Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

Full review of the Shield is now up on Engadget here: http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/31/nvidia-shield-review/
I actually woke up to several reviews this morning, and they all seem more positive, than negative. Over at NeoGAF, most of the members are surprised by the positive reviews. As usual, if you don't understand a device, than it's not for you. So many guys leave such negative comments, and they have no clue why a device like this would appeal to someone. Even if you don't look at this for gaming, it has kick-ass performance and best almost another tablet or smartphone around, and it's priced waaaayyyyy better.

I've been interested in getting a tablet for awhile, and what has always stopped me, was the lack of gaming controls. Although things like ICP, and other Bluetooth controllers exist, I'm more about the controls being included. So far the biggest negative I have seen for me would be the lack of a good way to hold the screen to use the onscreen keyboard.

I really think they should have allowed the screen to flip over on to the device, so that it could be held proper for screen press inputs. That would also be good for playing those android games that only work in portrait mode. When I use my DS/3DS sideways for portrait games, it's not to bad since both half's are the same overall shape and weight. It's like holding open a book. The reviews point out how heavy the control portion is, and this has to be a consideration when holding the Shield certain ways. I'm sure if this device sees decent sales, they will offer an improved design somewhere down the line.

Overall, it's looking nice. My main concerns right now would be overall controller support and games down the road. Nvidia isn't a big game player like Nintendo or Sony in regards to making games, but they have relationships with almost every game maker in the industry due to their standard business. So if anyone can make a device like this, and gain some decent long term standards and support, I think they can. Almost every ios and android game maker should see the value in having proper game controls for their games(if the device has physical controls or not), and this is a solid step in the right direction for an industry standard.

Now I just need to see some N64 and overall emu performance, and I should be getting one soon. All the reviews state how fast this thing runs, so I'm really looking forward to what can be done in regards to the devices emulation performance, it should be awesome.

Chris

kinda O/T from the reviews and whatnot but I just wanted to add this in here as it's somewhat relevant to the shield

I held a contest on my forum & geforce forum for the past couple weeks to help pass the time while we waited on the shield to be delivered. Contest was to find the cheapest prebuilt system capable of doing PC streaming that met all the requirements set by nvidia. Here is the result of that contest.

it meets all the requirements of Shield, will be assembled by the OEM, includes Windows, and will require no user modification to work

http://www.ecollegepc.com/amd-athlon-phenom.html

Just select 4GB of RAM, 500GB HDD, Windows 8 64bit($109) and a 1GB GTX650.

I want to add, use the coupon code of "BLACKFRIDAY" and get 5% off your order bringing the price down to $524.40 USD and you can add a CD/DVD drive if you want for another $22 it's an amazing price if you're in the market to replace your old gaming rig.

For the prize I sent the user a copy of boarderlands 2 digital download via steam.

enjoy

-SNESFAN

...aka ANDROID

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, I've been reading all the reviews and the only slightly bad one I saw was from IGN(no surprise there), these guys are clueless on a regular basis.

The more I read, the more interested I'm getting. Every review so far has been really kind in the overall scheme of what Nvidia is try to do and achieve. I need to hurry up and get rid of this damn iPod touch, so I can place an order ;)  One review even talked about emulation, and said how N64 and PS1 ran great(with only minor hiccups), but I'm sure those issues have to do with the lack of optimization of said emu's.

Chris 

Looks like mine will be arriving in a few days. Got the case and the carbon fiber lid too.

I am excited.

Looks like mine will be arriving in a few days. Got the case and the carbon fiber lid too.

I am excited.
Cool! The reviews have been damn good overall, and this is looking really worthwhile. As long as emu performance is solid, I'm going to get one for sure.

Once it arrives, give opinions and or a review once you get some time in. Also, let me know how you like the carbon fiber lid. After looking at all 3, I think the gloss black looks the best, but that's not saying much. They really don't have a good enough pic of the CF for me to rate that one. Hopefully some of the decal businesses will make some cool skins for the shields as well(or for the unit in general), and then I can just cover the stock one, or the whole device if need be :lol:

Chris

The gloss looked like it would be a fingerprint magnet to me but maybe not. The lids attach magnetically. I will let you know my thoughts once I get it...8 hr. initial battery charge recommended  ;)

5th of Aug. will be the latest date it will arrive...time frame between the 3-5th.

I am anxious to try the Steam beta app too. Looks like it will be ideal for FPS'S which really is my favorite game mode to play.

I also read there will be a wider selection of Tegra Zone games in the coming months ahead.

Last edited:
Damn, Youtube is down right now. How was the clip?

Chris

EDIT: Yeah, that does look smooth, but this is the "LAST" N64 game I would have ever tried. Put on some Conkers or Banjo, some of the more taxing games.

