Nintendo Switch

You want!??

• Total voters

but I would bet the farm that the battery is 2-3 hours
And that's fine, you can make that statement as an opinion, all I'm saying is that absolutely none of the arguments you've provided at any point make a case for what will definitely be.

"N" refuses to let go of this group gaming in the same room mentality. The friends I grew up with gaming, haven't been together once in the same room for 20+ years, and my current friends who live locally, enjoy playing PS4/ONE games online with each other on 60"+ size TV screens(that truly show off the HD gaming).

Forgive me for my ignorance, but isn't the entire point of a games console, attached to a TV (the family-available screen of the home), the capacity for local, real-time, multiplayer? Aside from local multiplayer, what is there that a console does better than a desktop for laptop computer (optionally with a gamepad), that the user would usually care about? Without local multiplayer, why own a console rather than (or in addition to) a real computer?

As a child, I had no consoles (aside from an original GameBoy), but was directed to use the family PC (I suppose that we were short of money). I only ever saw consoles at friends' houses, at lunch time or after school, either watching someone play a Final Fantasy game or GTA game or watching or playing in local multiplayer (Goldeneye 007, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Soul Calibur, Hogs of War, Tekken...). The only other major difference I noted was the lack of an installation procedure -- place disc or cartridge, perhaps wait for the game to load, and then play. My latter experience, playing on a borrowed PS3, showed that the "no installation" advantage is totally gone, as each of the games I tried required (I do not remember any option to refuse) updates, taking several hours to download from the internet -- with the console being essentially useless in the mean time. I was not impressed.

Aside from "exclusives" (i.e. anti-consumer behaviour) and anti-piracy (built-in DRM, no personal archiving, i.e. anti-consumer behaviour), and local multiplayer, what is the point of a games console? Why not use a real computer?

I am slightly interested in this.
But only slightly. I would only be using it in it's handheld format, and wouldn't be playing any kind of multiplayer... so I'm wondering if it's worth it.

I like that it has cartridges... does that mean I won't have to download and store games on the device? I hope so.

Battery life is a big concern. I would be highly unimpressed with a mere 2 hours of gameplay.
Replaceable battery? Doesn't look like it... ability to run off an external battery pack?

If the device is meant to live in the dock to keep it topped up... could be the deal breaker. I don't want the dock. I don't own a TV.

Regarding the supposed stylus slot, right in the middle at the bottom edge is a place Nintendo have never seen fit to put a stylus slot before.

Actually, the N3DS has the stylus exactly there-ish.

J074yIC.jpg

Every revision of Nintendo's machines has moved the stylus port, so it could actually be anywhere. I have 3 3DSs and a 2DS and each of their stylus ports are in completely different positions.

Anyway, it's just a theory. We don't even know if this is the final casing for the machine - the Wii and WiiU went through a number of revisions after they were first shown (admittedly not this late in the day). Even if that isn't a stylus slot, I still expect the Switch to have a touchscreen - resistive or capacitive.

Last edited:
Nintendo doesn't deserve theorisation about their products.
They should deliver facts instead of trying to create some mystery hype.

As I've said before, they should have gone back to the roots and make a true successor to the SNES when it comes to functionality and game design,
unfortunately they've dived even deeper into their later habits.
Too bad, since when "A Link Between Worlds" came out, I thought there actually might be a will to do so.

Nintendo doesn't deserve theorisation about their products.
They should deliver facts instead of trying to create some mystery hype.

As I've said before, they should have gone back to the roots and make a true successor to the SNES when it comes to functionality and game design,
Too bad, since when "A Link Between Worlds" came out, I thought there actually might be a will to do so.

Honestly, a follow up to the SNES would be killer. Just a Kick-Ass gaming console that is the latest tech, one cool designed controller, and call it a day.

This Switch idea seems nothing more to me, than what the Wii U should have been, but it is still pretty much that console. The only difference is the screen can now be removed from the home. But as others have stated, more than likely, most will only use this inside due to it's size, so it really is nothing more than the last system(new "slim" version). My biggest issue with the Wii U, was how big and cumbersome the tablet was, and now that has been fixed. Sadly, for all the Wii U buyers out there who got little to no games, and empty promises for 5 years, now you can do it all over again, with another $300+ purchase and more promises.

