How is pc gaming through remote admin on pandora?

Solstar

Just watched the "one video per day" youtube's video about remote administration and i was wondering how good is (if any)gaming from the pandora....i have windows 7 and there are a couple of games that i would like to play on the go with the pandora...nothing too complicated of course...if any,they are quite old games (1998-ish)

Unless they are turnbased, I probably wouldn't bother. I've yet to see any remote desktop software that has sufficient streaming capability to play games - even on desktops (you can obviously argue OnLive, but that's a different story)

VNC just isn't up to snuff, and even if it were you would be very hard pushed getting enough throughput from the Pandora's patchy WiFi to make anything playable.

OnLive isn't up to snuff, either. It's not bad for spectating games-in-progress to get an idea of how they play, but it's fairly awful to use otherwise.

a little off topic but...is it possible to use Wine and emulate win 95\98?

a little off topic but...is it possible to use Wine and emulate win 95\98?

Wine currently requires x86 based hardware to work properly, there was talk of it using a Qemu layer to make it work on ARM hardware which the Pandora has.. However that said, we can just use Qemu which can emulate a x86 hardware, However it requires actually installing a version of DOS and/or windows 95 or 98..

Last edited by a moderator:
Short story, Wine can't help Pandora to run PC software... but that's not quite true.

There is Wine for ARM, it's only good for ARM windows apps, not x86 PC windows apps. A developer could recompile their windows apps for ARM windows. Many programs would need a major porting effort, for example I highly doubt ARM Wine provides a Direct X API for GLES hardware.

We could try to port some simpler windows games, Knytt Stories is a good one. That does run on PC Linux with Wine, it doesn't use Direct X or other fancy stuff as far as I know. It should be relatively easy to port it to Pandora with ARM Wine. I'll contact the author and ask if he would allow that.

So yeah, for some open-source windows games, or if the authors cooperate, it might be possible to recompile and run them under Wine on Pandora.

The Knytt Stories engine was ported to the Nintendo DS, and C source is available. A port would be quite a bit of work, but would be very do-able.

D.

What I would really like to do is get a closed source Linux X86 game to run on my Linux ARM Pandora. (Neverwinter Nights)

There was some motion for being able to do this with QEMU, but it seems to have been abandoned since -most- X86 Linux software is open source.

To the OP's question: Reminna and other remote desktop systems are good for administration, but not so much for application use. Even something as simple as surfing the web on the remote computer can be painful. Anything that requires animation is straight out - even with a local 802.11 or wired LAN connection. Turn based tile games with animations turned off - that could work.

Short story, Wine can't help Pandora to run PC software... but that's not quite true.

There is Wine for ARM, it's only good for ARM windows apps, not x86 PC windows apps. A developer could recompile their windows apps for ARM windows. Many programs would need a major porting effort, for example I highly doubt ARM Wine provides a Direct X API for GLES hardware.

We could try to port some simpler windows games, Knytt Stories is a good one. That does run on PC Linux with Wine, it doesn't use Direct X or other fancy stuff as far as I know. It should be relatively easy to port it to Pandora with ARM Wine. I'll contact the author and ask if he would allow that.

So yeah, for some open-source windows games, or if the authors cooperate, it might be possible to recompile and run them under Wine on Pandora.

You wouldn't recompile targeting ARM Windows (does such a thing even exist right now?), you'd recompile the Windows program linked against winelib, making a native ARM Linux binary. And if it worked well you'd probably prefer to gradually port it to pure native APIs.

Back