Nintendo Switch

You want!??

• Total voters

Okay, I had a gameboy back in 1989...they did push the envelope THEN. They came out with the Snes the next year, then NOTHING. They had to compete later with Sega, Atari, Sony, then later MicrosuX (in 2001). For all intents and purposes, Nintendo's gaming machines since 1990 have been under-powered when compared to their competitors. The PSP was far more advanced than the DS. The Playstation was also generations ahead of a Wii.
For all intents and purposes consoles have pretty consistently been 5 years or more behind Enthusiast Computer technology. So by your own logic who cares about consoles, period?

Console Elitism over hardware is inane. Doubly so when you recognize that Nintendo rather consistently has demonstrated the capacity to make their games look good and play at 60 fps. Meanwhile in the Console generations where a serious claim could be made of Nintendo lacking processing power Sony and Microsoft's platforms were riddled with issues associated with games running poorly with graphical artifacts, and generally being horrid due to overleveraging hardware. So I'm sorry but your premise doesn't even begin to parse.

Last edited:
Well, I think the Switch will do well. Pretty much it will be the most powerful handheld gaming console on the market (if the X1or X2 SOC rumors are true). That in itself will propel it into enough hands to be profitable. Console level games on a handheld, people will flock to it. The added bonus is that a number of people will also be happy to use it as a standard console (in docked mode).. It's a double play by Nintendo with the carrot being the powerful portable console aspect.

If price rumors hold true, it will be a hot seller. ie $200-$260

The only question is battery life. That may make or break it.

I think as I mentioned before, this really is curtains for the DS line. Sad , because I liked the clamshell pocketable form factor. But that's not to take anything away form the Switch

Last edited:
I like the idea with the simple dock that still increases the Switch performance through a simple Fan which brings more cooling through the docked mobile unit. We should borrow this idea for an possible Pyra docking station.
It's also impressive what compared powerful hardware they were able to put into that small thingy. Is the used GFX Chip available on the free market?

Well, I think the Switch will do well. Pretty much it will be the most powerful handheld gaming console on the market (if the X1or X2 SOC rumors are true). That in itself will propel it into enough hands to be profitable. Console level games on a handheld, people will flock to it. The added bonus is that a number of people will also be happy to use it as a standard console (in docked mode).. It's a double play by Nintendo with the carrot being the powerful portable console aspect.
I'm one of those that doesn't really care about the power of consoles, especially Nintendo ones. If they port their wiiu backcatalogue (well, at least splatoon), and release an F-Zero or a pilotwings game on it, I'll seriously think about getting one.
I think as I mentioned before, this really is curtains for the DS line. Sad , because I liked the clamshell pocketable form factor. But that's not to take anything away form the Switch
Well, the 3DS launched in 2011, so five-six years is plenty lifespan for a handheld console. I guess people who bought the New 3DS might feel a little shortchanged, but that's been the way of Nintendo handhelds since at least the GBA micro - you buy one mainly to play the back catalogue, not anything much new.

I'm one of those that doesn't really care about the power of consoles, especially Nintendo ones. If they port their wiiu backcatalogue (well, at least splatoon), and release an F-Zero or a pilotwings game on it, I'll seriously think about getting one.

Well, the 3DS launched in 2011, so five-six years is plenty lifespan for a handheld console. I guess people who bought the New 3DS might feel a little shortchanged, but that's been the way of Nintendo handhelds since at least the GBA micro - you buy one mainly to play the back catalogue, not anything much new.

Yeah, but I'm not referring to the 3DS, I'm referring to the the DS line starting with the DS. It's pretty clear to me that at the price rumored - if true, it wont't leave room for a clam shell handheld or any other handheld. The switch will be it. That's not to put the Switch down, it should be great to be able to play console level games on a handheld . Just a little sad to see the end (for now) of Nintendo pocketables

I just wish they would create some fresh new franchises instead of rehashing their standard ones over and over again.

Sadly, financially they are past that point. Splatoon was new, but now that will be a part of the regular cycle of new and improved every few years. New IP's is a fine line to walk, but when money is flowing well, they are more likely to do new things. If something doesn't work out, there are other titles covering the loss. Since the Wii U came along, and the Wii well has gone dry, they need every title to work, and they don't look interested in gambling much anymore. Even the Mario RUN is a pretty sure thing, and that's what they are doing now. And yes, Mario Run is new, but far from a new idea.

well, if history has anything to tell us, N will happily sell you old games for new money :D

Yeah, this has been their main business model for as long as I can remember. How or why consumers keep paying them for the same games, some of which are 20-30 years old, is beyond my comprehension. And the quality of those VC games is beyond a joke. Dull and washed out faded games for $8-10 dollars, WTF!? I wouldn't pay .99 for any of those titles, with the obvious lack of quality.

