Release Oolite

You're not running his Accessories though, so it'll still need to load the default asteroids and space stations and whathaveyou. Dunno if they're stored in the default ship file, or a separate file though.
Thing is i am running the Accessories OXP, I'll have to remove them and see where the problems lie.

I'm still having no luck with this. Completely fresh Super Zaxxon 1.62, vanilla oolite, no OXP's, with or without flash and I still get freezes during in system Jumps. I've also tried dispensing with the torus drive and using TAF increases (Timeslip.oxp). Weeeeird.

I notice that in the "Configure Joysticks" menu it's possible to set a "Roll/pitch precision toggle" but I haven't found a way to assign it to a key. (It ignores all key presses if I try to assign it in the normal way) My impression is that if I could enable this it would allow me to make fine adjustments to my pitch with the left nub, which would theoretically be incredibly useful when trying to aim my lasers. (I normally use the dpad, but often find that I skip over the target several times before I get a lock) I could be mistaken about what it does of course as there currently seems to be no way to enable it, so I've not been able to test it.

Is there any way to assign a key to this function?

- Neelix

I've also tried dispensing with the torus drive and using TAF increases (Timeslip.oxp). Weeeeird.
Hmm.. TAF ought not be available at all..  this would indicate that ptitSeb used the code for the Oolite "test" version rather than the "deployment" version.  The test version is only intended for use by developers and OXP authors.  TAF has been removed from the version intended for ordinary gameplay, as it can result in various problems with scripts, particularly OXP scripts.  This may even be the source of some of the symptoms Pandora players have experienced.  The test version includes additional debugging and development tools, and various sanity checks.  It runs slower than the deployment version.

I would suggest that ptitSeb compile a "deployment" release for Pandora, and see if it fixes or improves the various issues seen to date.

I notice that in the "Configure Joysticks" menu it's possible to set a "Roll/pitch precision toggle" but I haven't found a way to assign it to a key. (It ignores all key presses if I try to assign it in the normal way) My impression is that if I could enable this it would allow me to make fine adjustments to my pitch with the left nub, which would theoretically be incredibly useful when trying to aim my lasers. (I normally use the dpad, but often find that I skip over the target several times before I get a lock) I could be mistaken about what it does of course as there currently seems to be no way to enable it, so I've not been able to test it.

- Neelix
In a word, no, there isn't.  As originally written, the joystick precision toggle can only be assigned to a joystick button, not a keyboard key.  The case of a system with what amounts to a built-in joystick was never envisaged.  It would probably need re-coding by ptitSeb to resolve this situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also tried dispensing with the torus drive and using TAF increases (Timeslip.oxp). Weeeeird.

Hmm.. TAF ought not be available at all..  this would indicate that ptitSeb used the code for the Oolite "test" version rather than the "deployment" version.  The test version is only intended for use by developers and OXP authors.  TAF has been removed from the version intended for ordinary gameplay, as it can result in various problems with scripts, particularly OXP scripts.  This may even be the source of some of the symptoms Pandora players have experienced.  The test version includes additional debugging and development tools, and various sanity checks.  It runs slower than the deployment version.

I would suggest that ptitSeb compile a "deployment" release for Pandora, and see if it fixes or improves the various issues seen to date.
Oh, I was sure I compiled a release version, but I'll double check and eventualy compile a proper one

- Neelix

In a word, no, there isn't.  As originally written, the joystick precision toggle can only be assigned to a joystick button, not a keyboard key.  The case of a system with what amounts to a built-in joystick was never envisaged.  It would probably need re-coding by ptitSeb to resolve this situation.
Ok, I can probably hardcode a key for that, but, which key?

My impression is that if I could enable this it would allow me to make fine adjustments to my pitch with the left nub, which would theoretically be incredibly useful when trying to aim my lasers. (I normally use the dpad, but often find that I skip over the target several times before I get a lock) I could be mistaken about what it does of course as there currently seems to be no way to enable it, so I've not been able to test it.
You're correct.. it is tremendously useful when aiming.  (and docking, btw!) I think even the Oolite Wiki recommends it for combat.

In the next version of Oolite, things are going to get even better.. You'll be able to set a full joystick profile.. with variable deadzone settings, and two different modes of independently settable non-linear response curves, for each controller axis.  Once you get it set up right, precision mode isn't even really necessary.. instead, it's as if precision mode is wired into the way your stick responds.  In fact, precision mode in 1.77.1 feels clumsy by comparison,  This discussion (with screenshots) will give you some idea of what's coming.

