Release Oolite

Just given this new build a spin. Looks very pretty now! And it may be me, but the people I've been shooting down seem a bit more communicative now.

Only problem I've seen is the prices in the markets seem very low - likes sub 1cr low. And the percentages reported by the market observer OXP seem off too, reporting postive percentages for such low-priced stuff in places. I'll have to retry it later and see if I can reproduce it, and also try disabling the market observer oxp, but I'm a bit short of time today, so I thought I'd drop this here note on here and see if anyone else had seen the same. Nothing in my pndrun.log fwiw.

Just given this new build a spin. Looks very pretty now! And it may be me, but the people I've been shooting down seem a bit more communicative now.

Only problem I've seen is the prices in the markets seem very low - likes sub 1cr low. And the percentages reported by the market observer OXP seem off too, reporting postive percentages for such low-priced stuff in places. I'll have to retry it later and see if I can reproduce it, and also try disabling the market observer oxp, but I'm a bit short of time today, so I thought I'd drop this here note on here and see if anyone else had seen the same. Nothing in my pndrun.log fwiw.
And here was me being too busy looking at the new eye-candy, i didnt even look at this, i'll have a look aswell...

I was checking the manifest sales market screen after Levi mentioned wierd prices, and also found something wrong. Using exactly the same save-file and OXP's added (and all removed) brought out totally different values, as though the pandora PND code is a bit squew wifff, with the same save-file etc, this is the PC screen

And this is the Pandora screen with the same save-file etc

Also i don't know if this is relevant but the grahics have a few issues, such as witchjumping, its, not show in normal darkness but with the sun light it shows up lines across the screen such as this

this is most probably due to the new sun aura thing in 1.79, but i do't understand the differences in the prices on the market with exactly the same details used

Hum, market prices are stange yes. I'll recompile the version tonight, double-checking the optimization option to be sure they are not too-agressive.

For the graphics bug, yes, it's probably related to Sun Blind code.

Just for info of those that have downloaded the new PND, and have seen the "manage primable equipment" in the F4 screen, the keys are "0" for the defensive and "Tab" for the offensive keys, which is like a speed key for each one, rather than going through the shift+N options for your attached equipment. (only put it on as i had didint know the keys to press :) )

Yeah, I've switched my appointments and spent a bit more time testing this. Rerunning the PND gave me the same values, and knocking out half of my OXPs (including market observer and smiv's shipset), but I still get the same low market prices.

I also get a message about BGS logs when I look at the space station screens. I'll have to knock out that OXP and see what happens.

Out of interest, is the sun aura thing working right on Pandora versus PC? I no longer see any corona, just the screen goes white as I point towards it. Are we missing something shader-related here? No great loss, but I did quite like the old corona graphic ;)

Docking animations seem to have been replaced by a static gif too.

I'm loving the new AI stuff though. Ships definitely are more talkative, and I've come across stuff like an offender ship pretending to be a lone injured ship to attract bounty hunters before getting pounded on by all his mates when I attacked. And I've seen ships doing the fuel scoop run now, which I never saw before. It really helps to keep the universe fresh after bouncing about inside if for so long.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the Progress thread on the Oolite boards..

Some things that might be of relevance to problems mentioned above are in the list of fixes:

The final changes we made before the freeze - mostly bug fixes, and mostly mentioned briefly in other threads:
* considerably fewer assumptions made about the font texture - still a few left, but better than it was. Thanks to edgepixel for experimenting and finding these problems
* the font texture is now reloaded if strict mode is turned on or off
* a few more startup optimisations - you should get to the spinning cobra even faster now, especially with lots of OXPs
* cargo dumping default key changed from 'd' to 'shift-D'
* momentum from explosions only applied if there was an explosion (noticeable if you remove a large sub-entity)
* fixed some bugs with Managed AddOns folder creation and use
* some updates to the tutorial following testing with a new player
* sun_glare_filter / sunGlareFilter ship properties
* HUD legends can be right-aligned, and the default HUDs now use this. This makes it much easier to get your HUD OXP to cooperate with font OXPs.
* Containers in use for sub-tonne commodities now shown on the manifest screen, which might stop the occasional not-a-bug report.

...and one nasty bug discovered about two hours after the freeze started despite having been in the game for months
* stop strobe-light effect when approaching particular suns from particular distances.

Please keep testing the nightly builds (now is as safe a time as any to join in, if you haven't yet) and reporting bugs as you find them.

About the Price Market, One very strange thing is that the price are just the Decimal part, the interger part is forced to 0... End if look well, it looks like the real price is correctly taken into account, not the 0.xx price. Very strange.

I recompiled Oolite, but still the same.

I'll try to recompile the javascript engine now...

More about that tomorrow...

From the Progress thread on the Oolite boards..

Some things that might be of relevance to problems mentioned above are in the list of fixes:

The final changes we made before the freeze - mostly bug fixes, and mostly mentioned briefly in other threads:

* considerably fewer assumptions made about the font texture - still a few left, but better than it was. Thanks to edgepixel for experimenting and finding these problems

* the font texture is now reloaded if strict mode is turned on or off

* a few more startup optimisations - you should get to the spinning cobra even faster now, especially with lots of OXPs

* cargo dumping default key changed from 'd' to 'shift-D'

* momentum from explosions only applied if there was an explosion (noticeable if you remove a large sub-entity)

* fixed some bugs with Managed AddOns folder creation and use

* some updates to the tutorial following testing with a new player

* sun_glare_filter / sunGlareFilter ship properties

* HUD legends can be right-aligned, and the default HUDs now use this. This makes it much easier to get your HUD OXP to cooperate with font OXPs.

