OpenPandora is NOT dead!

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Just thought I'd make a quick news post here in the official news section, as Craigs downfall of OpenPandora Ltd. is currently going through the news and to his remaining customers.

One important thing upfront:

OpenPandora Ltd. in UK is NOT OpenPandora GmbH in Germany

I am the owner of OpenPandora GmbH in Germany, and that company does not have ANY money issues or similar. All of my preorder customers have received their units quite a while ago and production is still running strong (though we're currently out of units until the next batch in December arrives).

And yes, a successor of the Pandora is being planned. And no, I cannot tell you when it will be ready (probably 2 months™ ;) )

What does that mean for still waiting customer of OpenPandora Ltd.?

Not much. OP Ltd. has been unable to pay refunds for quite a while now.

The reason we created the survey was that OpenPandora GmbH and the community can help Craigs remaining preorders, regardless what happens with OpenPandora Ltd.

You will still be able to get the Pandora for a discounted price or with the help of the community donations.

BTW: My shop is now also accepting Bitcoins, and as they have risen significantly in value lately, it's a good way to get your upgrade in case you had bitcoins lying around for a while now.

So:
As long as there are Pandoras available, everyone of Craigs remaining customer can get them for production cost or lower (with community donations).

Well... that does lead us to another question:

When will the Pandora REALLY be dead?

We've only got a limited amount of parts, and some are already end of life so we can't buy anymore.

The production of the final Pandora batch has been started. There will be 500 more 1GHz and 150 more Rebirth units.

Well... and that's that. There will be a few more classics, but after that, production will most probably stop (unless we get a huge demand so it makes sense to change the PCB design to replace a few end-of-life parts...)

When all Pandoras have been sold - what happens to the remaining preorders?

No worries, the money will STILL not be lost.

Hopefully, most of the remaining Pandoras will go to Craigs remaining customers, but you never know.

In case there still are some left, then I'll move that discount over to the successor... even though I cannot tell you when it will be released.

So people who originally opted for a CC unit from Openpandora Ltd, or who ignored the survey email entirely can still email you and select an amount to contribute to join the 1Ghz upgrade list? That's really generous!

So people who originally opted for a CC unit from Openpandora Ltd, or who ignored the survey email entirely can still email you and select an amount to contribute to join the 1Ghz upgrade list? That's really generous!
It was always possible to change the option you chose on the survey list!

I can't help anyone who ignored the survey mail though - I can't find out whether that order is valid or not :/

That's why the survey mail explicitely said you should NOT ignore it.

Hope you arent sitting on too many bitcoins at the time. Would a theoretical refund have to be paid in the same amount of bitcoin? Trading legal merchandise in a legal manner opens up some very interesting prospects.

So in order to get a Pandora if you were in Craig's list you need to spend more money?  This is the only way to receive anything, be it a unit or a refund?

Hope you arent sitting on too many bitcoins at the time. Would a theoretical refund have to be paid in the same amount of bitcoin? Trading legal merchandise in a legal manner opens up some very interesting prospects.
I won't sit on any bitcoins, they will be converted to EUR right away.

So in order to get a Pandora if you were in Craig's list you need to spend more money? This is the only way to receive anything, be it a unit or a refund?
No, you can also choose to wait and hope for community donations.

The more you can afford yourself, the more likely is it youn will get the unit though.

@ ED

Good Idea to open this Thread.

I think many People are afraid what happen now

and this Thread says them the Truth and no Rumors.

This correct the thinking that its all over in the Mind of People.

Its not over..

..it feel like someone cuttet the left Hand but the right Hand work without the left Hand too.

I believe in this Project and Yesterday Evening got i F1Remake work on the Pandora.

Ported with Glshim and Slackware.

It run slow,but run with Sound.

I also work on Wine a little too and found Yesterday a Way with Winetricks to install the Corefonts,DX9 and VBrun600.

Maybe i can run a good Gecko too with it ;)

The Pandora is a realy awesome Device and i love it.