Oh, I was sure I compiled a release version, but I'll double check and eventualy compile a proper one
My method of playing with TAF was via the Timeslip.oxp. I have no indication that this is actually working. The game appears to warp just as if Timeslip.oxp isn't installed so therefore TAF may not actually be available and ptitSeb may have used the stable build. Apologies for the bumsteer.

So, I checked, and it's not a debug build. Everything debug-wise is already disabled.

I still haven't switched to 1.79 codebase (I suspect, reading the amount of differences, that I may have some work in the switch), so still based on 1.77.1, but I have added the precision roll/pitch toggle using Backspace.

Build 05

----------

• Added "backspace" to toggle precision Joystick (left nub) roll/pitch

Awesome. I guess with this I could stick with d-pad for main aiming, but have the nub on high-precision so I can switch to that if I'm having difficulty getting a lock.

Has 1.79 even been released yet? If not, I'm happy with 1.71.1 until it has, especially as the stable release is still 1.76.

Has 1.79 even been released yet? If not, I'm happy with 1.71.1 until it has, especially as the stable release is still 1.76.
No..  the only word on a release date is "soon".  Which I'd interpret as meaning "probably within the next 6 months".  At the moment the (numerous) new features are still being tested and debugged, and occasionally added..

So far as "stable" goes, it's important to remember that in the coding world, this term refers to "feature-stable" and in no way indicates what users tend to think of "stable", in the sense of "does the program crash or not".  In a crashing/freezing sense, 1.77.1 is very stable.  For that matter, most of the time (subject to changes in the code on any given day, of course), 1.79 is stable in that sense also.

At some point after 1.79 has been released (for a public testing phase, akin to the current situation with 1.77.1), it will go into "feature lock", after which no new features will be added, but only bug-fixes applied.  Once we are reasonably sure that there are no obvious bugs remaining, it will be released as the next "stable" version, 1.80.  It has been decided that due to how far along the new features and improvements in 1.79 are, there will not be a 1.78 release.  (Since 1.75, Oolite has adopted the Linux Kernel numbering system, whereby versions ending in an odd number are "test" releases, and even numbers are "stable" releases.)

So here I am, halfway through a lucrative passenger contract run, when I happen upon a massive space battle occurring right there in the Aegis of the main station at Solageon. Being a responsible passenger pilot, I didn't get involved with the fight, but I did feel the need to stick around long enough to do my civic duty and help clear up the debris. After all... all those cargo containers were clogging up the spacelane... ;)

- Neelix

Yeah, I'd like it to be easier to just buy 10t of something, to leave a bit of cargo space for the inevitable cargo that ends up suspiciously floating around you during your travels.

I'm currently in mission 1, currently rather a long way away from Reesdice having travelled all the way along lane 3 and 4 on the hunt for that naughty thief. Where oh where can he be?

I'm currently in mission 1, currently rather a long way away from Reesdice having travelled all the way along lane 3 and 4 on the hunt for that naughty thief. Where oh where can he be?
Check your f7 screen regularly for clues.. ;)

So here I am, halfway through a lucrative passenger contract run, when I happen upon a massive space battle occurring right there in the Aegis of the main station at Solageon. Being a responsible passenger pilot, I didn't get involved with the fight, but I did feel the need to stick around long enough to do my civic duty and help clear up the debris. After all... all those cargo containers were clogging up the spacelane... ;)

- Neelix
When I come across a furball going on outside a station, I ignore the combat and cargo, and scoop all the escape capsules.  They're even more profitable than cargo, most of the time.  You'll need to have the Escape Pod Locator installed, though.

Yeah, I'd like it to be easier to just buy 10t of something, to leave a bit of cargo space for the inevitable cargo that ends up suspiciously floating around you during your travels.

Theres a brlliant pylon mounted addition that can be purchased froml level 6 planets called the Cargo Shepherd. This allows you to "shepherd" up all the cargo pods ejected from ships when youve ot got enough cargo room, and allows you to come back for it later, you then just scoop up the Shepherd oe you've done to reuse :)

I've been trying to do a write-up for Oolite on the Pandora for the last couple of weeks but unfotunately health issues have set me back, but i'm hopefully going to get it sorted soon. With a list of OXPs that run well on the Pandora etc, such as this one

Back