nVIDIA SHIELD™ Portable 2 - Coming soon?

I wonder why they would release a tablet as Shield though.
Stick a handlebar in the center of a large tablet, bam! a shield.. stops flailing enemy swords or flame breaths from evil Dragons..  

Last edited by a moderator:
Ed, it pisses me off, because the whole Project Shield dream was about a high quality built handheld Android console with physical console-like controls.

nVIDIA don't seem to understand that nVIDIA Shield 2 should be reserved for non-tablet form gaming.

Fuck you nVIDIA !!!

Ed, it pisses me off, because the whole Project Shield dream was about a high quality built handheld Android console with physical console-like controls.

nVIDIA don't seem to understand that nVIDIA Shield 2 should be reserved for non-tablet form gaming.

Fuck you nVIDIA !!!
YSHEmfZ.jpg

My guess is that they will launch a tegra note 7 with a controller attachment ala wikipad.  Thats the rumour.  

Sadly, this isn't really a big surprise if this is indeed the path they are taking. For everyone who likes the Shield and understands it's true purpose, there are 100 more consumers who would rather have a high end smartphone or tablet, and just use the on screen controls, or have their own choice of cheap add on controls.

The Shield was really great, and I think it surpassed a lot of expectations, but fell short in other areas. I personally think a S2 could be a major player if the flaws of the original where improved, and a worldwide release was done. Everything that made the Shield a must buy for me, also made it less appealing to the masses.

As much as we may think this sucks, Nvidia will probably do way better with a more powerful tablet, than they ever did with the Shield. It was a wonderful experiment and I'm sure Nvidia learned a lot, but it seems like they are more interested in going down the tried and true route, than down the road less taken.

Oh well, at least we've got Pyra ;)

Chris

Unless Nvidia pulled a major ruse with the FCC, there still will be a controller like Handheld Shield 2.

My guess is the tablet form that's rumored is nothing more than the (K1) Tegra Note 7 and that they will also be offering a controller attachment.  

IT makes sense , many people who are after an android gaming device have gone the path of a chinese gaming tablet offering because it offers them the flexibility to play touch games as well as the controller games, and it also doubles as a tablet.  Strong reasons which ive seen many times from people. Its a form factor thing.

^ Don't think I was explaining myself clearly enough in my last post, but what I meant was the Nvidia tablet would have Nvidia Shield written on it whereas the other Tegra K1 tablets wouldn't, also the software that comes bundled with the tablet would vary depending on which company was selling it. Those are likely to be the major differences between the Shield 2 if it turns out to be a tablet and the other Tegra K1 tablets. Could be wrong though. *shrugs*

I think there will be a Shield 2 some time after the Shield tablet.

This makes sense to me, unless there is a separate controller for the tablet as per wikipad.

It's interesting to note that in the leaked picture of the tablet the store is showing games under the category of 'controller'.

What would be great is if the controller could be used to turn existing phones / tablets into a shield type device, just imagine if it had a built in keyboard as well  ;) .

I don't think you need a real keyboard on a tablet. The virtual keyboard is plenty big enough with enough remaining screen. I'm actually on the iPad now and have no problem speed typing on it.

I don't think you need a keyboard on a tablet. The virtual keyboard is plenty big enough with enough remaining screen. I'm actually on the iPad now and have no problem speed typing on it.

So... just another tablet, which as been said, is good for those that want a high end tablet and perhaps use a dock controller or pair with a PS4 pad or something, but to me it does seem to be a side step to the direction they were going with the Shield.

I was kind of hoping and expecting another clamshell device, with controls built in ... and was hoping it would be a little more pocket-friendly.

Obviously Pyra is my dream device, if I can use as a phone that is.

Just wish Sony would wake up and do an Xperia Play 2, seems they missing a trick there.

Just the same as the first one in terms of physical design, but 5" screen and able to run modern versions Kitkat. That would've been my phone of choice until the Pyra :)

I recently got the iReadygo Much G2 phablet.

It's ok.

But wish it had a dpad rather than this little nub.

I've lost interest in this Shield 2 now anyway. No controls = No go

Yep, the autocorrection is the problem with those tablets
I find autocorrect quite useful myself, mind you it does need to be trained for a while first before it becomes useful.
For me it's like some annoying smart-ass goblin in my device constantly fumbling around - that's totally uncalled for.

Back