Of cases and batteries

Thank you for the answer.

I guess we knooow the scooore (Queen) the only practical issue would be durability.

Do we have any idea of the future price of spares ? That would help me a lot to decide.

No, the main reason is the one below.
If its no real reason, why mention it ?
It would be quite a bit, because the lid need to be opened and closed.

If the lid was fixed, it would just be a tiny bit - but in order to be able to open and close it, you need the full 180° range open, so that's quite a hole there.
I have no problem opening and closing the Lid on my Lenovo x201s (including the full range). I took also a closer look on the whole mechanism, and surprisingly the whole hinge construct is about 3-4mm bigger in diameter than the Pandoras. This does not mean, that the principle is 100% appliable, but at least it is not out of the question from my point of view.
Additionally, do you really think people would be more happy with a device that can break when they carry it around in their pocket than with a device that COULD potentially break after a few years of usage?
Wether it "could potentially" break is still up to discussion, the RMA request regarding a LCD-cable fault that pop every once in a while (and not only for old cc Models), aren't very comforting in that regard.

And you are still laking reasons why this solution would be more error-prone as the current one. Your first fear is only of theoretical value, as its a lot more likely there is other damage to the whole system caused by a small "free fall test" than the scenario you came up with. Second scenario isn't also very likely - at least it occurs to me that the Pyra will have a similiar "locking" mechanism for the closed state of the lid, which means, there will be a gap on the front between lid and case. Seems much more likely that keys (or other hard and small/thin objects) cause havok slipping in there than getting into that rather small gap between the hinge part of the lid and the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you can provide me a working solution for an LCD Cable alternative, there's no need to discuss this. I provided the best I can do, if you think it should be better, feel free to provide that to me.

3-4mm bigger is HUGE - that's twice as big, that's more than enough space to fit all traces as single copper wires through.

I'd expect the 3d printed cases to be weaker.
3D printed parts are at best as strong as injection moulded, and tend to be weaker. Whether that weakness is enough to make a difference can't be said until it's finished.It also depends a lot on what it's printed in, each plastic has pros and cons: ABS is fairly soft and likely to twist and warp; PLA is quite strong and would probably take a lot of damage; Nylon and T-Glase are basically indestructible, I made a zipper out of T-Glase and as a test I hit it with a hammer, and then hit it some more before actually using it.

FWIW, it may be worth considering both the elasticity and the brittleness of competing materials when comparing them. IME the Pandora's plastic was not too brittle, except where it was too thin (although others have reported fractures in places I've not observed), but it was too elastic, at least to stop the shoulders from running inside the case and damaging the PCB. Perhaps the Pyra plastic can be as elastic as the Pandora's without trouble, thanks to the stops built in to the shoulder button axis (although then the elasticity of the length button itself then comes into question), but ought to be less brittle if possible.

I provided the best I can do
never doubted that
3-4mm bigger is HUGE - that's twice as big, that's more than enough space to fit all traces as single copper wires through.
I was rather conservative with the diameter estimation, as I did not had any tool to measure it - I really estimated it about 1-2 mm difference. BUT its totally understandable that you are not inclined to undertake such an endeavor, just because an armchair designer on an internet board says so.

Well, here's something for the statistics:

I repaired two broken LCD cables yesterday with PTOD.

Both had a small tear at one of the sharp edges.

No material weakness.

I really like your train of thought. One worry though: If you use GPIO's to monitor the health of the monitor cable, that would be subtracted from the number of freely usable GPIO's. How many will the Pyra expose to the exterior to be programmed freely for IO purposes? Prefererrably not by using such an alien EXT connector as is used by the Pandora right now ;-) Unless of course you would be selling breakout cables, comparable to the RaspPI/ Arduino and their variants, just like you sell your AV-out cable right now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back