Nintendo Wii U

It's a console with a controller that has a huge resistive touch screen (single touch) on it.

Everything we know about Nintendo Wii U

so it's not that great a console hardware wise

not a great controller design

not that great a touchscreen

i'm failling to see what it's got going for it, other than yet another version of mario
What it is, is the very first FULL HD, 1080p capable Nintendo console...A Nintendo console that can finally compete with and in most cases surpass PS3 and 360's technical specifications.

It still has a lot of time to change, so when it comes out next year watch it run rings around the competition.

Watch the videos below.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/arHNcSMXaBk?feature=oembed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVno6meHHic

Last edited by a moderator:
I just seen reports that Nintendos share prices dropped 'significantly' since the announcement of the WiiU, I do find that funny :)

I just seen reports that Nintendos share prices dropped 'significantly' since the announcement of the WiiU, I do find that funny :)
They just had a poor conference, the stuff announced was amazing, but they just rambled a bit about it. That, and the confusion about the Wiiu being a new console or controller for the wii that everyone was having...

I know, i would have liked to see a new name for it though, Nintendo wants to cater for the 'hardcore' (their own words) gamer, the Wii brand has managed to become synonymous with casual gaming which probably hasn't helped it.

I get the impression Nintendo are trying too hard.

Nah, I wouldn't tarnish the GameCube name without knowing what this thing is going to be like, I get the distinct feeling the U stands for Unimaginative, just look at the console, one thing I get excited about when a new console comes out is how new and different it looks, but it looks like a big roundish Wii.

I've lost touch with the mainstream/state-of-the-art games. So many major Wii games I haven't even looked at. Guess I'll have to wait until Nintendo stops supporting it. Then I just have to get some blank DVDs. :)

The WiiU I rather like, the screencontroller thing is pretty cool IMHO! I just don't really care for the name, though..

A 6% drop, yeah. Seems significant. When the Wii was demoed at E3 2005, it only dropped 3%, and 4% at last years E3 when the 3DS was shown off.

Long story short: when Nintendo makes an announcement, shareholders sell. I don't know why, they just do. In 2005 and 2010 they recovered within a couple of weeks, I don't expect this to be any different. In fact, the only year I can see that Nintendo's price didn't drop at least some following E3 was 2007. What did they do in 2007?

Why's the name worse then XBox or PS#? Particularly given it's trivial to apply all sorts of vulgarity interpretations to either? Given Nintendo put a lot of work into developing the Wii brand, see Mii's for example, there's no really good reason not to maintain and build off that brand. The name succinctly sums up the feature they're emphasizing of it enabling you to operate on your own screen, while retaining brand recognition with the most successful console in this previous generation. They're also continuing the proper console role of offering a fun an unique experience.

That happens to Microsoft all the time. It only means what you're implying if it stays down, otherwise the market jockeys just cashed in when speculation was high running right up to the announcement and thus prices were up.

The stock market is all about making money on stock trades. A significant portion of those stocks aren't new bills, and thus are more along the lines of a very aggressively traded used game market.

There shouldn't be any real changes in profitability until product launch, so why not make a few buck selling high and rebuying at a lower price?

In regards to people not liking the name, Wii U, well it took me and a lot of people a very long time to get used to Wii when it was first announced and to be honest I thought it was one big joke that Nintendo was having on us. Anyway, after a while people will just get used to Wii U's name, just like they did with Wii.

Well, they've got over 6 months to change the name, so here's hoping that they get millions of complaints in their inbox regarding the lazy naming (lazy console case too, as it looks quite bland) of the console.

The Wii was called that in the end because of several reasons, mainly it was easy to pronounce, and the two 'i's represent people, as in multiple people playing together, I had a think today and I suppose Sony havent changed anything in 15 years and MS in 10 years, didn't really think it through, sorry.

Also I'm not a stocks and shares expert, or even an amateur, it just made me laugh hearing they were, for all intents and purposes, worth less having announced a new console.

As for the console case I agree it was lazy, I had an argument with my manager at work about this and the git gave me crap jobs the rest of the day, but still, we have time to see if the name or case changes.

Finally (sorry for the long winded-ness) having seen what they plan to do with the controller, such as placing it on the floor to represent a tee or lie for golf made me think about it a bit more, and apparently being able to turn away from the screen to allow the tv for someone else, and in a baseball demo, catching the ball with the screen by tracking it was a nice touch (although I can see many household items reliving the horror breakages the Wii caused the first time round).

I think that 8GB is actually to do with RAM, not on board flash. As for USB, Wii U has for of them and it has been confirmed that you can use your own external HDD, if you want. Have you watched the vid in my previous post?

Back