Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

That makes sense. I agree with SeeThruHead that this grid gaming is the next big thing for NVidia and its Shield as Android games are plain suck ass. I use my Shield more now with this grid gaming thing as these are real full PC games and they look beautiful on the Shield. +1 for NVidia. They seem to be on the right track here :)

n64oid can be found from slideme. Also, game streaming + console mode. You pay a monthly fee and have access to pc quality games on a handheld that doubles as a console. Then hook it up to your LTE enabled phone and continue playing games that you could never before play on a handheld, on a handheld. It's really exciting what they could do with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone outside of the US is interested in getting the shield at it's current holiday pricing of 250, now is your chance. Thinkgeek is offering free international express shipping for orders of 150 or more. http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/17d6/?srp=1

Use code: GEMAXIO at checkout and select DHL or UPS express shipping option during checkout. This code is only good until midnight pacific time tonight, that is about 17 hours from the time of this post. They also offer Shield accessories as well, so this could be as good as you'll get until this device is officially released outside the US/Canada.

They are also offering free economy US shipping with code:GEMINIO, for anyone who is interested.

EDIT: Even though ThinkGeek ships internationally, this item is restricted to US and Canada customers only. Sorry about that.

Chris 

If anyone outside of the US is interested in getting the shield at it's current holiday pricing of 250, now is your chance. Thinkgeek is offering free international express shipping for orders of 150 or more. http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/17d6/?srp=1

Use code: GEMAXIO at checkout and select DHL or UPS express shipping option during checkout. This code is only good until midnight pacific time tonight, that is about 17 hours from the time of this post. They also offer Shield accessories as well, so this could be as good as you'll get until this device is officially released outside the US/Canada.

They are also offering free economy US shipping with code:GEMINIO, for anyone who is interested.

Chris 
Opening your link I get

Shipping restrictions: We cannot ship this item outside of the U.S. and Canada

as info.

Too bad, for this price I almost considered getting a second shield

Chris 
Opening your link I get

as info.

Sorry about that, I just realized that it is limited to US and Canada. So even though Thinkgeek normally mails out of the US, this item has restrictions. Well that sucks, sorry to get hopes up. 

I'm sure this has to do with Nvidia and their CS and warranty for this item, as it is officially only sold in those 2 regions. US Amazon currently sells them for 250 as well, but the shipping restrictions might apply there as well, but it's worth a shot to try and get in on the 250 deal currently running.

Chris

Does anyone know how to make Linux Mint recognize the Shield's storage like when it is connected to windows?  I plugged it in but Linux Mint can't see anything....

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Shenmue

Ok thanks.  I used windows to transfer stuff then.

First game tested:  Soul Calibur.  Speedwise-->perfect! :)   Pretty graphics!  Better than VGA :)   Just very minor background flickering.  I'm really excited with this emulator!

Edit:  Oh! I'm to excited that I didn't mention the emulator.  It's Reicast, a Dreamcast emulator :)

Here's the video (uploading):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg6nCSmtXP8

Shenmue runs full speed but graphics are all messed up.  They look like that character on the new PS4 game, Knack.  Everything is see-through :)   But it's alpha so....

Just heard about Project Shield:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/7/3845330/nvidia-unveils-project-shield-an-android-based-gaming-system-capable

Tegra4 processors, 5" retina display... sounds incredibly powerful, and could eat into the Pandora market.  Any thoughts?
does it have a keyboard ? Nope 

Is it going to be open hardware ? Nope.

Did you want to be a troll ? Yes.
(responding to old post.)

Did i want to reply? Yes.

Do i wish i had this? Yes.

Do i have a PC capable of streaming games to it? No.

Will i ever? Nope.

Will i build one? Nope.

Will i force it to? Yes.

Is there going to be any more comments? Yes.

Does it work with magic? No. But it fucking looks like magic

Chris 
Opening your link I get

as info.

you know. there are 3rd party resale websites. or i could gift you one :3

EDIT: Even though ThinkGeek ships internationally, this item is restricted to US and Canada customers only. Sorry about that.

Chris 
ah. ThinkGeek. man i miss that catalogue.

How do I access the Shield's internal storage?  My computer says it can not install any hardware when I plug in the usb cable...

