Nintendo Wii U

So it seems that while it can theoretically support multiple controllers, they don't plan on making games that require multiple controllers because they don't want their customers to feel they have to buy expensive controllers, which is a smart enough move I suppose, but why nix it completely? If someone has two controllers and wants to play a game that would normally be split screen, take advantage of the fact that they have two controllers, just make sure there's a way to play with one (or even no) special controllers. Seems a little shortsighted to me.
They're still a year out. A lot can still change in that time frame.

If I was Nintendo and I was producing a optional controller like this which will probably be valued around 100USD there's a lot to be said for setting things up so the customer base demands being able to use more then one instead of simply providing it and "forcing" the consumer. Particularly given the response I'm seeing is that people don't get what this thing opens up at all, and are just thinking in pure standalone tablet terms it seems a better opening move then the alternative.

It's not their fault people are contrary and judgmental. Although the fact their balance board and the driving wheel injection molded donut have tended to be in the same price range undermines my belief in their sincerity.

Since this game was already released on Wii (SD) mid and late last year...I'm hoping the PS3/360 version is ported straight to Wii U next year...a Wii U launch title, perhaps? A man can dream...

goldbox-w640.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No, Activision killed Guitar Hero. Literally, they milked it to the point where one entry sold little more than 12,000 copies. That was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I believe he means a fail to more 'hardcore' gamers, whilst it sold by the million to everyone else.

I believe he means a fail to more 'hardcore' gamers, whilst it sold by the million to everyone else.
The instant someone gives me a meaningful, concrete definition of what a "hardcore" gamer is, I will accept it.

I am concerned about the price of their controllers though they look expensive, it was bad enough with £30 for wimote and then £15 for nunchuck

Exactly what I thought when I heard about the Wii U.

Those controllers I'd say will probably be in the $80-$100+ price range. To be fair, you don't HAVE to get 4 of these controllers, I believe I read that it would be compatible with the Wiimote and nunchuck. But still, reminds me of Dreamcast days when I only had one VMU and the rest of my memory cards were just 3rd party 4x ones. Even if the VMU didn't add much functionality, everyone still wanted it.

From a financial standpoint, Nintendo being Nintendo will sell the Wii U at a profit. They could potentially sell the controllers at a loss and still come out okay given sufficient software sales cause $50 per console won't completely cancel out a $30 loss per controller.

But with Nintendo being Nintendo, would they do that?

Does anyone know whether or not an HDMI cable (or at least a component cable) will be included when you buy a Wii U?

It would make sense to include one in there...although 360 and PS3 never initially included an HDMI cable (360 came/comes with a component cable iirc, I think?), so Nintendo might follow suit, even if to just save that little bit of money in final console pack price.

Console specs still in flux, but sources say Nintendo now has ambitions for touch-screen multiplayer

d4f14dc74ba73c82489eb8933d49dfe0.jpg

Nintendo engineers are working hard to upgrade Wii U so that it can simultaneously support two tablet controllers, Develop understands.

A trusted game development executive has said there are numerous indications within the Wii U codebase that the console is, at the very least, being prepared to operate with two touch-screen pads.

Nintendo and development partners had previously indicated that only one tablet controller could work with the system, due to technical limitations.

But Develop’s source, speaking on the condition of anonymity, explained that multi-tablet support is one of three remaining variables for the next-gen console. The other two are RAM capacity and processor speed.

The person said Nintendo appears to be on the cusp of solving the technical conundrum of a single Wii U device supporting two tablet controllers. The source added that there was no indication, and very little chance, that four tablet controllers would ever be supported.

http://www.develop-o...for-two-tablets

Back