Open2x Dr7 For F100 And F200

Looking forward to a new Open2X revision.
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive been using Open2X for quite a few months now, mostly for games and Love it! I haven't used it for video as I have other PMPs at my disposal, and my GP2X is for pure gaming goodness. A friend just got his GP2X recently, and I urged him to upgrade the firmware to Open2x, and he noticed that the video I talked him through encoding was having sync problems. I thought it was just with his unit, until I tried mine and saw that I had the same audio/video sync problem. Both of our videos worked fine in compatibility mode. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a simple setting I'm missing? I love Open2x but I also have literally hundreds of gigs of pre encoded GP2X video(3 years worth)I'd like to view without using TVout which Ive read Open2x rocks at.

Any Ideas if there's some settings I've overlooked? Thanks in advance for any input.

-P.S all my video is encoded at ntsc if that helps.

Morpheus384 said:
Ive been using Open2X for quite a few months now, mostly for games and Love it! I haven't used it for video as I have other PMPs at my disposal, and my GP2X is for pure gaming goodness. A friend just got his GP2X recently, and I urged him to upgrade the firmware to Open2x, and he noticed that the video I talked him through encoding was having sync problems. I thought it was just with his unit, until I tried mine and saw that I had the same audio/video sync problem. Both of our videos worked fine in compatibility mode. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a simple setting I'm missing? I love Open2x but I also have literally hundreds of gigs of pre encoded GP2X video(3 years worth)I'd like to view without using TVout which Ive read Open2x rocks at.

Any Ideas if there's some settings I've overlooked? Thanks in advance for any input.

-P.S all my video is encoded at ntsc if that helps.

I had similar problems recently when I tried to reencode DVDs into a format suitable for the GP2X. It was a 3 hour long Divx file and would go out of sync constantly unless you occasionally fast-forwarded or rewinded. I didn't have the same problem with some older Divx files that I played directly on the GP2X, no reencoding, when I first released DR6. I watched three Star Wars movies in a row with TV-out and at no time did it lose sync. Nor did it lose sync with other movies I watched that week. Very strange, I'll look into it, maybe tell Lithosphere about it in IRC.

is there a way to use a different theme for 'compatibility' mode? i don't like the default Gamepark Holdings default theme for the standard GUI, and there are some nice user-made ones out there.

also, when renaming links from the desktop, is there a way to use capital letters?

hitbyambulance said:
is there a way to use a different theme for 'compatibility' mode? i don't like the default Gamepark Holdings default theme for the standard GUI, and there are some nice user-made ones out there.

also, when renaming links from the desktop, is there a way to use capital letters?

As for the themes: I am not sure how to install one but honestly I have so many other things to do I am pretty sure this won't get done :(

A for the renaming of links: I believe it's the button "Y" you press to toggle between the different keyboard character sets. Look down below and there should be a listing of a button you press and it will let you insert capital letters and punctuation.

angent_orange said:
Any reason why Final Burn Alpha crashes when I try to run it in TV mode?

It is, IIRC, a bug in the launcher (not FBA itself). It is closed-source and the author(s) wouldn't return my emails or PMs so there is nothing I could do. I am sorry! (This might be mentioned in the README, can't remember)

Senor Quack said:
angent_orange said:

It is, IIRC, a bug in the launcher (not FBA itself). It is closed-source and the author(s) wouldn't return my emails or PMs so there is nothing I could do. I am sorry! (This might be mentioned in the README, can't remember)

Hmmm, thanks for the insight. Is there really no solution to this at all?

angent_orange said:
Senor Quack said:
angent_orange said:

Hmmm, thanks for the insight. Is there really no solution to this at all?

If one were to create custom launch scripts for each game one wished to play through FBA using TVout, it should allow you to play without a crash. In other words, bypass the launcher (the launcher was created by Jycet and perhaps someone else IIRC). You would need to find out what parameters the launcher is passing to FBA (probably things like the ROM file location, the sound frequency, etc etc) and just create a launch script manually for each ROM you wish to play.

If I wasn't in the woods right now using a communal laptop and had a few weeks of free time I would create new launchers myself but unfortunately I won't have the time for at least 7 months. Someone else could step up. The best option is probably to try to get in touch with the authors of the launcher and notify them of the bug. As mentioned above, I tried this already but I didn't try more than once because I was very busy.

Senor Quack said:
Javacat said:
Also, is there a new version of Open2X due out soon?? I see this current release is from april. Is Open2X still being actively developed?
Right now it's only mainly only being worked on by me and there are still some bugs to fix and features I'd like to add. I can't say when the next version will be out as I have a busy job and will be doing a long hiking trip and be away from a computer for about half a year this summer so who knows. I just fixed the SDHC bug hopefully, and that was last week. I am also working on a cool GP2X port of a famous SHUMP game that I think everyone will be surprised to see and also maybe happy to see.
Just a shot in the dark, will there be an Open2X DR8 for F100 and F200 with the new features you mentioned, o2xiv updates (Open2X Image Viewer) and those bugs fixed in the pipe line due for release? Only wondering.
rolleyes.gif

Hm, you know, that you can update old software (like the image viewer) by yourself?