* Containers in use for sub-tonne commodities now shown on the manifest screen, which might stop the occasional not-a-bug report.

...and one nasty bug discovered about two hours after the freeze started despite having been in the game for months

* stop strobe-light effect when approaching particular suns from particular distances.

Please keep testing the nightly builds (now is as safe a time as any to join in, if you haven't yet) and reporting bugs as you find them.
Hmmm, I'll update my git clone then, and bump to v1.80 :) ...

I can confirm that if you buy any of the 0.0 listed goods you really do get them for free.

While I had the chance, I took a few snaps of the transparent triangles glitch.  On the left is the same Cobra Mk 3 with half of it's rear end and most of its front end missing, on the right it's intact.

Jswc2px.png

I could only take the snaps from the middle distance.  Getting too close meant the textures filled in, so I suspect it's a rounding error.

This glitch has been present since the first version, but now shipping with a more complex shipset as default means everyone will see this glitch quite regularly.  Doesn't really spoil the game, but it's pretty obvious.

Is the game rendering at the X server's standard 16bpp?   I found a reference on the Oolite boards that suggests that an issue with disappearing textures on linux based systems running at 16bpp goes away if the depth is increased to 24bpp.  Since you're forcing fullscreen anyway could you also force 24bpp rendering?

- Neelix

I can confirm that if you buy any of the 0.0 listed goods you really do get them for free.

While I had the chance, I took a few snaps of the transparent triangles glitch.  On the left is the same Cobra Mk 3 with half of it's rear end and most of its front end missing, on the right it's intact.

Jswc2px.png

I could only take the snaps from the middle distance.  Getting too close meant the textures filled in, so I suspect it's a rounding error.

This glitch has been present since the first version, but now shipping with a more complex shipset as default means everyone will see this glitch quite regularly.  Doesn't really spoil the game, but it's pretty obvious.
I still must have some well hidden bug in glshim somewhere :( , or it's a "fast-math" side effect maybe (because of the angle of the missing geometry).

Is the game rendering at the X server's standard 16bpp?   I found a reference on the Oolite boards that suggests that an issue with disappearing textures on linux based systems running at 16bpp goes away if the depth is increased to 24bpp.  Since you're forcing fullscreen anyway could you also force 24bpp rendering?

- Neelix
The rendering is done with 16bpp colors, 5/6/5, has it's the only rendering available on the Pandora without doing some hack on the X video driver. For the Depth, I haven't checked how many bpp the game wants and gets.

I have fixed the Market issue, updated to v1.80, and try some things for the OXZ Manager (but I don't know if they works as I have no issue on my side).

I tried to activated espeak, but still no luck. As soon as you activate it, all sounds stops :(

So, shall I publish the version asis, with espeak compiled in, with a warning, don't activate, or shall I try to dig more to see what's wrong (with no garanties I can make it works anyway), or recompile oolite without espeak?

So, shall I publish the version asis, with espeak compiled in, with a warning, don't activate, or shall I try to dig more to see what's wrong (with no garanties I can make it works anyway), or recompile oolite without espeak?
i'd say put it with the warning for now. And work on the espeak issue separately :)  

Here (well, not really here, on the repo) it is...

Build 08
----------

• Updated sources (now on v1.80)
  • Fixed Market prices issue
  • More try to fix OXZ Manager
  • espeak support compiled in, but not working (don't use, unless you like silence)

This update it really good :) The market prices works perfectly and theres a lot more effects visible - when i initially installed the update i managed to update the ozx manager straight away :) then for some reason, when i tried again it stalled (i waited about 5 minutes with no joy) - i deleted the cache but still unable to update the ozx manager list as yet.

Edit: I don't know why this should make a difference thn deleting the files within individually, but after an hour of trying to update the oxz list and stalling, i deleted the home/GNUstep folder (which holds the caches etc) and the oxz manager updated first time, and allowed me to update  :)

This update it really good :) The market prices works perfectly and theres a lot more effects visible - when i initially installed the update i managed to update the ozx manager straight away :) then for some reason, when i tried again it stalled (i waited about 5 minutes with no joy) - i deleted the cache but still unable to update the ozx manager list as yet.

Edit: I don't know why this should make a difference thn deleting the files within individually, but after an hour of trying to update the oxz list and stalling, i deleted the home/GNUstep folder (which holds the caches etc) and the oxz manager updated first time, and allowed me to update  :)
Glad it works !!! :)

About the random difficulties you are experiencing, maybe you are using the Internal Wifi, and the quality is not very good? I used a Wifi dongle for my test and had no issue.

Glad it works !!! :)

About the random difficulties you are experiencing, maybe you are using the Internal Wifi, and the quality is not very good? I used a Wifi dongle for my test and had no issue.
Yep! :) it was the wi-fi, my bad... working fine now :)

Looks to me like all the bugs introduced in this new version have been fixed now, good work! Market prices are indeed working again, even with the market observer OXP. I've not noticed any weird dark lines when torus jumping - just the standard dark and light lines that appear instead of space dust when you do that (you just don't normally see the dark ones unless you're pointing at something light). I nixed BGS too, which brought back the standard hyperspace and docking animations.

Back