This is really "N" at their best, having an idea they see as correct, and forcing on the consumer. If this would have been the Wii U 5 years ago, they would have killed it, but now, they are delivering an idea and concept that is really 4-5 years old. I always said, if they would have been more forward thinking, they would have made the 3DS to function as the Vita does, and it could have allowed for off screen play with the Wii U. Then that system could have been better, cheaper, and included a standard controller. Then when the 3DS got to HUGE sales numbers as every handheld they ever made has, they would have had a built in market to go along with the now powerful Wii U, and things could have been different.

Sadly, at the time, that may have required them to take a loss on systems, and since that goes against all they stand for, it would have never happened even in the best of cases. The Switch really needs to be under $200 and have killer support to get off the ground, and since they live by making a profit on each system sold, I really don't see that happening.

Here they are, making everyone believe they had some idea that was going to turn the industry on it's ear, and it's a decent tablet with removable controls, something I've seen tons of versions of over the last several years. I can't believe they actually thought someone would steal this idea, as that was the mantra of the last 6 months on why they didn't show it yet. No one was going to steal this idea, as it's already been done.

I hope I don't offend anyone here with this statement, but Iwata really was clueless. "N" has needed major change for at least 10+ years, and they keep going by the same business model of 30 years ago, just stop it already. Yes, we all love your great franchises of decades gone by, but I no longer even play most of their released games, as they are just lazy new revisions of the same games from the last gen. 2D Mario is the same game on the DS, as it is on the Wii U, and is pretty much the same formula of Super Mario Bros from the NES. While I do have do have a Wii U in my home it is my son's, so the Wii U was the first home console ever by "N" that I did not purchase. I still may get one, but I'm still waiting on a $200 and under price on the 32GB model.

This company really no longer innovates in games much anymore, yeah Splatoon was a cool idea and a good new IP, but just a different take on popular shooters, and a lesser version without voice chat. They continue to try and innovate in hardware, and all it does is gimp the device, run cost up, and no one cares in the end. Then they take good games of the past, and completely **** them over, like Star Fox with so called innovations.

I really do wish "N" well, but as time goes by, the more I realize they just aren't up to the task. The Switch really does appear to me as another cash grab, as they hoped for with the Wii U. They are hoping it takes off, and they can sale tons of Joy Cons, as they did with Wiimotes/Nunchucks. Instead of showing new killer titles at their reveal, they show hardware. Hardware doesn't sale hardware, software sales hardware, and to finally have a reveal and show only updated Wii U titles, and a new Mario game that is probably years away, what was the point? I'm seeing the same things here as I've seen before, nothing new under the sun, sadly.

Chris

Yep, a tablet with controls, how innovative...
This company really no longer innovates in games much anymore, yeah Splatoon was a cool idea and a good new IP, but just a different take on popular shooters, and a lesser version without voice chat.
I always thought of Splatoon as a kind of "De Blob"-clone.

just seen the video !! Pretty impressive !!

But I wonder how robust could be a design like this, maybe after a month the side controllers will start to feel badly attached...

I like the idea of single/dual controller

Well, it could work. Yes, not for people who grew up with Nintendo (like most of us here) but for new kids.

The split controllers might not be too comfortable, but most kids today are used to smartphone gaming so they'll find them great.

And think about school time... imagine having a Switch with you and playing Mario Kart or similar with a few friends.
It easily fits your school bag. I certainly would've loved it.

Sure, these days, that multiplayer mobility doesn't make sense for me, but I guess school hasn't changed much, so that would be great.

Here's an interesting article (all speculation of course) with regards to the dock. Cooling is mentioned as is extra processing power. Who knows. Nintendo certainly isn't saying and have stated that they won't be talking about the Switch again this year. :(

Here's an interesting article (all speculation of course) with regards to the dock. Cooling is mentioned as is extra processing power. Who knows. Nintendo certainly isn't saying and have stated that they won't be talking about the Switch again this year. :(

Yeah, like I said, this is them keeping interest high, and not letting the balloon burst before release, which for them is key, but the truth will be exposed eventually, so all they are doing is delaying the inevitable.

So many of their past system where shown with just a few great games, and that was all it took. The same could be said for trade shows, but now they are playing "games", by trying to manipulate information, and keep things under wraps so interest will stay high. In the end, the lack of games or a high launch price will still keep this from selling, so all they are doing is showing me how desperate they are.