How do I access the Shield's internal storage?  My computer says it can not install any hardware when I plug in the usb cable...
OMG, I'm having similar issues. If you go to settings, and go to the "developers option", and then select USB debugging, then plug it in, it may fix your problem. Once I select USB debugging, my PC will at least see the shield as an android device, but it won't let me access any of it's memory. I can however get my windows Vista laptop to recognize my shield, and I access the internal shield memory as well as the micro sd card. 

Sadly, on my windows 7 PC, I can't get it to work. I've been trying different things for the last few days, with no success. My sons Nabi 2 tablet gives me the same problems. I can't figure it out, but I haven't  given up yet.

Chris

OMG, I'm having similar issues. If you go to settings, and go to the "developers option", and then select USB debugging, then plug it in, it may fix your problem. Once I select USB debugging, my PC will at least see the shield as an android device, but it won't let me access any of it's memory. I can however get my windows Vista laptop to recognize my shield, and I access the internal shield memory as well as the micro sd card. 

Sadly, on my windows 7 PC, I can't get it to work. I've been trying different things for the last few days, with no success. My sons Nabi 2 tablet gives me the same problems. I can't figure it out, but I haven't  given up yet.

Chris
Tried changing the USB cable? I would also check to see if you're using a USB 3 port. I've noticed some USB 2 devices don't work as advertised in PCs with USB 3 ports.

Chris
Tried changing the USB cable? I would also check to see if you're using a USB 3 port. I've noticed some USB 2 devices don't work as advertised in PCs with USB 3 ports.
One of the first things I tried was switching cables, but that didn't work and the cable I'm currently using works with the device on my laptop, so I know it's good. Thanks for the USB 2 advice, as I hadn't thought of that. My USB inputs on the front of my PC are USB 3, so I tried the USB 2 on the back, but "no sale".

I've actually had a similar problem with my PS Vita, and it's memory manager software on this PC. It won't recognize the Vita either and allow files to be transferred. It works just fine on my laptop and plugged in to my PS3, but on my main PC, it's an issue. I gave up trying to fix that issue, as transferring files with the Vita wasn't something I needed to do often, and syncing it with the PS3 just seemed the right way to go.

I've just repaired my PC's USB drivers, and I'm going to reset it see if that helps. With the Shield in Debug USB mode, my PC recognizes it as an android device, it just won't allow a dialog box to open the device for file transfers. If I plug it in normally, it just gives a double beep noise(like it doesn't belong), and in the device manager, it says the proper drivers aren't available. This really has me stumped. 

Chris

EDIT: BTW, in my travels trying to fix this issue, I see there are wi-fi file programs for android which removes the whole USB cable from the equation. Since my computer wont play friendly with my Shield through USB, could this solve my problems?

I mainly only need to hook my Shield up to my PC to transfer files for emulators. Even though I can't use Shield for PC streaming, it is supper fast using the GRID app and my 5GHz dual band router, so I can imagine transferring files over my wireless network might be the way to go right?

@ Jumpman, have you used USBDeview to see what USB drivers you currently have installed? It helped me sort out a similar sounding USB connection problem with my Nexus 7.

What happens when you connect your Shield to your Pandora? If the Pandora sees it as a mass storage device you could use that to transfer files ;)

@ Jumpman, have you used USBDeview to see what USB drivers you currently have installed? It helped me sort out a similar sounding USB connection problem with my Nexus 7.

What happens when you connect your Shield to your Pandora? If the Pandora sees it as a mass storage device you could use that to transfer files ;)
No I haven't tried USBDeview yet, as I wasn't aware of it. I'll give it a go and see what I can find. My Pandora is actually on it's way to Germany right now, for an upgrade(finally getting a 1GHz unit), but I'll give that a go when it comes back. That would be cool, as most of the files I need to put on my Shield, are on my Pandora :p

I'm actually looking more into the Wi-Fi transfer tools, as this seems like a better way to go. Plugging a cable in to a device, seems medieval at this point, when I can just open an app and have at it. My sons Nabi 2 has the same issues on my PC, so a transfer app seems like an easier alternative to the headaches I've endured over the last few days. It never crossed my mind to just transfer files wirelesly, but now I can't believe I didn't try this out sooner.

Chris

Back