Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

Bad news, ppsspp chokes badly on heavy 3D games like crisis core and god of war, maybe 20fps w/ frameskip. dpad isnt mapable but the rest of the buttons are. Got some more less demanding games im still testing.

I wonder if this does multi core? It appears using the analog control actually slows down the processing a bit... strange

EDIT: is there a list of some psp games that run well on things like the pandora?

EDIT2: with a bit of configuration magic I was able to pull off a playable 30-40fps in ff7cc, gow still under 30fps in most instances,  

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it !!..I am charging until the amber light goes green...I know that is crazy but I have to do it this way.

I can say 2 things thus far ...1. The carbon lid looks real nice. 2. For me it is not as heavy as I thought it would be. Rather it feels perfectly weighted.

Going to register for the warranty.

I can say 2 things thus far ...1. The carbon lid looks real nice. 2. For me it is not as heavy as I thought it would be. Rather it feels perfectly weighted.
When you get the time, and if you have the ability to take some clear pictures, can you snap a few of your carbon lid on the unit?

All the video's and pics I've seen only show the glossy black, and that looks pretty good, but I haven't been able to gauge what the carbon fiber looks like on the unit. I do like the glossy, but for 20+ dollars, I think I may just keep the default shield and wait for some cool decals or some alternatives that have some cool graphics in place, instead of what is currently offered.

Damn, Newegg is now sold out of the carry cases as well.The only accessory still in stock is the black glossy shield. I wonder what everyone's initial qty where? Since Nvidia delayed that first shipment, I wonder if they sent the full order, or just a partial? Mmmmmmmmm, very interesting ;)   

Chris

When you get the time, and if you have the ability to take some clear pictures, can you snap a few of your carbon lid on the unit?

All the video's and pics I've seen only show the glossy black, and that looks pretty good, but I haven't been able to gauge what the carbon fiber looks like on the unit. I do like the glossy, but for 20+ dollars, I think I may just keep the default shield and wait for some cool decals or some alternatives that have some cool graphics in place, instead of what is currently offered.

Damn, Newegg is now sold out of the carry cases as well.The only accessory still in stock is the black glossy shield. I wonder what everyone's initial qty where? Since Nvidia delayed that first shipment, I wonder if they sent the full order, or just a partial? Mmmmmmmmm, very interesting ;)   

Chris
Sure...I tell you this picture does not do it justice.

SAM_0025.JPG

Last edited:
That doesn't look to bad at all. I could see getting one of those. 

Sadly, after getting an extra skin and that damn carry case, this takes the shield up to 400 bucks(well, pretty close anyways)! Damn :p

Chris

Chris
Cool looking Carbon lid,  poor bed spread choice :p

Chris
It's the bread spread from the hotel   :D

Chris
It's the bread spread from the hotel   :D
ha ha...blame my girl for that one.

Welp..all I can say is that this is the best portable gaming gadget I ever had my sweaty hands on.

Unbelievable...if you are even thinking about getting this,,don't think any longer just take the plunge. ;)

I am really liking the thought Nvidia put into their carrying case. Adding that usb/charge port really sets it over the top.

Welp..all I can say is that this is the best portable gaming gadget I ever had my sweaty hands on.

Unbelievable...if you are even thinking about getting this,,don't think any longer just take the plunge. ;)
WOW, those are some bold statements.

What are the best features that make it so great? What was that "ONE" shinning moment where you knew this was the ultimate device?

I'm a huge Pandora fan, and my main like of this device is classic game emulation and proper physical controls(and the keyboard when needed for emulation purposes). I'm mainly interested in the shield for the same reasons, and for the Android specific games that may one day use the physical controls. I'm also way interest in the Tegra specific games as well, as they seem pretty high end to be running on such a small device.

I currently don't have any plans to ever use the streaming, so that can't be a selling point for me. Although it may be for others.

Chris

I am really liking the thought Nvidia put into their carrying case. Adding that usb/charge port really sets it over the top.
Agreed. I actually find this feature super cool, as I have cases for every handheld device I own and this is the first one to offer such a common sense feature.

Chris

Got mine yesterday and this thing is sexy! The build quality is amazing, the screen especially is very nice. Probably the most responsive touchscreen I've ever used not to mention the sharpness and clarity. I guess these IPS screens really make a difference. I'm gonna load this thing up with roms today and get my emu collection up and running. 

Also, i'm really impressed with the battery life. Probably only the Pandora beats it in that area.

What are the best features that make it so great? What was that "ONE" shinning moment where you knew this was the ultimate device?

I'm a huge Pandora fan, and my main like of this device is classic game emulation and proper physical controls(and the keyboard when needed for emulation purposes). I'm mainly interested in the shield for the same reasons, and for the Android specific games that may one day use the physical controls. I'm also way interest in the Tegra specific games as well, as they seem pretty high end to be running on such a small device.

I currently don't have any plans to ever use the streaming, so that can't be a selling point for me. Although it may be for others.

Chris
As soon as I held it in my hands and turned it on I knew this was a classy,expensively made device. it just feels so right. Best control scheme and ergonomics I have ever seen in a handheld device. I just thought Nvidia 'got it'. The touch screen is spot on accurate and looks vibrant. I'd say if one had very small hands they might find this device a bit too much to hold and manipulate...my only negative comment thus far.

Last edited:
Got 3 of mine delivered yesterday but somehow too lazy to open them.  I'm still playing on my Pandora  :D

5 hours of playing emulators today, 50% battery left.... so looks like they were pretty accurate with the 10 hours of use for non "tegra enhanced" games

Chris
As soon as I held it in my hands and turned it on I knew this was a classy,expensively made device. it just feels so right. Best control scheme and ergonomics I have ever seen in a handheld device. I just thought Nvidia 'got it'. The touch screen is spot on accurate and looks vibrant. I'd say if one had very small hands they might find this device a bit too much to hold and manipulate...my only negative comment thus far.
I've actually got girl size hands, but normally I prefer bigger items actually, so this shouldn't be an issue. The weight might be the only area where I have an issue, as I do prefer my devices to be as light as possible.

5 hours of playing emulators today, 50% battery left.... so looks like they were pretty accurate with the 10 hours of use for non "tegra enhanced" games
Everyone says this is why the device is so heavy, as it is mostly all battery inside this beast. I'm glad someone decided to go the Pandora route and deliver some decent battery power and not try to make the device super small and light weight. Sometimes you just need to go "RAW" and balls to the wall, and say $%#@ all that apple ergonomic crap, and deliver a muscle machine.

Chris

I finally opened the box and man this thing is impressive! It is really built for us gamers!  All I can say is wow!!!!

Back