One video per day - Discussions

Well, I plan doing them until delivery starts again (will be pretty busy then!)

5 videos per week = 4 weeks for 20 videos.

First 1000 boards should arrive early December at Craigs place when everything works as it should (hopefully!), so that's a bit more than 20 videos (as I get my units from Craig when he built them).

Are you going to go down and help build again? Otherwise, it'll take him a week or so to build them and start shipping to you, so that's at least another week of videos. Not to knock the amount of work you've been doing - but is the increase just from shipping out a bunch of Pandoras really so high that you can't do *any* more videos? Maybe I'm missing some step in the process?

I would like to see a video of DOSbox running Crime Fighter and Wasteland.

I realize that we have Descent running, but I would also like to see games with cutscenes and voice acting running in the Playstation emulator.

Another video that would be great, would be to see what office programs run like. Can you run Open Office on the Pandora? That is something that hasn't been mentioned as much.

How about other versions of Linux?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you going to go down and help build again? Otherwise, it'll take him a week or so to build them and start shipping to you, so that's at least another week of videos. Not to knock the amount of work you've been doing - but is the increase just from shipping out a bunch of Pandoras really so high that you can't do *any* more videos? Maybe I'm missing some step in the process?

You're probably missing that I have an 8 - 10 hours daytime job and do the Pandora / -etc. stuff besides that one ;)

Sure, there can be some more videos, that's why I said "more than 20" and not "less than 20" ;)

Hello,

EvilDragon... After watching your latest video it got me thinking of how the system auto-recognizes games/emulators and categorizes them within the desktop menu system.

I feel that a short video on how to set up your SD card ( and a few emulators ) would be very helpful to newcomers. I know it is written up somewhere in boards.. or wiki ??

but some people learn better visually and to see a SD set up correctly would be helpful to get playing faster.

Cheers,

Pinballwzd

Hello,

EvilDragon... After watching your latest video it got me thinking of how the system auto-recognizes games/emulators and categorizes them within the desktop menu system.

I feel that a short video on how to set up your SD card ( and a few emulators ) would be very helpful to newcomers. I know it is written up somewhere in boards.. or wiki ??

but some people learn better visually and to see a SD set up correctly would be helpful to get playing faster.

Yep, that's what I was also planning for a future video :)

But it would probably need some time, so I didn't want to include it here :)

Thanks for the videos Ed, great idea: not so sure it makes the waiting any easier (for me at least) anyway i digress, any chance we can have a video showing various emulators running with any scale & filters (& N64 Texture Packs) they currently support, it would be interesting to see the performance here.

"Now you’re thinking with portals"

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, that's what I was also planning for a future video :)

But it would probably need some time, so I didn't want to include it here :)

Cool!.. Nice to see it coming together.

Thanks for everything you do !

Well, I plan doing them until delivery starts again (will be pretty busy then!)

5 videos per week = 4 weeks for 20 videos.

First 1000 boards should arrive early December at Craigs place when everything works as it should (hopefully!), so that's a bit more than 20 videos (as I get my units from Craig when he built them).

It's really amazing how things have been stagnant for so long, then have them suddenly rocket forward like this. Hopefully everything goes smoothly and people are able to get their devices soon.

It's really nice of you to post these videos too. I get super excited seeing something new that the Pandora can do. It makes time go by a little quicker too. I hope to see a tutorial or two among these next twenty videos! :)

You're probably missing that I have an 8 - 10 hours daytime job and do the Pandora / -etc. stuff besides that one ;)

Sure, there can be some more videos, that's why I said "more than 20" and not "less than 20" ;)

Oh, I do realize that. I see what kinds of odd hours you're posting, and how little sleep you get. I'm amazed, as is. But if your gp2x.de store is the one selling the Pandoras, doesn't the packing shipping count as part of that work? Plus, you're doing the 8-10 hours of work right now, anyway, on top of making these videos. I just didn't see how an extra 250 Pandoras to pack/ship prevented you from making more of them. A slower rate would make sense.

