Nintendo Wii U

there goes our hope of gamecube compatibility.

Oh, and 8GB flash would be enough for me and my savegames. I would plug in my external harddrive for my music etc anyway. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope the controller allows me to not use the TV, I do most of my gaming on portables these days so I don't disturb my wife.

The U is supposed to signify You, a single person, so they've gone from the Wii being a multiplayer focused machine, to the exact opposite, you can use upto 4 Wii remotes with the U though.

What a strange E3 this has been.

The U is supposed to signify You, a single person, so they've gone from the Wii being a multiplayer focused machine, to the exact opposite, you can use upto 4 Wii remotes with the U though.
Based on the word of a single rep, by an outlet that's playing shock jock, around a year before product release.

I take it you're new at this?

Reality:

-The amount of real information out right now is little more then the controller exists and what it looks like.

-Nintendo not continuing it's habit of selling accessories makes no sense.

-That screen is probably 800x480 given it is 6.2" screen and they're not making a big issue of it.

-That's 1/5.4 the pixel count of a 1920x1080 screen

-Even if it is really being done with raw uncompressed video, a video lane should consume little more then 11.52Mb/s, if they're managing local dimming and the pixel stream.

-802.11n wireless is designed to handle 250Mb/s, meaning maintaining four two way channels and overhead should be easy.

The real issue would be the software for the videocard managing four virtual machines with GPU acceleration, which unless they're using Microsoft Hyper-V isn't really mature at this time. Well that and a 4870 doesn't have enough horsepower to be doing Crysis at 1080p on Enthusiast and run much of consequence on a set of controllers.

Sorry if I seem misinformed, I get most of my info from my previous employers still (worked as a store manager for Chips) and sometimes from the various reps who go to the stores and make sure they are up to date with everything that going on, the whole U means You thing was from a rep earlier today.

Whichever way it plays out we'll find out for certain soon enough.

Reality:

-The amount of real information out right now is little more then the controller exists and what it looks like.

-Nintendo not continuing it's habit of selling accessories makes no sense.

-That screen is probably 800x480 given it is 6.2" screen and they're not making a big issue of it.

-That's 1/5.4 the pixel count of a 1920x1080 screen

-Even if it is really being done with raw uncompressed video, a video lane should consume little more then 11.52Mb/s, if they're managing local dimming and the pixel stream.

-802.11n wireless is designed to handle 250Mb/s, meaning maintaining four two way channels and overhead should be easy.

The real issue would be the software for the videocard managing four virtual machines with GPU acceleration, which unless they're using Microsoft Hyper-V isn't really mature at this time. Well that and a 4870 doesn't have enough horsepower to be doing Crysis at 1080p on Enthusiast and run much of consequence on a set of controllers.

1. Very true and unfortunately so many people (nobody from here though) are way too quick to jump on the "Hate on Wii U" bandwagon.

2. That's a good thing. I hate it when they release too many unnecessary accessories.

3. No CPU/GPU in the controller. Wireless video is streamed to the screen. I expect battery life and such to be mostly pretty good, as the controller doesn't actually render anything.

I'm sure there'll still be some CPU/GPU in the controller, just not for doing anything more than assisting in the streaming process.

It's a shame that games have to worry about a second display without being able to offload it to independent hardware, although I guess DS and 3DS already established that requirement.

Going to be pretty crappy if that screen really is 800x480. That's low resolution by modern standards, for that size. Hey Wii U owners, someone taking your TV? No problem, you can still play on the controller! (at one fifth the resolution). That feature would also mean that those games would have to be able to meaningfully fall back to just one screen...

Hey Jebe, how'd you get 11.52MB/s anyway? 800 * 480 * 3bytes/pixel * 60Hz = 65.92MB/s. And 802.11n-2009 only goes up to 600Mbit/s, or 75MB/s. Shit.

They talking about implementing the 3DS as a possible controller (maybe for certain games, like what the GBA did with Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, where you had your info on your GBA, or 'shudders' Tiggle on LoZ Wind Waker.

Going to be pretty crappy if that screen really is 800x480. That's low resolution by modern standards, for that size.
It's the same resolution density as 1920x1080@33.5", 1333x768@16.5", and 1280x720@15". That's a slightly higher density then most laptop displays, as they've only just started shifting the 15.6" standard to 1333x768 and high end for HDTVs.

