Optional 3G/UMTS module

2.99€ on Amazon for the adapter.

We should make a standard headphone jack and include the adapter.

Last edited by a moderator:
#4 adds a question - to wire the headphone jack as normal standard or as Apple, and whether to put a switch on it to allow the ground/mic lines to be switched so that we could use either.
Everyone missed the 2nd half of the question.  Should we put a switch (software driven or hardware) on it to flip the ground/mic lines to be switched so that we could use either type.

It's not like it's rocket science to have an internal relay that simply flips the internal connection between ground and mic - which is all Apple actually did.  Yes, Apple should be spanked for doing so.  That's long over.  The reality is that most non-apple headphones with mic are done the Apple way.  Remember the Pyra is now a phone too.

Having a, "Pyra Configuration Options" line for "Headphone Type" defaulted to 'normal standard' with the option to change it to 'Other' would be a benefit.  Good sales point too.

Having a, "Pyra Configuration Options" line for "Headphone Type" defaulted to 'normal standard' with the option to change it to 'Other' would be a benefit. Good sales point too.
Like I said in the other thread about this.. that it would awesome to have the options labeled as 'standard' or 'stupid'(apple)

Having a, "Pyra Configuration Options" line for "Headphone Type" defaulted to 'normal standard' with the option to change it to 'Other' would be a benefit. Good sales point too.

Like I said in the other thread about this.. that it would awesome to have the options labeled as 'standard' or 'stupid'(apple)
Yes, or at least "standard" versus "violating standard (Apple)".

Yes, or at least "standard" versus "violating standard (Apple)".
"Standard" vs. "Backassward"

2.99€ on Amazon for the adapter.

We should make a standard headphone jack and include the adapter.
 I don't want to spend extra on my device just because we are including an adaptor for Apple crap. EvilDragon can sell that in the store, but it does not need to come bundled with the device.

Everyone missed the 2nd half of the question.  Should we put a switch (software driven or hardware) on it to flip the ground/mic lines to be switched so that we could use either type.
No I didn't. I just don't believe we should allow the option to circumvent standard in the device. As Askarus has pointed out, adaptors exist for this, and EvilDragon can even sell them on the DragonBox shop as Pyra accessories and make some extra cash from people who have crapple-compatible headsets.

-God Ginrai

n-gage.jpg
please dont. 

also for reverence, could be worse for us Germans, we could be in usa for example: http://gizmodo.com/the-price-of-500mb-of-mobile-data-across-the-world-1442047579
I wish people will stop bringing that up. Funny, but that's NOT what mean.
Even the Nokia N Gage QD fixed that. Xperia Play didn't have "side-talking".

I'm not taking about side-talking. lol

As much as I dislike Apple's bastardisation of standards,  the fact remains that many 3rd party headsets will be following Apple's pinouts and headset manufacturers don't tend to specify the pinout on the packaging.   If ED doesn't make an allowance for this he'll be shooting himself in the foot and punishing end users for something that isn't their fault.   Putting in a switch to select the headset pinout seems like a good compromise.

- Neelix

As much as I dislike Apple's bastardisation of standards,  the fact remains that many 3rd party headsets will be following Apple's pinouts and headset manufacturers don't tend to specify the pinout on the packaging.   If ED doesn't make an allowance for this he'll be shooting himself in the foot and punishing end users for something that isn't their fault.   Putting in a switch to select the headset pinout seems like a good compromise.

- Neelix
That's not shooting yourself in the foot, it's called smart business. No one will refrain from purchasing the Pyra from a small detail like that. Instead, they will want to buy an adaptor from him to make it work w/ their crapple-compatible headsets.

Also, all the phones I have owned have kept to standard, so it's not as far spread as you think. It's only Samsung who has really gone into it. And that's because they try to copy everything Apple does so that they can steal customers from them.

And finally: Putting in a switch isn't a "compromise". It's giving in. A compromise implies that both sides meet at the middle. Putting in the switch is extra cost and effort for EvilDragon and costs Apple nothing.

-God Ginrai

And finally: Putting in a switch isn't a "compromise". It's giving in. A compromise implies that both sides meet at the middle. Putting in the switch is extra cost and effort for EvilDragon and costs Apple nothing.
It is a compromise, but not between Apple and OpenPandora GmbH, but OpenPandora GmbH and market reality. I'm not fond of Apple deliberatly sabotageing common "standards" either, but part of that market is drifting in that direction, and that won't go away. So my definition of "smart" business would be to give customers the possibility to use both:If it doesn't add much to the costs, I say Ed should implement it (preferebly in software, if possible), otherwise stick to that what the Pandora already implements (to keep product continuity).

That's not shooting yourself in the foot, it's called smart business
Smart business is giving customers what they want. ED has had returns because the audio was "broken" and it's only going to be worse with the Pyra. Not giving in and holding strictly to the standard would be ideal but that's all it is: an ideal. Don't confuse ideals with smart business practices.That's not t say ED should give in just because it's the market friendly thing to do: frequently ideals are worth fighting for rather than compromising over.

My good headphones use the standard.

Just have the 2 EUR adapter in stock for those who use substandard headphones, and stick to the standard. No need to ship it with every device, but it may be a good idea to "suggest" getting the adapter to Pyra buyers. It would be useful on the Pandora and other devices too, and maybe there even are adapters that work both ways (allowing you to use standard headphones on nonstandard devices)?

A hardware switch would be nice too, if it does not take extra board space and doesn't complicate stuff or make things more fragile.

Just have the 2 EUR adapter in stock for those who use substandard headphones, and stick to the standard. No need to ship it with every device, but it may be a good idea to "suggest" getting the adapter to Pyra buyers. It would be useful on the Pandora and other devices too, and maybe there even are adapters that work both ways (allowing you to use standard headphones on nonstandard devices)?
If ED CAN find a supplier for it. The only difference between the two types is that two contacts are swapped, so by definition any adapter which fixes one of those use cases also fixes the other.

- Neelix

Back