Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

349 or something like that. Came out to 550 before tax for both 770 and shield, including the 3 game bundle.

On the shield front I'm having a blast setting things up.

Screenshot_2013-11-27-11-41-32%20%28Medium%29%20%28Custom%29.png

Screenshot_2013-11-27-11-41-49%20%28Medium%29%20%28Custom%29.png

Screenshot_2013-11-27-11-41-53%20%28Medium%29%20%28Custom%29.png

Screenshot_2013-11-27-11-42-05%20%28Medium%29%20%28Custom%29.png

All on one screen inside folders with custom icons.

Find myself using Retroarch a lot as it's the best performing for most systems and its convenient to use the same settings for everything. 

Tried XBMC and I was getting some tiny stuttering so I installed Plex and that streams movies and shows from the local network flawlessly. Probably going to buy my mother a tegra note and miracast receiver to replace her boxeebox.

Tried game streaming from my HTPC (650ti at the moment) works really well if you're at the computer to make sure the game initializes properly. Tried AC3 and FEZ so far.

Also downloaded the humble bundle app as I've got maybe 20 android games from there, haven't installed them yet but it's a pretty awesome app for keeping track and installing your games. I have previously just been keeping them in a dropbox folder.

Going to order a push2tv and see how well the miracast works on this thing.

Quick question, what kind of shaders do you guys recommend for retroarch?

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, It seems like the black Friday deal will be 250 for the unit, and a free carry case(40 dollar value). I saw a Frys ad, and I read over on Nvidia's forums that participating partners will be the same(at least Newegg will be). I'm guessing that's what the Nvidia message will be tonight.

Pretty solid deal, especially considering how much the case cost, and that's a pretty mandatory item IMO. I might go the Amazon route personally(if they have the same deal), as I've been having delivery problems lately, and Amazon is the only retailer that replaces shipments ASAP, without all the BS of filling claims.

Chris

That's a really good deal. Basically the gtx bundle deal without having to buy the video card. Wonder what it actually costs to make one of these. $350 was a shockingly low price IMO and now it will be widely available for $100 less with a free accessory. That blows my mind. No software subsidy or anything like Sony or Nintendo.

I'm hoping to see sales numbers after Christmas (I anticipate these will be a hot gift item) what do you guys think? 50-100k sold? Hope Europe and the rest of the world sees availability soon. This thing really kicks ass.

That's a really good deal. Basically the gtx bundle deal without having to buy the video card. Wonder what it actually costs to make one of these. $350 was a shockingly low price IMO and now it will be widely available for $100 less with a free accessory. That blows my mind. No software subsidy or anything like Sony or Nintendo.

I'm hoping to see sales numbers after Christmas (I anticipate these will be a hot gift item) what do you guys think? 50-100k sold? Hope Europe and the rest of the world sees availability soon. This thing really kicks ass.
Well, unlike Sony and "N", Nvidia makes the key component of this device. They have to pay Nvidia, or others like them for their CPU & Graphic Chips in their systems, so software subsidy is the order of the day.

Even with that said, I don't know how their making money either, as this device is so well built and put together. The original 350 price would have been a bargain for what you get. I think I'm finally going to have to take the plunge and grab one tonight. Damn the holidays, to many great deals everywhere you turn.

Chris

This is probably the most rugged piece of electronics I've ever owned. No need for a case at all. 

Glad I went with the graphics card bundle. Assassins creed 4, arkham origins and splinter cell make for a great deal.

Yes, the Shield is a really nice device.  However, mine is collecting dust lately just because it's not that portable.  I wish Shield 2 will be slimmed down to the size of the 3DSXL.  That would be awesome.

I can see a value in having more of a slimmed down powerhouse handheld, but I really appreciate the ergonomics over style or size design. It really makes it unlike anything else. I personally couldn't ask for better. Shrinking it down might be nice, but it might also ruin the thing its got going for it. Making it lighter wouldn't hurt though.

Does anyone have Re-Volt on Adroid they could try on the Shield?

Is Re-Volt worth purchasing?

I guess I'll try the free version right now. I had in my wish list waiting for a price drop.

Edit: Free version seemed fun, but I kept getting respawned randomly during a race, not sure why.

Hey, if $250 was to much for anybody, how does $200 sound? Good, I thought so :lol:

Hit up thinkgeek http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/17d6/?cpg=cj&ref=&CJURL=&CJID=1184666, and use this code at check out: BLACKMAGIC 

This will give another 50 off for 200, and 10 for shipping. So 210 out of the door. This code is only good until midnight tonight, so don't goof off. The free carry case is also included with this as well, so a 340 dollar value for 200, not bad. Thank CAG for this: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/323635-nvidia-shield-carrying-case-19999-10-shipping-at-thinkgeekcom/

Chris

EDIT:Sorry guys, looks like it's out of stock!

Update out for the shield. Grid Cloud Gaming is working pretty well for me and I'm in Texas(and have not so good internet).

8wocDht.png

These are $250 with free delivery at moment, but only for US and I think Canada

These are $250 with free delivery at moment, but only for US and I think Canada
Seems it will be $250 for the holidays. Makes you wonder how the Mad Catz Mojo for the same price has any chance of selling, it's a console rather than handheld, but still, people will compare the two given the shield can be connected to a tv also.

Anyone have a working mapping for n64oid? Regardless of how i set it up i the left analog stops working for a split second every ten seconds. Specifically the left/right movement.

Also I just tried out the grid game streaming (i'm in toronto canada so not close to their servers at all.) It was pretty much the exact same experience as playing a game streamed from my pc. I can see this being the next big thing in console gaming. An nvidia shield could potentially replace your ps4/xbox/3ds and android tablet all at once. Pretty impressive.

Yeah that grid gaming thing is nice. I'm playing Witcher 2 now in the hotel now where wireless is not that too but the game still runs well. I wonder where are these games coming from? Also they are all free so is it legit?

Where do you get n64oid? I can't seem to find it on play store.

Nvidia is not going to be illegally offering games from other publishers, so yes it's legit.

They're just free during the beta, Nvidia has worked with different publishers to put games on the GRID beta servers and are planning to add more games during the beta phase. They haven't announced any sort of pricing information for this service after it leaves beta.

Back