Mine's on its way and I'll use it mainly for emulation  :D  as there's no real keyboard to be productive  :D

So mine arrived about 2 hours ago.... I cant put it down

it is simply the best gaming experience ive had on a handheld emulator

I find I am at a complete lack of words to describe it.... maybe just one

Happiness

So mine arrived about 2 hours ago.... I cant put it down it is simply the best gaming experience ive had on a handheld emulator I find I am at a complete lack of words to describe it.... maybe just one Happiness
So how is mame4droid reloaded and aFBA running on it Android

So mine arrived about 2 hours ago.... I cant put it down it is simply the best gaming experience ive had on a handheld emulator I find I am at a complete lack of words to describe it.... maybe just one Happiness
Come on, you've got to give more details than that?

How do the emu's all run? SNES, N64, PSX, Etc? Does android have a PSP emu, and if so how does it run? Also, I've heard from some of the reviews, that the D-Pad is along 360 lines, which would all but kill this for me, as I'm looking to run emu's and the 360 D-Pad works like crap for Frogger and Pacman, forget about Street Fighter and other games. I can't imagine it would be that bad, but who knows?

Are the speakers as cool as Nvidia makes them out to be? How's the Shield VS. Pandora(sorry, but I had to ask ;) )? So is it 300 well spent? I know some of these questions can't be answered after only a few hours, but just give it your best try.

Damn, every place is sold out. I didn't even know it was a US and Canada only release. I could have grabbed some extra and flipped them and help pay for mine. I always do great business on International sales, due to not many wanting the hassles. I still may grab some if demand is still high when restock arrives.

Chris

Mine just shipped today.

@android... videos please??

How awesome is Tegra Zone?

Last edited:
Dpad is xbox 360 style but its 4 micro switches diaginals and rolling works fine as does the percision.

Speakers are freaking loud (too loud) crisp and clear, top notch just as described.

Emulation is just perfect no frameskip on anything including n64, psx, and nds. I havent tried psp yet. The only limitation is the compatibily that are basically ports of the same stuff the pandora has (mupen64 is probally in the worst state)

Havent done mame yet as I dont play it too much, (romsets confuse the crap out of me)

Tegra zone the app is alright just a google market filter, im downloading a couple android games as I type this ill give some impressions after I tried a bit, I mostly got this for emulators though.

I dont want to actually review it or videos till the afterglow wears off a bit, maybe later tonight, but I have a strong feeling this has been the device ive been looking for my entire adult life.

Yes this is THE Android Device to own !!!

N64 and PS1 on it are awesome.  First Android device I have owned (And a have just about all of them) that can run Conker at 30fps !

And Android games like Riptide and ShadowGun are amaxing to play. The controls allow for pinpoint accuracy not like the Chinese clones and their laggy horrible 3DS Sliders.

The screen is breathtaking and the sound is incredible.

The Shield is well worth $300

Dpad is xbox 360 style but its 4 micro switches diaginals and rolling works fine as does the percision. Speakers are freaking loud (too loud) crisp and clear, top notch just as described. Emulation is just perfect no frameskip on anything including n64, psx, and nds. I havent tried psp yet. The only limitation is the compatibily that are basically ports of the same stuff the pandora has (mupen64 is probally in the worst state) Havent done mame yet as I dont play it too much, (romsets confuse the crap out of me) Tegra zone the app is alright just a google market filter, im downloading a couple android games as I type this ill give some impressions after I tried a bit, I mostly got this for emulators though. I dont want to actually review it or videos till the afterglow wears off a bit, maybe later tonight, but I have a strong feeling this has been the device ive been looking for my entire adult life.
Oh Snap! The D-Pad is using micro switches like the neo geo pocket did? How the hell has this not been talked about anywhere? I would buy one of these for that alone. This is the biggest compliment they could having given to a true gamer. Respect to Nvidia!

Yes this is THE Android Device to own !!!

N64 and PS1 on it are awesome.  First Android device I have owned (And a have just about all of them) that can run Conker at 30fps !

And Android games like Riptide and ShadowGun are amaxing to play. The controls allow for pinpoint accuracy not like the Chinese clones and their laggy horrible 3DS Sliders.

The screen is breathtaking and the sound is incredible.

The Shield is well worth $300
 WOW, Conkers at full speed uh? How well do the controls map, in regards to the N64? I'm guessing you can map the right analog as the camera buttons? 

I'm guessing you guys are using the standard Android emu's right? I'm not to familiar with Android, but is it possible the Shield could receive it's own specific optimized emu's at some point, are is it more of a closed device like an iPod Touch?

I'm guessing these emu's work so great, just due to the shear horse power being thrown at them, but getting ones that are optimized would be super cool. I know most Android devices aren't up to Shields specs, so it would be nice to see some later systems attempted, since this device seems more up to the task than any other current tablets or smartphones. 

Chris

I don't see any area in which you can optimize an emulator for Shield unless you can use nVidia OpenGL ES extensions. That'd only apply to a handful of emulators at best.

Back