I don't think, that open2x is still continued.

senorcuack said he would release DR8 ("an update" in his words) including o2xiv and some other fixes arroung the time I uploaded the uploaded the fixes for o2xiv.......and that was, let's see......3 months ago.
i'm not saying it's dead but maybe he's busy with work/colege/other proyects. i couldn't finish o2xiv because of work and now colege, so maybe he had problems with life too.

Last I heard he was pretty busy sorting stuff back after coming back from hiking. There may be another release in the future, who knows, but I don't really have time to do one at the moment. We never bothered automating the process, so it's quite labour intensive to put one together, and then it needs to be tested in case something was done wrong..

Hello,
I'm trying to recompile the open2x kernel.
I grab the latest from SVN, compile it using the prebuilt toolchain, but it fails. It looks like the current sources do not compile.
Is there a "stable" source archive somewhere ?

albator said:
Hello,
I grab the latest from SVN, compile it using the prebuilt toolchain, but it fails. It looks like the current sources do not compile.

The kernel requires using a older GCC, I believe, compared to the rest of the Open2X toolchain. I.E., you cannot use GCC 3.xx to build it. I think there is a link to the separate kernel-only prebuilt toolchain on the open2x website. That is the solution if you have not been using it.. If this is not the case reply here and let me know and I can try building it later today.

Orkie said:
Last I heard he was pretty busy sorting stuff back after coming back from hiking. There may be another release in the future, who knows, but I don't really have time to do one at the moment. We never bothered automating the process, so it's quite labour intensive to put one together, and then it needs to be tested in case something was done wrong..

laharl said:
senorcuack said he would release DR8 ("an update" in his words) including o2xiv and some other fixes arroung the time I uploaded the uploaded the fixes for o2xiv.......and that was, let's see......3 months ago.
i'm not saying it's dead but maybe he's busy with work/colege/other proyects. i couldn't finish o2xiv because of work and now colege, so maybe he had problems with life too.

Yeah I just got done with some summer college classes that were pretty intensely paced. But I've been thinking of the loose ends in Open2X, many little things, especially updating O2XIV and adding mass storage gadget USB support. I need to get an environment set up again under VirtualBox.

One of my other goals is to come up with a way to block statically-linked SDL programs from screwing with the TV-out registers like they all currently do. That would make near-100% TV-out compatibility and configurability possible. Also, I need to add TV-out-enabled-on-boot Open2X menu option as well, to support those using Open2X for modding projects like mini-cabinets, or stuff like bacteria's handheld, etc. Also maybe support added to the TV-tweaker for live adjustments that would be saved permanently for each prorgram. I would also like to get maybe a USB TV-input dongle off DealExtreme that supports PAL, so I can really get a feel for what tweaks and fixes are needed . I haven't been able to do this because of me living in the US with only NTSC stuff.

One other important goal is to fix video playing problems, especially sync problems, that is a biggie. Another biggie is to switch the default SDHC driver to be the original GPH one, this was available as a patch from me earlier in this or another thread. Make the current one available as a patch if it turns out to be needed but from what I remember the GPH driver is significantly more compatible with SD cards overall. The last real biggie I can think of right now is to solve the mmuhack-related bugs, most easily seen in Mame right now.

As for pie-in-the-sky ideas: I think ensuring real, usable touchscreen navigation in GMenu2X is possible would be really cool. Not sure how far Ryo got with that in his Pandora version or if we can easily backport that or other changes..

Senor Quack said:
albator said:
Hello,

The kernel requires using a older GCC, I believe, compared to the rest of the Open2X toolchain. I.E., you cannot use GCC 3.xx to build it. I think there is a link to the separate kernel-only prebuilt toolchain on the open2x website. That is the solution if you have not been using it.. If this is not the case reply here and let me know and I can try building it later today.

Thanks a lot.
I was aware there were 2 gcc for open2x, but I messed up with my $PATH and I was compiling kernel with gcc 4.1 instead of gcc 3.3 !
And the "open2x-kernel.sh" adds the gcc 3.3 at the end of the PATH, not at the beginning, so it did not prevent my mistake ...

I installed this awhile back but never really got to use the SDHC function (as I didn't have anything larger than 2GB previously) and just wanted to say that a 32GB Class 4 card works perfectly on my good ol' F100 first edition. Amazing stuff. I know this is old and probably not being worked on anymore, but I hope to see an update one day for such a great piece of work. Nonetheless, if it is never updated again, it is a much appreciated upgrade to the F100 (and F200) and it is HIGHLY recommended for anyone with these systems.

Can someone repost the Dr7 for the F-100, the links in the startpost don't work anymore.

Thanks in advance

Back