Drmd Beta 9

phoda posted on Jul 24 2005 at 04:06 PM said:
Raiden - The game plays fine and the graphics are fine too - the only problem is that the screen looks "shifted" to the left and the scoreboard does not appear.

Truxton / Tatsujin - same problem

almost all vertical scrolling shooters have this problem, and so does the best pinball game ever: devil crash.

this relese is very cool! just been playing it, and it almost hits 60/60 on vf2 @ 200mhz :)

Last edited by a moderator:
About the shumps- I was just playing Vapor Trail and no menu appears on the right hand side; sucks b/c its integral to the game (not that I'm bitching or anything; I'd take thunderforce IV over vapor trail any day :D)

@ Jaw- I'm sure you already know, but the pcengine version of Devil's Crash is fantastic

Reesy posted on Jul 24 2005 at 07:22 AM said:
Esn posted on Jul 24 2005 at 04:51 AM said:
for example, the music in Ristar and some other games sounded better in v1.0 than in v2.0).

I can fix this, but it would slow the emulator. I think I might add an "accurate sound" On/Off menu option. Currently I'm hacking a timer value in the FM emulaton which gives about an extra 4-5 fps but it does reduce the quality of sound slightly, if I emulate this timer correctly the sweet sound of v1.0 should return.

Thanks for pointing it out though, I've been waiting for someone to mention something. I've been working on the principal, "If they don't notice, then they don't mind" :).

@WarmFluffyUK: Thanks for updating your site, PM me an email address and I'll add it to my Beta distribution list.

Actually Reesy I noticed that the music was a bit off in Thunder force III. I guessed that it may be because the timers were not updated as much. It wasn't too bad and I noticed that the framerate was so much smoother. I was afraid that if I mentioned it you would change it and slow down the emu :p But if you put in an option that would be great.

It doesn't work on my GP32! :( :( :( All I get is either a BIOS error (all kinds, from "allignment" to "assignment something" etc.) or a blank white screen when I try to run it (lately it's been the blank white screen)... Does it need more than 1mb of space left over on the SMC maybe? Or do I have to rename the file to "DrMD.fxe"? I just don't know, all of the previous versions have worked... and it can't be the batteries because more processor-intensive emus like OSNES9xgp still run.

HELP!

Maybe I accidentally deleted some smaller file from GPMM that the emulator needed to run properly? Or perhaps my SMC is nearing the end of its life? :ph34r:

It's all gravy ;)

The menu in "Zombies ate my Neighbours" appears to have the same sorta problem as the shmups. It's static while the main screen scrolls, and it just displays garbled mess instead.

Big woot for Sonic and Knuckles 3 and Gunstar Heroes though!

Lurky posted on Jul 23 2005 at 03:50 AM said:
Super C on little John 0.4 is still the best portable contra for me so far.
I remember Contra:hard corps working great until level 3 in fgen, and then crashing at the boss, but maybe the problem was only on one version of fgen.

Which release of fgen do you use?
two things:
1 I have finished contra hard corps with the latest fgen version
2 contra hard cops is much better than super C for the nes, a little of please.

I know it`s still early days in PSPland, And DrMD has had quite sometime to mature thanks to the hard work from reesy. But DrMD wipes the floor with PSPGenesis, Especially for speed, Though maybe not for compatibility.
It is also So much more of a pleasure to play on the GP (Controls (8 way not 4), Screen size, Resolution and aspect ratio).

As i have said, Its early days (PSP wise), But the curiosity got the best of me and i did a little test.

Setup 1:

PSP 1.5 firmware
PSPGenesis17 (Megadrive emulator)
Thunderforce IV Rom (I have the original :p)

Setup 2:

GP32 BLU Original (204mhz)
DrMD Beta9 (v2.5)
Thunderforce IV Rom (I have the original :p)

For this test i set both systems to the highest stable clock (GP=200mhz) and (PSP=333mhz)

I set the PSP to normal screen mode (AR 1:1 320x224) to match the GP and set the audio on the GP to 22050hz, No option available in PSPGenesis.

I turned off auto frame skip on both systems, and set frame skip to 1 (FS 0 was not really playable on either system).

Results:

GP32:
The GP was very smooth to play, I was able to see everything on screen without squinting and controls were very easiy to manage, Though are quite sensitive as we all know.

PSP:
The PSP Stuttered like crazy and the sound jumped all over the place, The screen was way too small at AR 1:1 and i had to squint to what was going on. The controls with the dpad were awkward to say the least, It`s sooo damed difficult to hit diagonals with the PSP (and Playstation for that matter) bloody 4 point dpad <_< .

These are my own observations and opinions and you can draw your own conclusions from them. :rolleyes:

Trooper

trooper posted on Jul 25 2005 at 09:52 PM said:

You should compare both emus using 166 mhz clock speed because 99.9999999% of GP32's can't be overclocked so high.

A600 posted on Jul 25 2005 at 09:37 PM said:
trooper posted on Jul 25 2005 at 09:52 PM said:

You should compare both emus using 166 mhz clock speed because 99.9999999% of GP32's can't be overclocked so high.

