Of cases and batteries

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Well, you learned about the PCBs and displays in the last post, time to update you on the rest.

Let's start with...

The case

I received an update a while ago which has been adapted to the display and all our other components (PCB, the battery, etc.)

It's nigh finished and the shoulder buttons received a new design as well (yep - they do look familiar. The idea for those came from the community - thanks for that!)

ShoulderInside.jpgShoulderOutside1.jpgShoulderOutside2.jpg

However, to fit the display, they increased the width of the device by 1,4cm... something we don't want (right? :) )

They tried to keep the screws in the lid, but I rather want them removed and have some other way to fix the lid (i.e. with clips - but better ones we had on the Pandora) and keep one screw in the middle area.

This is now being worked on. It will change the shoulder buttons a bit as well, but hopefully, not too much.

I'll update you once I got the next design - which will then also be printed for a test with the prototype PCBs.

Nothing moved ahead with the keymat, as they need the final case design first.

However, the keymat is simple, and the first sample (with correctly sized keys) took two weeks, so I guess once they get the final design, it'll take about the same time.

The battery

As you might remember, the 6000mAh battery is a bit wider than Pandoras battery, so the battery compartment had to be changed to fit that.

This change has now been added to the case, so we knew exactly where to place the contacts of the battery.

And because of that, we could now order the battery. We will receive 20 samples about end of February (hopefully ;) ) and when we confirm them to be working fine and fitting well, 3000 batteries will be produced and shipped about end of April (so we'll get them in June / July).

The LCD Cable

The last missing component is the LCD cable - and prototypes are being produced now as well.

I don't know yet when we'll receive them, but hopefully it'll be end of February as well.

They're a lot more simple as the Pandora cables, as they have less traces, only use one side (not two), have less edges (and all of them are rounded) and no electrical components on them.

All traces are redundant as well, so if one trace breaks, the cable still works fine. Two traces of the same signal would have to break to make the cable go bad - and that should not be that likely.

So... did I miss something?

I don't think so, but if you think I did, let me know and I'll reply to you :)

We should now also start to think about the packaging (what items we'll include, what package design we'll choose), etc.

I'll probably start a poll about the items as well.

Follow me on twitter for short news inbetween:

https://twitter.com/EvilDragon1717

Last edited by a moderator:
Prototyping of the case seems to go a lot more smooth than with the pandora, hopefully the move from printed model to mold based case will also go smoother than in the pandora days of lost translation and chinese new years.

1,4 cm more widht..

What is widht??? Vertical or Horizontal??

6000 mah sounds great, thats a lot time left to play tetris.

Looking forward for the new printed Case..

But whit batterys End of April , seems like there is now Pyra under the Easter Tree..

Mybe there will be a spezial offer for a Batterie Less Pyra whit the Pandora Batterie Adapter for those who allready have a Pandora, and then they can order the real Pyra Batterie in April..

1,4 cm more widht..

6000 mah sounds great, thats a lot time left to play tetris.

Looking forward for the new printed Case..

But whit batterys End of April , seems like there is now Pyra under the Easter Tree..

Mybe there will be a spezial offer for a Batterie Less Pyra whit the Pandora Batterie Adapter for those who allready have a Pandora, and then they can order the real Pyra Batterie in April..
I wont count on a pyra in april there's still a lot that has to be done.

I received an update a while ago which has been adapted to the display and all our other components (PCB, the battery, etc.)

It's nigh finished and the shoulder buttons received a new design as well (yep - they do look familiar. The idea for those came from the community - thanks for that!)
Heyyy, looks indeed very familiar. :D  However, the case design company should improve it more I guess and make it really fit into the final case. I once made the 3D sketch but it was never good enough to be called "final".  :ph34r:   Not to get it wrong, I'm pretty sure this design will work, top trigger shorter (harder to press) and stand out, lower (main) button made like the Pandora one and is closer in the case plus easier to press (because it's longer, lever forces 'n stuff).

I also suggest to fix the trigger holding pin not only at the bottom, but also on top in an notch or so, the pin has to hold 2 triggers each and is much longer than the one in the Pandora, just to make sure nothing can break. Metal pin still ftw. 

However, to fit the display, they increased the width of the device by 1,4cm... something we don't want (right? :) )

They tried to keep the screws in the lid, but I rather want them removed and have some other way to fix the lid (i.e. with clips - but better ones we had on the Pandora) and keep one screw in the middle area.
Means "wider": longer at the long side or longer at the short side? Longer at the short side would be indeed very bad but longer at the long side may be not that bad, it still would fit in pockets that the Pandora fit in, it just would look out a little bit more.

As you might remember, the 6000mAh battery is a bit wider than Pandoras battery, so the battery compartment had to be changed to fit that.

This change has now been added to the case, so we knew exactly where to place the contacts of the battery.

And because of that, we could now order the battery. We will receive 20 samples about end of February (hopefully ;) ) and when we confirm them to be working fine and fitting well, 3000 batteries will be produced and shipped about end of April (so we'll get them in June / July).
Would it be that bad if the battery had maybe "just" 5500mAh but would then have the exact measurements of the Pandora one? The advantage of a 100/ compatible Battery should actualy outweight the disadvantage of some minutes less battery time, because we could fit the Pandora battery in without any trouble.

And smaller battery maybe also means more rounded and streamlined case, who knows? ^^"

seems like selling a small accessory to the pyra that would make the pandora battery fit would sell quite well, and be real easy to design and produce  

Wouldnd have much Problems whit a a bit "Breiter" Pyra,

Thanks for the Answer ziz

I learned to deal whit a Galaxy Note 2 and a realy big Swiss Army Knife (Swisschamp XLT)..

Wouldnd have much Problems whit a a bit "Breiter" Pyra,

Thanks for the Answer ziz

I learned to deal whit a Galaxy Note 2 and a realy big Swiss Army Knife (Swisschamp XLT)..
German version of the post is available now. (Deutsche Version ist jetzt da)

width is "Breite", so vertically
Hmm, really? As I read it, I imagined "width" being measured from the left to the right side of the pyra. Consider which way a screen gets wider when it becomes widescreen ;)

Good news, thanks for the updates ED.
Will the Pyra battery still be able to be put into the pandora? (I think this was mentioned before it might be an option)

These redundant traces that are on the LCD cable - they wouldn't be next to each other would they? Because cracks tend to propagate, and scuff damage widens over time. If they are interleaved some other way the cable will be able to withstand a lot more damage before stopping working.

I don't know why you'd want the lid screws replaced with clips, I think the screws in the Pandora's lid look great.  Screws are going to be necessary in a later aluminum version anyways aren't they?

1.4cm wider or taller wouldn't matter to me, as little as my feelings count.

The shoulder buttons still look excellent, I'm glad you've/they've stuck with the single bar through both buttons.

The idea for those came from the community - thanks for that!)
They do look good.  It seemed like a good direction to go with the buttons to me.  Have you had a chance to test how they feel and function?

ShoulderInside.jpg ShoulderOutside1.jpg ShoulderOutside2.jpg
Officially confirmed now that the cases will be green and copper. :p

We should now also start to think about the packaging (what items we'll include, what package design we'll choose), etc.
I will keep this short, and post my opinions in more detail the appropriate place.  I think simple boxes for minimal waste and as little extras as possible (which might save a bit on getting them made).  Maybe plain cardboard with the logo on top, a blurb about it on one side, and the model info on another.

FWIW, screws in the lid wouldn't bother me at all, and I think I might prefer them.  As long as it is easy to get into should the need arise I am fine with whatever method is used.

Back