Oh, I do realize that. I see what kinds of odd hours you're posting, and how little sleep you get. I'm amazed, as is. But if your gp2x.de store is the one selling the Pandoras, doesn't the packing shipping count as part of that work? Plus, you're doing the 8-10 hours of work right now, anyway, on top of making these videos. I just didn't see how an extra 250 Pandoras to pack/ship prevented you from making more of them. A slower rate would make sense.
I could go without a video the day ED gets 250 Pandoras to Pack/Ship. Give the ED a break.Think he has a bit more of a 9-5 job than most of us. The Gp2X/Pandora shop aren't his main gig. Thanks for the vids ED!

If possible I would like to see any version of Crusader: No Remorse / No Regret on either DOS or PSX running. Also UFO: Enemy Unknown (AKA X-COM: UFO Defense), Master of Orion, and Quarantine would be great.

And for another video maybe some C64 games? I would name some but as I was a bit young back when I played them I sadly have no idea what most of the great ones I remember are called *sigh*...

I'd like to see more videos of Craigix and funny hats.

I got a chance to watch the videos last night. They got me excited about the Pandora all over again.

I've never played Descent, but it looks good from what I saw. Maybe I'll have to pick it up when my unit gets here. I liked watching the SNES emulation, but the scrolling on some of the games didn't look right (maybe because I'm used to seeing them on CRT?). I think the startup video is really good for people who are worried about Linux.

And the Gentoo video was amazing (except for it stuttering on my computer, but oh well). I imagine that setup has minimal overhead while still looking pretty. How's the portage tree looking, anyway?

Yeah its called Youtube and if they had headquarters....

I would like to see a video of DOSbox running Crime Fighter and Wasteland.

I realize that we have Descent running, but I would also like to see games with cutscenes and voice acting running in the Playstation emulator.

Another video that would be great, would be to see what office programs run like. Can you run Open Office on the Pandora? That is something that hasn't been mentioned as much.

How about other versions of Linux?

See below video for PSX cutscenes etc. Various Linux videos are around such as the excellent Gentoo video released the other day.

on the first day of panda-mas santa dragon gave to me, yet another video :D

Quality! :lol:

Well it is the season or thereabouts, as we've just burnt a traitor who never was and celebrated burning spinsters with land the church wanted to inherit (both involving more torture than a burning Bush could handle) so without further ado...

Except Youtube is proving a real PITA on the video front, causing huge delay in uploading alot of videos. Hats off to ED for his videos and on getting youtube staff off to work.

I've opted to jump ship for now and cant seem to embed the films, so you'll have to check the link instead.

Here's Exhumed on PSX for MrSeguin & Silent Bomber on Psx4Pandora for the hell of it, which does showcase some cutscenes and voice stuff and some shocking self immolation!

http://www.typenot.com/ZQR35NTU5O6S8IP4IJTMC.aspx

<a href="http://www.typenot.com/ZQR35NTU5O6S8IP4IJTMC.aspx">http://www.typenot.com/ZQR35NTU5O6S8IP4IJTMC.aspx</a>

What other embedable video sites are there?

Oh and don't forget this guys channel for homebrew and more Descent action http://www.youtube.com/user/theREALshoesy who I haven't seen mention of his videos here so far...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZTs0qpuRPIY?feature=oembed

I asked ED about blur, and there was some deal with emu running at 60fps but .de equipment or his camera being 50fps (PAL?), and that sort of thing. (ie: He could run the emu at 50fps so it sync properly, but then some games which were quick PAL ports would run 'slow' (less frames going on), so peoplke might thing they were slow.) (In actuality, many games were 'harder' on 60fps hardware than 50fps, since they synced activity to framecount!)

Crazy stuff :)

jeff

Thanks for the starfox Vid ED :) looks good but can you confirm all levels are playable esp. asteroid belt. If so I might have to re-order once production steps up a gear again maybe once 2500 units are in cust hands ;)

I asked ED about blur, and there was some deal with emu running at 60fps but .de equipment or his camera being 50fps (PAL?), and that sort of thing. (ie: He could run the emu at 50fps so it sync properly, but then some games which were quick PAL ports would run 'slow' (less frames going on), so peoplke might thing they were slow.) (In actuality, many games were 'harder' on 60fps hardware than 50fps, since they synced activity to framecount!)

Crazy stuff :)

jeff

Ok, that's good. Actually, I watched the video again to see if it really bothered me. Anyway, I noticed that watching the video on full-screen seemed to exacerbate the problem. The blur was tolerable at the standard size, so the worst case shouldn't bother me too much.

Back