Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

So is there something gaming-related that the Pandora is still better at?

I'm really interested at the Pandy for being a pocket-sized Linux computer but the cheap-gamer in me is saying that 300$ less is not negligible.

I'm really interested at the Pandy for being a pocket-sized Linux computer but the cheap-gamer in me is saying that 300$ less is not negligible.
Anything that requires more keys then what's on a the gamepad.

Mostly PC game ports, DOS/Amiga/C64 emulation and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anything that requires more keys then what's on a the gamepad.

Mostly PC game ports, DOS/Amiga/C64 emulation and so on.
Good point.

Why did you guys get me excited about this - It's just plain inconsiderate... I can't afford another device! Maybe next year... (just bought a Note 8.0 a couple of months ago). :)

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I'm glad you guys are happy with the Shield, you were all so stressed about the purchase.  I hope you are all relaxed about it now.

Why did you guys get me excited about this - It's just plain inconsiderate... I can't afford another device! Maybe next year... (just bought a Note 8.0 a couple of months ago). :) Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Sorry FaeMinx.. I am ashamed.  ;)

I'm glad you guys are happy with the Shield, you were all so stressed about the purchase.  I hope you are all relaxed about it now.
^Thank you I am very relaxed.

There is only one game of 10 I downloaded so far that would not play for me and that is Zombie Driver. It is a huge ,almost 1gig game. I was prompted for the 1gig download after purchasing the game. Tried 3x but it crashed to home menu. I called Nvidia Corp. and they referred me to Google Play.

Wound up getting a refund. Even though I passed the 15min purchase allowance. Because it was my first ever refund request and the fact that the download surpassed 15mins [900mb took 3/4 hr.] I was granted the refund with no problems.

It was on sale for $1.75 USD from previous 4.99.

First game I ever purchased from Google Play/Android that prompted me for such a download. Usually everything is rather instantaneous as was the case with the other 10 Nvidia Shield games I downloaded.

Otherwise no problems here. Going to play now.

Last edited:
Anyone try the humble bundle with android games on this yet? Very interested in playing stealth bastard deluxe when I finally have some cash to buy this thing.

I can't wait to get my hands on my shield. I'll have to wait one or two more days though (should be in cologne already).

I never understood so many people were so negative about pricing. If you really a quality device like this, you'll gladly pay the 299$ (even the 349,99$ originally). Otherwise, why even bother? Flaming, nothing more.

I live in germany and have been waiting for this one since the first specs and screenshots appeared on the net. When I learned it won't be available outside US and Canada for an uncertain period of time after release, I became really disappointed but I didn't give up. I preordered directly at the nvidia online store and registered at a package forwarding service.

I believe that almost no one on earth pays more money for his shield than me (shipping inside us, service and shipping to germany, duty and taxes and so on), but I really don't care too much. I hope it gets here soon and that I won't have any issues for the next few months to years with it (fingers crossed). I'm really curious how many other people in europe have chosen this possibility too (maybe ED?).

Greetings,

Abaddon

The Shield appears to be back in stock over at Newegg. At least for the moment.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814998077

Chris

Edit: Sold Out Again!
Man!  This thing got sold like hot cakes  :D
Yeah, they where up for a good long while today, so I'm guess that was their remainder of their first shipment(or maybe a second one), as they always had today as the date for more qty. Now, they don't even have an ETA for any more inventory. Nvidia has stated they should have more within 1 week or so, but they charge tax I believe and crazy shipping charges, so Newegg seems to be the way to go, unless someone just can't wait and needs to go direct to the source. 

Chris

I can't wait to get my hands on my shield. I'll have to wait one or two more days though (should be in cologne already).

I never understood so many people were so negative about pricing. If you really a quality device like this, you'll gladly pay the 299$ (even the 349,99$ originally). Otherwise, why even bother? Flaming, nothing more.

I live in germany and have been waiting for this one since the first specs and screenshots appeared on the net. When I learned it won't be available outside US and Canada for an uncertain period of time after release, I became really disappointed but I didn't give up. I preordered directly at the nvidia online store and registered at a package forwarding service.

I believe that almost no one on earth pays more money for his shield than me (shipping inside us, service and shipping to germany, duty and taxes and so on), but I really don't care too much. I hope it gets here soon and that I won't have any issues for the next few months to years with it (fingers crossed). I'm really curious how many other people in europe have chosen this possibility too (maybe ED?).

Greetings,

Abaddon
The people who complain about $299 being too expensive (especially the ones who make it sound like it's WAY too expensive) are totally baffling to me. $299 is only moderately more expensive than a real mainstream tablet that lacks a lot of the features and power that Shield has. And compared to other handhelds it's not much more than Vita was when it first came out, but much more versatile and not subsidized by game sales. And nVidia isn't exactly poised to sell tens of millions of these. $299 is really a very aggressive price, much cheaper than I thought it'd be.

Greetings,

Abaddon
The people who complain about $299 being too expensive (especially the ones who make it sound like it's WAY too expensive) are totally baffling to me. $299 is only moderately more expensive than a real mainstream tablet that lacks a lot of the features and power that Shield has. And compared to other handhelds it's not much more than Vita was when it first came out, but much more versatile and not subsidized by game sales. And nVidia isn't exactly poised to sell tens of millions of these. $299 is really a very aggressive price, much cheaper than I thought it'd be.
Now, on the internet you get so many clowns who just want to to put stuff down, for one reason or another. I could see the value in this, the same way I can for the Pandora.

It's not for everyone, but when you see the "i" products that get release annually and what they cost, versus what you get, I can see the value in almost anything currently made. The bench marks on this thing are off the charts compared to anything currently available, it's designed to do what it does very well, and the battery is to die for.

You neither know a good deal when you see it, or you don't. Most of the internet are sheep, and unless someone tells them what to do, they are often times clueless.

Chris 

I think the Shield will give NVdia good reputation to enter the console war against Microsoft and Sony.  Now if NVIDIA were to release a console and compete with XBOX One and PS4, I think they would do real good.

Apparently this thing is so awesome no one can put it down long enough to showcase it's emulator capabilities via youtube :p .

Apparently this thing is so awesome no one can put it down long enough to showcase it's emulator capabilities via youtube :p .
Yeah, I've seen a bunch of comments on emulation, but the videos are lame at best. Hopefully someone is working on a killer vid that showcases the best of the best.

Chris

I think somewhere in this thread ANDROID said it emulate everything excellently except for some PSP games on PPSSPP.  Well my memory is bad so...

I'm working on it, I did one video already of a bunch of emulators, but I don't think I did a good enough job with the commentary and I didn't show off mame, any sega consoles, and all the older consoles that it's capable of doing, I was mainly just concerned with nintendo and psx consoles. I'm still kinda dumbfounded by just how awesome it is. It's true... I can't put it down long enough to focus on other things.

If it's demanded that someone sees it, I will upload it. But I'm working on a better one hopefully soon

Back