Is there some reason you think Nintendo would go for high desktop pixel densities, contrary to what we've seen from them otherwise?

Hey Wii U owners, someone taking your TV? No problem, you can still play on the controller! (at one fifth the resolution).
The Nintendo Wii is the best selling console on the market and only had SD output, ala 640x480 on a much larger screen then the old 14" CRTs of the late DOS era, and plenty of people have been satisfied with tablets with 7" screen at that resolution density. So what's your problem?

Hey Jebe, how'd you get 11.52MB/s anyway?
Forget to account for color and use 30 fps, ala old TV standards, and obviously use Megabits like I annotated it.

It's the same resolution density as 1920x1080@33.5", 1333x768@16.5", and 1280x720@15". That's a slightly higher density then most laptop displays, as they've only just started shifting the 15.6" standard to 1333x768 and high end for HDTVs.

Is there some reason you think Nintendo would go for high desktop pixel densities, contrary to what we've seen from them otherwise?

The Nintendo Wii is the best selling console on the market and only had SD output, ala 640x480 on a much larger screen then the old 14" CRTs of the late DOS era, and plenty of people have been satisfied with tablets with 7" screen at that resolution density. So what's your problem?

The SD output was the biggest complaint for the console, hence why Nintendo is pushing for a refresh earlier than the other companies to get something more powerful out that handles HD resolutions. Downscaling on the controller screen, which they're advertising as being a replacement for TV output, will be seen by at least some to be contradictory. But they probably don't really have a choice to make the controller > 800x480 if they want the costs to even approach reasonable.

Forget to account for color and use 30 fps, ala old TV standards, and obviously use Megabits like I annotated it.

Oh, okay, let's use megabits. I assumed that you didn't mean them simply to give you the benefit of the doubt; now the number makes 8 times less sense. Please explain where you're getting an 11.5 megabit/s bandwidth requirement. At 30Hz (which would suck even more, since I'm sure the games will be trying for 60Hz) it's 800 * 480 * 24bit/pixel * 30Hz = 276.46mbit/s (note, base-10 not base-2 mebibits, in order to further avoid your scrutiny). You're off by a factor of 24 and I'm having a difficult time reasoning why. If it's greyscale you're only off by a factor of 8 (as what you might get if you WERE using megabytes)

or could be a case of final fantasy with 22gb worth of video and few gb worth of game, or 18gb worth of game, 20gb worth of 3D like killzone, in other ways, nobodys gonna make a game with 50gb of useful data these days

Exactly what I fear.

Filling 50 GB of code is hard.

Tell that to Hideo Kojima. Of course, most of that is video since he makes movies, not games. ;)

I just seen reports that Nintendos share prices dropped 'significantly' since the announcement of the WiiU, I do find that funny :)
A 6% drop, yeah. Seems significant. When the Wii was demoed at E3 2005, it only dropped 3%, and 4% at last years E3 when the 3DS was shown off.

Long story short: when Nintendo makes an announcement, shareholders sell. I don't know why, they just do. In 2005 and 2010 they recovered within a couple of weeks, I don't expect this to be any different. In fact, the only year I can see that Nintendo's price didn't drop at least some following E3 was 2007. What did they do in 2007?

Which means that now is a good time to buy Nintendo shares. I wish I had some extra capital laying around. I'd totally do that. I predict that this is going to be a smashing success just due to the unique nature of the controllers.

800*480*30 = 11.5Mbit

Okay, "forget to account for color" means 1-bit per pixel I guess.
If it's not colour, it's black and white, and you don't need more than 1 bit for that :p

Actually, there's been a few really good 1 bit games over the decades. It's a very interesting medium to work with, I should try to see if there's anything recent. But I digress.

If it's not colour, it's black and white, and you don't need more than 1 bit for that :p
Actually, there's been a few really good 1 bit games over the decades. It's a very interesting medium to work with, I should try to see if there's anything recent. But I digress.

Heh, maybe you'd like MegaZeux.. the graphics aren't 1-bit all around but the tiles are. It's editable text-mode style.

Whatever the case...Next year, I advise everyone to jump on the Nintendo Wii U bandwagon, because the PS3 and 360 console are run by 2 of the worse money hungry corporations in the world. All we need now is for Apple to make a home console and it'd make it 3 for 3. A perfect combination for greed.

Back