Chris

It's also impressive what compared powerful hardware they were able to put into that small thingy. Is the used GFX Chip available on the free market?
The specific nVidia chip is confirmed to be semi-custom so strictly speaking no.

In principle it should be either TSMC 16nm FinFET or Samsung 14nm FinFET, as the 20nm node was widely skipped for good reasons, meaning it should offer more than the 20nm Tegra X1. It is basically confirmed though that we're looking at between 256 to 512 CUDA cores with semi-custom tweaks and an ARMv8 big core quad either based off the A57 or A72.

In desktop terms that's a GTX 470 equivalent, or better, with something analogous to a laptop quad of the 470's era.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_APX_2500#Tegra_P1.2C_Pascal_based_.28Upcoming.29

Maybe they will release a clip on battery pack that will serve as a clamshell screen protector that protects the attached joy cons at the same time?

How do they expect us to transport it safely in portable mode?

Sent from my GT-S7580 using Tapatalk

Maybe they will release a clip on battery pack that will serve as a clamshell screen protector that protects the attached joy cons at the same time?

How do they expect us to transport it safely in portable mode?

I'm sure they'll offer a carry case or something, for an extra $20-30, but I really don't think they are really pushing this as a portable. I believe they are hoping this can fill the void they have been missing out one in regards to tablets and other devices that can be carried around, but are also usable anywhere within the home or out.

Sadly, I don't see that market cairing for this, and for the kids under 10, I don't see parents buying this due to it not being really portable, or the expense of it all. My son loves "N", and he has a 2DS & N3DS, and we only allow him to take the 2DS out, as it is easier to replace if damaged. He wants a NS of course, but next Christmas is as soon as I would get him one, and it's never leaving the house, period.

Most consumers I think are going to be happy buying a $100 tablet, and some free or .99 cent games for their child, instead of a $250-$350 device that requires expensive attachments and other expenses like $10-$50 games and whatever else.

I guess the best feature of the NS is that it is a home console, that can also be used away from the television, but it's trying to fill a "need" that I don't think anyone wants or needs. If this would have been the Wii U 5 years ago, it would have done well, noew I just don't see it. Once again, they are late to the party with an old concept and idea that has been done for ages now.

I'm a HUGE handheld fan, and have been since the game & watch days. Out of all my friends, I'm really the only one who still games on portables, everyone else is just about consoles and online to play games together and compete online. And when that's not happening, there playing a single player game on a HUGE 4K TV with no desire to play an HD game on a small tablet.

Then you have the market that wants something small, compact, and cheap, which has been the only market they have really always excelled in, and now while they say they aren't leaving the full on portable market, they are offering a gimped console to offer portability, in an attempt to sale to who? I don't think this will still capture any of the PS4/ONE market, and I don't really see it selling as well as the DS line, so it seems like a device with no real home, but I guess time will tell.

Chris

Last edited:
There is even a Carry Case for the Mini NES, so I think it should also be made a Case for the Switch..
I dotnt know how big the Tablet is, but it will need some protection when I put it in my backpack..

The only complication with designing a carry case for this would be should it carry the tablet alone or the tablet plus the little half-controllers. I guess the proliferation of companies that produce bags and so on for their handhelds will come up with various offers to cover most bases though.

Sorry, but this is a ridiculous statement...
Nintendo is in fact the ONLY console maker which still innovates.
The incremental hardware updates which Sony and Microsoft do with their consoles can hardly be called innovation.
So Nintendo finally announces production of a powerful handheld right around the time that I'm bagging on them? Good. I was right for a few hours and theeeeen wrong.

Also, you will disagree with me regarding their tech and games. You've already intimated at it. Nintendo to me, NOW, is just a company that lives off of Mario. Side-scrollers. I haven't been interested in Nintendo since the 90's. Maybe they DO(?) innovate.... I would say that they try.
[doublepost=1481437715,1481437612][/doublepost]
Breath of the Wild running on the Switch skip to 4.55..

What a farce. A Nintendo paid infomercial.

All talk shows are adverising at their core. Were you expecting something else?

Yeah, the only reason anyone goes on those shows is for promotion purposes(new movie, album, TV, etc). It's not like anyone is going on their to hang out with those lame as host/hostesses.

Chris

space-ghost.jpg

Back