What the hell happened to games being the focus of a new console, and not "gimmicks"? This thing could make toast, and wash your car, but without great games, and a competitive price, it's all just smoke and mirrors.

Chris

They already have; I bought a GBA primarily because it could play near SNES ports and fit in my pocket at the same time. That was quite the upgrade.

Makes me nervous not knowing if Nintendo will or wont launch a 3DS replacement. One of the best things about it it that it's pocketable. The Switch is not.

I pretty much take my 3DS everywhere with me. Got to get that next SpotPass hit or build up those coins. If these features are no longer supported in future Nintendo devices, I really will miss them. I've played the SpotPass games more than ANY other game ever - albeit only 5-20minutes twice every single day. Over the course of five years that's a LOT of playtime. Even more than Animal Crossing!

I do hope that the Switch is the WiiU replacement and a true portable will replace the 3DS in the near future. The 3DS really is looking long in the tooth nowadays. Just make sure it has SpotPass etc. :p

BTW, rumors have it that the Switches screen is multi touch and 720p. Insiders are still saying it has extra processing power in the dock. Possibly only 3 hours battery life. All rumors of course

I stand by what I said before, the Nintendo Switch is just a gaming tablet like we have seen on the market for many years now - and there are many models of such. Some with detachable controllers (morphus x300 and 3rd party like Ipega 9023 etc etc) , some not. . The Nintendo Switch is nothing more than a Shield Tablet 2 with a split detachable controller. Remember in the past people used the Shield tablet with an Ipega 9023 detachable controller. This is just an update to that with the Nintendo eco system on it. Problem here, is that gaming tablets have never made it to mainstream, they never got past second level almost niche gaming in regards to adoption. Nintendo have taken a huge gamble in guessing that it can go mainstream adoption with a gaming tablet.

One wildcard that's not been talked about much, is whether the Switch will have Android on it so that it can be used as a normal Android Tablet. This to me would have to happen to give it a real chance of success. It really needs cross market adoption. People looking at a high end small tablet &or game console &or handheld console.

Rumor mill:

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/10/a-deep-dive-on-lpvgs-nintendo-switch-reports-and-info/
https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/09/02/rumor-what-should-we-expect-from-the-final-nx-product/

Last edited:
Sadly, a gaming tablet is exactly what the Wii U was. It was a rather poor one, but it was still a tablet with physical controls. Why they are going down that same road, I do not understand.

Chris

Nintendo are also taking a huge gamble in another way. They have been a two console - standard and handheld business . The Switch is likely to affect that balance drastically.

Scenarios:

1) The Switch could do really well . From what I've read, Nintendo are looking at how it goes before deciding on a 3DS update. So if it does well and particularly people are using it for mobile gaming, then It's curtains for a 3DS update and for the clamshell

2) The Switch could fail, and a 3DS update comes out. And were back to where we are now with the Wii U and 3DS. Only with the Poorly sold Switch and 3DS update

3) The Switch does middle of the road and an 3DS update is launched. But neither do well as they eat into each others market.

4) The Switch does middle of the road, and a 3DS update doesn't come out. Not good either.

The way I see it

the Switch succeeds and there is no 3DS update - bad for people who like pocketable and truelly mobile gaming

the switch fails or does middle of the road - either one leads to a poor scenario for Nintendo

The WiiU was just a tablet receiver though - you couldn't take it on a plane with you and continue to play (while the battery lasted).

I must admit, I'd kind of assumed the tablet was 720p and the dock contained a replacement GPU (or more cooling) so that it could render the same assets at 1080p for TV output. But Nintendo's assertions that the dock was just for charging and TV out contradicts that, if you take it as face value. 720p TV out would be a downgrade on the WiiU as far as I'm aware, although maybe it's like the Pyra that can apparently show 720p graphics on its own screen, but happily render 1080p to the TV via its HDMI port.

Yup not seeing anything innovative displayed in the video. Odd. It may well be more innovative than it ostensibly seems; maybe.
However you would not know that from the video. Its forced too, the depictions of adults playing in public with an oversized tablet.

Kids, yes. Adults, no, or highly unlikely. Not a convincing first volley. They need to excite consumers and this fails in these regards.

Still I want to know more.

Back