Release Oolite

Heheh.. judging by that laser colour, you've been upsetting the constabulary again, I see.. :D
Its always the same wherever you go.. goad a copper and theres always someone with a camera :) (having been one for years until recently i can definately vouch for that lol!)

Hmmm, ok, next week, I'll try to play with the 1.79 git source, to see if I can easily compile a new Pandora version...

Last edited by a moderator:
I started reading this thread thinking "why on earth would they not have ported oolite to the Pandora a long time ago". From applying some thought and reading through here I realised, of course, that there is the matter of limited resources and that old Elite emulated would be fine since it was written on low resource systems. I also discovered some interesting things about the oolite AI that I didn't realise were so far ahead of the original game.

Great job ptitSeb.

EDIT: Will the Pandora build need a 1GHz unit to work?

I started reading this thread thinking "why on earth would they not have ported oolite to the Pandora a long time ago". From applying some thought and reading through here I realised, of course, that there is the matter of limited resources and that old Elite emulated would be fine since it was written on low resource systems. I also discovered some interesting things about the oolite AI that I didn't realise were so far ahead of the original game.

Great job ptitSeb.

EDIT: Will the Pandora build need a 1GHz unit to work?
The oolite port will and does work brilliantly on any unit, I've a CC Pandora, and with a swap file, the gae plays flawlessly, the only pressure is placed with the AddOns, some of wich can be memory intensive. Just for info ive been writing a oolite on the Pandora review kinda write-up which will be available tomorrow, it will hopefully give you some ideas to any addons you may like or ideas in general.

The oolite port will and does work brilliantly on any unit, I've a CC Pandora, and with a swap file, the gae plays flawlessly, the only pressure is placed with the AddOns, some of wich can be memory intensive. Just for info ive been writing a oolite on the Pandora review kinda write-up which will be available tomorrow, it will hopefully give you some ideas to any addons you may like or ideas in general.
Great news about your Review. Can't wait to read it.

So, are you feeling better now?

Having been away for a while, i've not had time, until now, to finish the review/info/write-up that i said i would do for oolite on the Pandora. I've manged to bring together some info / guide for new users etc, hopefully people will find it useful. If there are any comments about content etc, anything that they would like added removed or found out, please let me know and i'll add it. Hope this is an easy and enjoyable read :)

You can get it HERE.. or the link below.

Edit: file edited 00:30 10/6 - as found that the added Elite story wasn't linking properly back n forth between pdf's, hopefully fixed now, sorry about that to those already downloaded, theres NO content change - but pls feel free to have anything added or expanded on :)

Pandora oOlite.pdf

Attachments

• Pandora oOlite.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 647
Between ptitSeb's fine work and milink's great info I think Oolite is looking like one of the first things I will be trying when I get my Pandora :D

Having been away for a while, i've not had time, until now, to finish the review/info/write-up that i said i would do for oolite on the Pandora. I've manged to bring together some info / guide for new users etc, hopefully people will find it useful. If there are any comments about content etc, anything that they would like added removed or found out, please let me know and i'll add it. Hope this is an easy and enjoyable read :)

You can get it HERE.. or the link below.
Woha, huge work!!! Looks great. I have a done a quick first read, and I'll need to read it more carefully now (Hmmm, seems like I'll have to check v1.79/v1.80 soon :p )

Wow, just checked out Milink's work. I'll have to check it out in more detail tomorrow, but my first impression is it's not so much a review as an 'everything you wanted to know about Oolite, but were too afraid to ask' kinda thing. Even if it's not the usual fare for Pandoralive it's a fascinating document.

Having identified a number of spelling errors in the oolite PDF, I've decided to hold off correcting them for a few days, just in-case there are any requests as to adding content etc, so that I'm not throwing repeated updates out. Also, it will give me time to look at the PDF and see if it can be improved.

Wow.. what an epic write-up!  Kudos, mate, and congratulations.

Please be sure to post this in the Pandora thread over at the Oolite BB..

only thing i would say as i read this now is that the oolite logo is too overpowering. it is making it hard to read the title and first paragraph.  maybe make it more transparent?or even shrink it and move it between the pandora and the first paragraph?

im sure you have caught a few spelling mistakes.. OXZ not OZX.. lol   and oOlite or Oolite?

All i can say is WOW.. what a monumental effort and well done , it was a very interesting read

im sure you have caught a few spelling mistakes.. OXZ not OZX.. lol   and oOlite or Oolite?
I think there were 2 or 3 paragraphs that got accidentally repeated, as well.. but given the monumental size of the document, that's pretty minor, and easily missed.

A new font for Oolite has just been released by edgepixel.. it looks pretty darn good, and might be a good choice for Pandora users.

mJTrCHT.jpg

PSnzS1f.jpg

You can get it here:

http://aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16559

I'd be interested to know if it's an improvement over the default font for Pandora users.

As I briefly mentioned on the other boards it unfortunately doesn't solve the problem with legibility on the Galactic Charts.

The issue there isn't so much the font as the font size. I do tend to wonder how the chart labels would look in Andale Mono though... I seem to recall that it was designed to be legible at very small point sizes.

See the attached screenshots to see what it looks like with the default font and with edgepixel's font.

(keep also in mind that the Pandora Screen has a 4.3"  diagonal, so has a fairly high pixel density of 217ppi, so the screenshot may appear larger on some monitors than it does on the pandora itself)

- Neelix

oolite-003.png

oolite-004.png

Hmm, I don't really have a problem on the galactic chart any more, perhaps because I've learned many of the names of planets, in Galaxy 1 anyway. The new font looks better writ large, especially for numbers where the wider digits, for example in the date, make it more readable to me. But in the galactic chart it could do with being a little bolder, to retain some more contrast when shrunken.

Ok.. thanks for the feedback.. edgepixel seems to be some kind of font-wizard, so I'll pass this along to them and see if they can help.

whats needed is a zoom function for the galactic chart. zoom double size when looking at the 7Ly circle or full screen when a contract takes you from one side of the chart to the other... just a thought.

Back