You do so much for us all,many THX and dont forget to sleep sometimes :)

I wish I could afford a second GHz Pandora… I still have to order an EXT connector and a complete case.

ED thank you for the update.

This update gives me a much better feeling then the conversations before.

When all Pandoras have been sold - what happens to the remaining preorders?

No worries, the money will STILL not be lost.

Hopefully, most of the remaining Pandoras will go to Craigs remaining customers, but you never know.

In case there still are some left, then I'll move that discount over to the successor... even though I cannot tell you when it will be released.
Will there certainly be a successor?

Are you already working on it, do you have any specs?

If is sure that there will be a successor with nice specs I probably don't mind to be shifted to the waiting list for this device.

Can I still change the reaction in my survey?

In the survey it was not clear at all that there if there will be a successor.

Can I still change the reaction in my survey?

In the survey it was not clear at all that there if there will be a successor.
It was always possible to change the option you chose on the survey list!

I can't help anyone who ignored the survey mail though - I can't find out whether that order is valid or not :/

That's why the survey mail explicitely said you should NOT ignore it.

If anyone sees any posts that are not clear about the state of the Pandora (Craig's store vs ED's store) then please post about it on the forum, so a bunch of people can quickly comment to rectify the story. We have a chance to try and help out a little here to ensure there is no confusion and that ED can continue to make the Pandora a success.

@EvilDragon it is truly bloody amazing that you have sorted out all your initial preorders, sold a bunch more units, and now posting about the realistic potential of selling every last Pandora that can be currently made. When we look back at all the problems that needed to be overcome, it seemed like it would be impossible at one point, but again, amazing work. I'm not sure if you have already or not, but maybe it would be worthwhile attempting to set up some interviews/articles with any gaming site that may cover the Pandora, make sure they cover the real facts instead of saying the Pandora is dead; maybe it could even drum up business too.

believe in this Project and Yesterday Evening got i F1Remake work on the Pandora. Ported with Glshim and Slackware. It run slow,but run with Sound.
(sorry for the offtopic, but I too have a working F1-Spirit remake on the work. I have heavily optimize my build, and get 30~50fps on my gigahertz, if you don't mind, I'll release my build soon)

If anyone sees any posts that are not clear about the state of the Pandora (Craig's store vs ED's store) then please post about it on the forum, so a bunch of people can quickly comment to rectify the story. We have a chance to try and help out a little here to ensure there is no confusion and that ED can continue to make the Pandora a success.

@EvilDragon it is truly bloody amazing that you have sorted out all your initial preorders, sold a bunch more units, and now posting about the realistic potential of selling every last Pandora that can be currently made. When we look back at all the problems that needed to be overcome, it seemed like it would be impossible at one point, but again, amazing work. I'm not sure if you have already or not, but maybe it would be worthwhile attempting to set up some interviews/articles with any gaming site that may cover the Pandora, make sure they cover the real facts instead of saying the Pandora is dead; maybe it could even drum up business too.
I don't think even if ED sells every last Pandora he has left it would have been financially successful for him thanks to Craig's colossal fuckups.  However where it might pay off is the shear amount of goodwill and loyal customers who would prefer to buy things from his shop.  The predecessor might make it successful for him though and I wish him all the best with it.  I too would also like my Pandora 2. :)

believe in this Project and Yesterday Evening got i F1Remake work on the Pandora. Ported with Glshim and Slackware. It run slow,but run with Sound.
(sorry for the offtopic, but I too have a working F1-Spirit remake on the work. I have heavily optimize my build, and get 30~50fps on my gigahertz, if you don't mind, I'll release my build soon)
Were you able to work around the texture corruption on the track?

I discussed that with lunixbochs some time ago.

Were you able to work around the texture corruption on the track?

I discussed that with lunixbochs some time ago.
BTW: Any idea where he is?

Was hoping for WINE and quemu but there was never a PND.

Back