But the PSP can not be clocked that low, Or at least there is not an option to at the moment.

Anyway, The PSP stuttered and spluttered @333mhz at frameskip 1 in PSPGenesis17 running Thunderforce IV, I would hate to see how it would perform @ 166mhz :eek: .

Not quite true. :)

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...l=pencil++trick

Trooper

Once the PSP developers have worked out how to use the PSP's hardware correctly the emulators for the PSP will be far more superior the GP32's emulators, including DrMD but its nice that we're giving them a run for their money at the moment.

At the moment I'm guessing that PSPGenesis17 is only using one of the PSP' cpus and is just using the PSP graphics hardware as a dumb frame buffer. Give it a few more months and the developers will really start to do some amazing stuff, look at what the GBA can do with its graphics hardware, now imagine what a GBA could do with a 300Mhz cpu :).

Don't worry I'm not planning on moving to the PSP, Most of my code is in Arm ASM so not much use on a PSP.

Reesy posted on Jul 26 2005 at 06:17 AM said:
Once the PSP developers have worked out how to use the PSP's hardware correctly the emulators for the PSP will be far more superior the GP32's emulators, including DrMD but its nice that we're giving them a run for their money at the moment. 

At the moment I'm guessing that PSPGenesis17 is only using one of the PSP' cpus and is just using the PSP graphics hardware as a dumb frame buffer.  Give it a few more months and the developers will really start to do some amazing stuff, look at what the GBA can do with its graphics hardware, now imagine what a GBA could do with a 300Mhz cpu :).

Don't worry I'm not planning on moving to the PSP,  Most of my code is in Arm ASM so not much use on a PSP.

Well yeah if you base the superiority of the PSP emus on speed alone yes they will be better.

But if you consider other things on the PSP like aspect ratio that makes the screen smaller at 1:1, blurring and ghosting on the slow response LCD, terrible d-pad control, the GP32 one still stands up in other areas. It will be worth a slightly lower framerate once in awhile for some of us.

And assuming the GP32II ,if it ever comes out, will be a faster ARM and BC it will run DrMD faster anyway :)

Esn posted on Jul 25 2005 at 02:10 PM said:
It doesn't work on my GP32! :( :( :( All I get is either a BIOS error (all kinds, from "allignment" to "assignment something" etc.) or a blank white screen when I try to run it (lately it's been the blank white screen)... Does it need more than 1mb of space left over on the SMC maybe? Or do I have to rename the file to "DrMD.fxe"? I just don't know, all of the previous versions have worked... and it can't be the batteries because more processor-intensive emus like OSNES9xgp still run.

HELP!

Maybe I accidentally deleted some smaller file from GPMM that the emulator needed to run properly? Or perhaps my SMC is nearing the end of its life? :ph34r:

Anyway, this is exactly what I get when I try to run DrMDbeta9:

GP32 Bios Monitor v0.4 © Mr. Spiv

Exception: one of:Undefined Instruction, Prefetch Abort, Translation, etc.

Registers:

r0: 00000085
r1: 0C000000
r2: 00128DEC
r3: 0C0016F4
r4: 0C000000
r5: 0C10708C
r6: 0C10708C
r7: 0C18778C
r8: 0C128DEC
r9: 0C18778C
r10:0000000C
r11:2C128DEC
r12:0C7AFF00
r13:0C7AFB30
r14:0C00170C
lr: 0C094888

CP15 Resisters:

0: 41129200 ID & Cache
1: C000107F Control
2: 0C79C000 TLB Address
3: 55555551 Domain
4: 00000000 MMU Reserved
5: 000000F7 Fault Status
6: FFFFFFFF Fault Addr
9: 00000000 DCache Lock
9: 00000000 ICache Lock
10: 01600000 TLB DLockdwn
10: 00F00000 TLB ILockdown
13: 00000000 Process ID
15: 00000000 Impl Defined

SPSR: 60000053
CPSR: 600000DB

^some of these change slightly from time to time
Now does anybody know what it could mean? :( I don't think it's my SMC because I copied some other new programs onto it and they all work. Also, sometimes it just gives me a blank screen when I try to start it.

Corrupt card ?, Try formatting the card. Dodgy download ?, Try redownloading DrMD. Batteries, Try fresh ones.

Other than thoughs suggestions, Not much else i can think of.

Trooper

Quiest posted on Jul 25 2005 at 05:26 AM said:
Virtua Fighter 2. It works quite well.

I've just tried Beta 9 for the first time today (yeah I'm slow), and it's a very good improvement all round - many games working 100%, others with only small problems and so on.

But I'm disappointed that Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker STILL does not work. It's doing the same as always - after the title screen it displays 'sorry but Jimmy White's Whirldwind Snooker can only be run on PAL or SECAM systems'. I've tried setting the country settings to Europe (50fps) but that doesn't work either.

I'm at my wits end with this one. Am I really the only person who wants to play this game?

Back