Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

I got the cable to work with my netbook, but the pc would never recognize the shield. Guess it is time to upgrade the pc. Got 10 years out of this one. Where is the best place to buy a shield streaming compatible pc? I usually buy from Dell, but want to make sure i have the best streaming pc possible for around $500-700.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the cable to work with my netbook, but the pc would never recognize the shield. Guess it is time to upgrade the pc. Got 10 years out of this one. Where is the best place to buy a shield streaming compatible pc? I usually buy from Dell, but want to make sure i have the best streaming pc possible for around CHF461.73 ($500)-700.
Build it yourself. That's the single best option if you want to have it cheap. And it's not really complicated, just Lego for grown ups. Sometimes you might need to use Wikipedia for finding out what is compatible with what, but mostly it's pretty self-explanatory.

I got the cable to work with my netbook, but the pc would never recognize the shield. Guess it is time to upgrade the pc. Got 10 years out of this one. Where is the best place to buy a shield streaming compatible pc? I usually buy from Dell, but want to make sure i have the best streaming pc possible for around $500-700.
Mine works with laptop as well, but not my main PC. It's a real pain in the ass, but I'm gonna set up a wireless transfer, and see how that goes. It may be the answer to my prayers I was looking for(fingers crossed).

I got the cable to work with my netbook, but the pc would never recognize the shield. Guess it is time to upgrade the pc. Got 10 years out of this one. Where is the best place to buy a shield streaming compatible pc? I usually buy from Dell, but want to make sure i have the best streaming pc possible for around CHF461.73 ($500)-700.
Build it yourself. That's the single best option if you want to have it cheap. And it's not really complicated, just Lego for grown ups. Sometimes you might need to use Wikipedia for finding out what is compatible with what, but mostly it's pretty self-explanatory.
I have to agree that building yourself is the way to go, as you get more bang for your buck. I can also see why going with a "Dell" might appeal as well. When you have issues like the current Shield USB problem, they are more likely to be able to fix it.

I'm in no way computer savvy, but I've built my last 2 with great success, and got killer machines for the price.

Chris

OMG, I can't believe I spent the last 2-3 days trying to sort out my USB cable transfer issues, when the fix to all my problems was a quick play store press away :lol:  

I just bought WiFi File Transfer Pro for $1.40 and this app works like a dream. Now I want something like this for every one of my handheld devices, so I never have to remove an SD card or deal with a USB cable again(well outside of charging anyways). There where several other well reviewed and free apps for file transferring over WiFi, but this seemed to be the best working and the most straight to the point app availible.

Chris 

OMG, I can't believe I spent the last 2-3 days trying to sort out my USB cable transfer issues, when the fix to all my problems was a quick play store press away :lol:

I just bought WiFi File Transfer Pro for $1.40 and this app works like a dream. Now I want something like this for every one of my handheld devices, so I never have to remove an SD card or deal with a USB cable again(well outside of charging anyways). There where several other well reviewed and free apps for file transferring over WiFi, but this seemed to be the best working and the most straight to the point app availible.

Chris 
Does it see both sd1 and sd0?  The free one I downloaded only sees the sd0 (internal storage).

Chris 
Does it see both sd1 and sd0?  The free one I downloaded only sees the sd0 (internal storage).
No, not that I can tell. This is the only complaint I have currently. I looked around to see if there was a way for the program to see or noticed the micro sd memory, but I couldn't find anything. Technically, I can see that remaining space on the device itself, so it's not a HUGE deal, but it really should show it through the app as well.

I'm gonna contact the developer and ask about it, and see what they say. Maybe they can add it, or explain why it's not showing up. Great app otherwise, but I did notice this issue right away.

Chris

ES File Explorer on the play store is free, can see both sd1 and sd0 and can transfer wirelessly to any pc on the network.

ES File Explorer on the play store is free, can see both sd1 and sd0 and can transfer wirelessly to any pc on the network.
I can recommend it too, altough some rights the applications demands look dubious to me.

And for the sake of trolling: Another "Go go gadgeto Pandora !", no crappy MTP, just plain old USB Mass storage implementation, works almost everywhere :)

Chris 
Well, technically, it can see both, as I can transfer and move files between sd0 and sd1, no issues, it just doesn't see and post the remaining space left in sd1.

I actually heard back from one of the developers this morning, and he said every Android device is different and it should see and list the remaining space for sd1, but it may not due to how Nvidia has designed their mounting routines. 

If anyone here has a rooted Shield, can you access the "vold.fstab" fileIf so, can you send me a copy of the file, as the developer says with this, he may be able to fix this app so it can actually monitor the sd1 remaining space as well.

Chris

Yes, but the PC/Pandora cannot see both cards through Filezilla, it still only sees the internal storage and therefore I still cannot transfer stuff on my PC directly to sd1.

Yes, but the PC/Pandora cannot see both cards through Filezilla, it still only sees the internal storage and therefore I still cannot transfer stuff on my PC directly to sd1.
You know, you can use ES File Explorer as an smb browser ? Just setup a smb shared directory either on your PC or your Pandora and you can put files there / get files from there via your shield

^ But my / is full.  Why doesn't Nvidia make this seemless for Linux users? :(
Sorry, don't get were your exact problem lies. Is your internal storage on the shield full, or what does "But my / is full" mean ? If so, is everything cached on your internal memory and gets copied to the sd card after the transfer is complete ?

order and chaos has been updated and now works with shield controls.

The best MMORPG on android IMO. Not quite as good as say WoW or whatever, but decent for a mobile device

Some apps allow for install to SD card, it just depends on if the app developer supports it or not. I haven't tried, but Gameloft games are bad about not liking it. There is some advanced modifications you can do that extends the internal to the sdcard formatted in ext2, but I don't know if anyone has done it on shield but I've done it before on a device with 512mb of internal.

You're saying done games won't move to SD. That's odd I don't think I've come across one that wouldn't.

I'll try rechecking, but the companion data that comes with some of those games doesn't like being moved

I think I had a problem with GTA:SA so I moved it back and it worked fine

Back