Nintendo Switch

You want!??

• Total voters

@Jumpman

If the NS is only moderately or average in terms of success and Nintendo decide to launch a 3DS successor, then that situation has the potential to bring everything down. As some sales for a portable will have been lost to NS sales . Meaning even with a 3DS successor , there may not be enough market left for it to share to be really viable. I can't imagine at all devs splitting between the two either. It would be a confusing scenario indeed

The way I see the NS, is that it's a portable console that's very powerfull but goes against what made the DS line great - portability. As a standard console it's probably going to be under powered.

I think it's success is heavily dependant on adoption as a portable. Because there is nothing really going for it from a pure standard console perspective. From a portable perspective, it would enter a market where it is likely to be the most powerfull handheld by a long way. If it's successful as a handheld, then it may sway enough people to be content with it as a standard console as well .

I really cannot see a situation where a 3DS successor can enter the market except for if the NS completely tanks and sweep it under the rug so to speak.

Last edited:
I noticed a weird thing with the switch usage scenarios. All the examples they have shown don't make any sense to me.
Why would I want to carry my console with me?

Yet, if I approach it from the point of view of the NDS/3DS, would I want to be able to dock those and play them on the TV?
Sure, why not? That's one reason why the Pyra has HDMI out as well.

I'm not quite sure what the difference is, if any. Perhaps it is related to the type of games typically played on console (longer time investment) vs mobile (play for half an hour and continue later).
Yet, somehow this indicates to me that it would work as a 3DS successor and it will fail as a console.

I'm probably one of the few people who like gaming tablets and usually have enough room to stash them in my backpack where I'd carry my GameBoy or Pyra too anyway,
but the great thing about such a system is the backwards compatibility (emulation) and a battery life with a good relation to a big screen (for mobile standards).
That said, I'd still rather get a GPD Q9 or something similar that can in spite of its flaws run the emulation library on a mid sized screen, but I'm still a SNES/GB/GBA/NES/PS1 gamer anyway.
If there'd be something like it with better joysticks/nubs, more efficient standby power management and better storage, I'd rather get it than Nintendo's undoubtedly locked down NS especcially if it only has a battery life of 3 hours which shouldn't be acceptable anymore in a dedicated handheld gaming device since the GameGear.

BTW, here's an article from a few days ago that I completely agree with: http://www.cracked.com/blog/its-finally-obvious-nintendo-doesnE28099t-understand-humans/
And right at the end of his rant he says that he'll get it anyway, wtf? :D

Last edited:
It seems Nintendo tries to fix 3rd party support but forgot about usability.

The 3DS has great 3rd party support while the WiiU is lacking that.
So they try to move these 3rd party developers from their mobile device to the stationary console as well by creating ONE console that does all of that.

However, the gamers who love the 3ds are loving it because of size, robustness and battery life. Certainly not because it has a powerful processor.

Now Nintendo is taking that away: It's too big to be pocketable, probably less robust (no clamshell) and the battery time will be the one of a tablet you play games with... couple of hours, probably.

The GameBoy won against the GameGear and Lynx because it had awesome battery life and was more portable.

The NDS/3DS won against the PSP/Vita because it had a better battery life as well.

They got 3rd party games because the system was selling so well, not because they contracted those 3rd party companies.

So yes, what they're doing is a huge risk in my opinion.
They remove the reasons their mobile gamer customers buy the 3DS but still have an underpowered home console...

And yes, I also never understood why they never added TV Out. The GBA is almost on par with the SNES in terms of graphics, and the games look great on a TV :)

I wonder, if the Switch is successful enough to discontinue Nintendo's handheld line, would it be a wise decision for them to venture into the smartphone market? I mean, looking at the success of Pokémon Go how can they not at least be thinking about going in that direction? I think the time has come for a phone/gaming hybrid. An Xperia Play done the right way if you will.

I mean, looking at the success of Pokémon Go how can they not at least be thinking about going in that direction?
I'm not sure if that game is/was a success. Yeah, they had a ton of players at the beginning, but a lot of people dropped the game due to technical issues and lack/cutting of features. Luckily, that is all Niantic's fault :p If there's one good thing about outsourcing, it's that you can blame them if anything goes wrong.
But since Nintendo already announced mobile spinoffs of their (smaller) IPs, I guess they're checking out if it's (financially) worth the effort to make games for that market :) I hope they're not throwing in too many stupid in-app store traps.

