Opensnes

That seems to be the case, but i think gcc 4.x.x generates faster code than ADS.
Anyway, i havn't tested it, so i can just say what i think in this matter.

Yo gotta fix the save state problem Reesy, because of you I've restarted playing SNES and now it seems I can't stop... please fix it!!!

reesy is the man to do it, but keep pestering him though cos he'll have the gp2x in his hands anytime now (if he already hasnt) and then it's hello dr md gp2x styleeeeeeeee :)

A little update as people seem to be quite interested in this. I've not made any progress with adding PocketSPC to OpenSnes, I'm still going through the code and trying to make sense of it.

I have succeded in improving the current sound core, I moved the sound rendering to a DMA interrupt driven system. A section of sound is now rendered and played using a DMA, when the DMA completes it uses a interrupt to render some more code to play. Its a very clean setup and saves having to do all the messing around that Yoyofr had to do before in order to get clean sound.

I've also noticed that there must be a bug in the "fastmode" option on the video menu because then this in enabled the sound crackles and when it is off the sound is clear.

I've still got to fix the BLU+ and saving problems but here is another release for people to play with.

Snes9xGPt.fxe

Important! In order for this horribly hacked version to work, you will need to use the following settings.

Video
Frameskip = anything but A because I'm working on it :)
Fastmode = OFF
Audio
Frequency = 11Khz
Quality = 16bits
Stereo = OFF

I think thats about it and it should work okay but if not just have a play around. I'll release a cleaner version later.

Reesy

P.S I'll release the source code after I've fixed the BLU+ and saving issues.

Oh and I've also increased the music volumne, which is what I'm most happy with :) I can finally hear the music without using headphones, ahh its the simple things in life.

Strange I've just been testing the save functions and they are working correctly. I can save menu options and save states without any problems. What happens when everybody else tries to save the menu options?

Thanks x68000, good to hear. Maybe they are having problems with older save states, I can't think why as I have not changed anything to do with the save state format.

wow, this is allready working really good!!
how will it ran fist a faster sound core?
Thanks reesy!!!

PS: Super Mario Land ist almost fullspeed with sound at FS1 on 166 ;)

Reesy posted on Oct 5 2005 at 04:12 PM said:
Strange I've just been testing the save functions and they are working correctly. I can save menu options and save states without any problems. What happens when everybody else tries to save the menu options?

Save fuctions are working for me.

Reesy, yet again you have performed another miracle, the sound is much improved and gameplay is smoother, I sense more donations heading your way ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The current sound core uses floating-point math, so I'm sure PocketSPC will run a lot faster.

Reesy posted on Oct 5 2005 at 06:14 PM said:
The current sound core uses floating-point math, so I'm sure PocketSPC will run a lot faster.

You da man, Reesy!

Reesy posted on Oct 5 2005 at 02:39 PM said:
A little update as people seem to be quite interested in this.

Interested!!?!

SNES on the GP32 has been the holy grail of emus ever since the GP32 has been out :)

It is great to see you working on this :)

I can't try yet (at work) but has the intensity bit thing been fixed? This makes it washed out on the BLU (you can compare the game "black" to the side bars) and it quite a bit lighter.

Thanks for the great progress :)

Well I removed it from where ever I could find it but the code is very messy so its very likely I missed something somewhere. You'll be better at judging then me, remember to turn the gamma right off though in the video menu ;)

Reesy posted on Oct 5 2005 at 07:11 PM said:
Well I removed it from where ever I could find it but the code is very messy so its very likely I missed something somewhere. You'll be better at judging then me, remember to turn the gamma right off though in the video menu ;)

Tried it it seems to be fixed :) It runs pretty nice too. Thanks for all of your work :)

Back