Considering it's literally made hundreds of millions of dollars for both Niantic and Nintendo I'm pretty sure it's a success. People say it's a failure because of how many players have quit, and when you look at the initial number of hundreds of millions of downloads vs the most recent stat of an estimated 10 million daily players in September, yeah, it looks like almost everyone stopped playing it. But WoW only has about 3 million subscriptions, and this is down from almost 12 million 6 years ago, and the number keeps dropping. By logic of "number of players", Pokemon Go is more successful than WoW, but no one is saying that WoW is failing.
Basically I'm saying that it's only been 4 months, Pokemon Go *is* profitable to the tune of an estimated $100 million per month, it *is* still being played by a huge number of people on a daily basis, and at this point in time there is literally nothing to suggest that it's going to die in the immediate future. If you try to make predictions about Nintendo's future by first assuming that Pokemon Go is a failure when it clearly isn't (yet) then you're predictions aren't even going to come close to reality.

It seems Nintendo tries to fix 3rd party support but forgot about usability.

The 3DS has great 3rd party support while the WiiU is lacking that.
So they try to move these 3rd party developers from their mobile device to the stationary console as well by creating ONE console that does all of that.

However, the gamers who love the 3ds are loving it because of size, robustness and battery life. Certainly not because it has a powerful processor.

Now Nintendo is taking that away: It's too big to be pocketable, probably less robust (no clamshell) and the battery time will be the one of a tablet you play games with... couple of hours, probably.

The GameBoy won against the GameGear and Lynx because it had awesome battery life and was more portable.

The NDS/3DS won against the PSP/Vita because it had a better battery life as well.

They got 3rd party games because the system was selling so well, not because they contracted those 3rd party companies.

So yes, what they're doing is a huge risk in my opinion.
They remove the reasons their mobile gamer customers buy the 3DS but still have an underpowered home console...

And yes, I also never understood why they never added TV Out. The GBA is almost on par with the SNES in terms of graphics, and the games look great on a TV :)
I think it will still sell for 2 reasons:
1: It will be the only supported mobile game console on the market after some time. Nintendo will fade out the 3DS gradually, probably still supporting it as a cheap and really portable console while waiting for a Switch Light. Sony will let the Vita die and will leave the mobile console market to Nintendo.
2: A Switch Light will happen maybe 2 years after the initial Switch, marking the end of the 3DS. This 2nd revision will be more portable and with a better battery life because technology will enable Nintendo to achieve this by then. This is when I'll buy one :D

How well it will do before the 2nd revision ? I don't know but I still have a feeling it can find a public. At least those who skipped the WiiU and want to play Zelda at the begining.

I've said that myself in the past, but there is a resolution mismatch. The SNES managed what, 240 lines of graphics, while the GBA displayed only 160 lines - you lose one in three lines (though it is slightly wider, being 3:2 rather than 4:3).

I've said that myself in the past, but there is a resolution mismatch. The SNES managed what, 240 lines of graphics, while the GBA displayed only 160 lines - you lose one in three lines (though it is slightly wider, being 3:2 rather than 4:3).

I know, and?
The SNES also doesn't display a 4:3 screen. There are ALWAYS black bars around the gaming screen.

I thought that was a PAL SNES thing. Do NTSC SNESes also show black bars?

The GBA was great for having SNES style games in your pocket. Just I wouldn't call only two out of three lines 'almost on par', but maybe that's just me ;)

Yeah, I thought the GBA games looked great on small screen, but once that image is enlarged, it no longer looks as nice(at least to me).

Chris

Yepp, the GB Micro got a great Display:)
Thanks to the GBA Everdrive, im currently play a lot whit it..
Even if my Pandora can play GBA Games..

I hope the Switch will be success because I want one :)
And I hope they bring Skyrim on it, ditnt played it yet,
But portable on the Switch, it will be pretty awesome :)

The latest is that it may be able to project images onto ones hand. Catch a virtual ball and throw it back into the screen etc and more

or i could go throw an actual ball with someone... (or a dog, if i had one, and didn't bring the NX :))

i just really appreciate the haptic feedback that goes along with that experience. and i get at least 1080p on a really big screen :D

Thie Switch would be compelling if the dock actually has got more processing power, ram and maybe storage. I remember when Nviidia showed the following board with two next gen Tegra SOCs. Perhaps that was a prelude to more than just an auto implementation. http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-gpu-drive-px-2/

I could see that scenario working, at least then it would be a very powerfull offering as a console or as a portable. I could see devs producing games that are 720p lower speced for use on the portable and also a higher spec mode for the console.

It actually becomes good if they actually end up doing this.

Last edited:
Back