Nintendo Switch

You want!??

• Total voters

Did the crap begin when Yamauchi passed away? Is it somewhat Iwata's doing?
Iwata was already responsible for the Gamecube :)
Was something wrong with the Gamecube?
Not really, but it sold well below what they hoped and thought it would.

EDIT: Well, now that I have thought more about it, yeah, there was several things wrong with the Gamecube actually. This was another system where "N" gives the HUGE middle finger to 3rd parties(yet again). First they pissed off everyone with the cartridge over CD issues of the N64. Then, once again in true "N" fashion, they make a system with mini CD's, that don't hold as much as the standard CD. So while the industry is moving one way, "N" has to go their own way no matter what. I also understand it was to combat piracy, but once again, "N" does something that benefits them, but no one else.

I've seen this dopey process to many times to count. A perfect recent example is Splatoon. Here is a new IP, that can maybe be a start of a long running franchise, and "N" comes up with every crap excuses on the planet as to why they don't have voice chat in the game. Yeah, I understand not everyone likes listening to others play, but every game has an option to shut it off. I also understand they want to protect the children, but come on, "N" has the most high level parental controls EVER. Hell, I can't even watch a Youtube video on my sons WiiU and for the life of me, I can't figure out why not. 

So when it's all said and done, they are doing the same crap today, as they where doing 20 years ago.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer carts over discs.  Mainly due to durability, and nostalgia (I grew up with NES in my neighborhood, and 2600 when I went to visit family).  In fact, I just had a conversation a few minutes ago when asked about SSB Melee.  We probably put it somewhere to keep it safe and can't find it.  All my decades old carts just get tossed around.  I am careful with them, but not as careful as I am with my PS, PS2, GC, Wii, Wii U and PC games.

I don't consider myself a fanboy (I will get back to this), but the Gamecube was the first Nintendo console I wasn't really interested in and excited about.  Part of that was that it came out at the beginning of my decline in video game time.  I never bought a Gamecube for myself.  I got a PS2 so that I could finally play my PS games on my own hardware, and for a couple games that I have long forgotten...also for movies, I think.  Even though I am ok with it now, the controller seemed wrong to me at the time.  It looked like they wanted to do something different than what Sony had, but with most of the same functionality.  The N64 controller is weird too, but it didn't feel like they were trying to hide that they were borrowing someone else's idea.  I don't really have a mind for business, and I wasn't following their console stuff at the time, so I don't really know what else went wrong there beyond what Jumpman said.

I don't consider myself a fanboy, but I don't really know what is considered a fanboy other than a seeming belief that a company can do no wrong, and being super into whatever they release because they are associated with it, and it has their name on it.  I am a Nintendo fan, no doubt, but they do a lot of really stupid stuff, and many things that leave me wondering why.  Somewhat recently these have included the DSi, the New 3DS and some decisions for the Wii U (not the least of which is the name...and all of the DS/Wii names are getting a bit silly, although I do think "3DS" was rather clever), like whatever they call the controller with a screen built in (although it is nice that we can use the TV while someone is playing a game) and some decisions related to games, software, etc.  I think buying a game without getting a physical copy should cost less.  I wish they would stop wasting time and effort on revamping and rereleasing old stuff, and give us new titles instead.  The rereleases seem to work for them, but I get tired of buying the same game multiple times for someone that MUST HAVE every Zelda game in any form for everything it was released on (for Nintendo hardware...those other ones seem to be shunned).  I am sure most of us would rather have a completely new game.  It would have been nice if NOA hadn't decided to give up on Club Nintendo.  

So, yeah, I don't consider myself a fanboy, but others might.

Then, once again in true "N" fashion, they make a system with mini CD's, that don't hold as much as the standard CD.
 They actually hold more memory than a regular full sized CD (1.5GB ) however they hold less than a DVD so I suppose that part is correct. 

It may be my love of Metroid Prime series, or the fact that I work in the semiconductor fab were the Gamecube processor was designed and manufactured and I actually had a small role to help deliver these processors to Nintendo back in the day. So maybe I have a little pride in that little cube.

(NGC discs are pretty much Mini-DVDs, the optical reader can read miniDVD/DVD media with a firmware mod in RAM that goes around the special formatting)

Then, once again in true "N" fashion, they make a system with mini CD's, that don't hold as much as the standard CD.
 They actually hold more memory than a regular full sized CD (1.5GB ) however they hold less than a DVD so I suppose that part is correct. 
You are correct, I should have explained better. So while they finally moved to CD, everyone else was going DVD.

Don't get me wrong, I adored the GC. I owned a Panasonic Q, which was modded to play imports, and to this day is one of my all time favorite systems(sadly I sold it years ago). RE4 and Prime are 2 of my top 10 all time greats. But the GC along side the PS2 was just lacking the HUGE library of games they offered.

Most of the great 3rd parties who jumped ship during the N64/PS1 days, saw no reason to leave Sony, when they where doing everything right, and "N" was doing their own thing as usual.

Chris

But times have changed. These days sony and ms have nothing positive to offer to gaming. Nintendo still sells off first party games, and everything else should be played on pc. We as gamers would miss very little if playstation and xbox died off, and would lose so much if nintendo called it quits.

While sitting here just now going through the 3DS e-shop, I'm reminded of another of "N" greatest additions to gaming of the last few years...........Adding a limited number of uses, to an already limited "Demo", are these guys for F*****G for real? This has to be the dumbest shit I've ever seen.

A demo by nature is limited, to one level, one stage, or a certain segment of the game in question. This is where "N" has to do their own thing, like there was something absolutely wrong with the way demo's have worked in the past. Did anyone find Demo's broke before "N" stepped in and gave us limits? 

You download a demo, try it out, and if you like it, you buy, if you don't, you won't. What does limiting the demo do? Now I have to plan in my playing of it, so I don't run out of uses before I have finished the demo in question.

Yes, I've heard all the arguments of how, no one who truly likes the demo, needs more than 30 try's(some only have 5), but why limit a limited item to begin with, this is what I'm talking about when I say how "broken" Nintendo really is. This adds NOTHING to the process of playing a demo, except to piss people off. If a guys wants to run through one segment of RE: Revelations 101 times, who the **** cares? End Rant!

But times have changed. These days sony and ms have nothing positive to offer to gaming. Nintendo still sells off first party games, and everything else should be played on pc. We as gamers would miss very little if playstation and xbox died off, and would lose so much if nintendo called it quits.
Honestly, most of "N" big games lately I could care less about. Their 2D Mario games have been bested IMO by Rayman Origins/Legends. Mario Kart is really weak in general, as it does nothing but add a new coat of paint. I really see "N" doing nothing different from MS and Sony except for complaining and making excuses why this or that can't be done, or why this game fails, or why they can't do something.

At least MS and Sony have 3rd party support, so even if they make no 1st party titles, they have an industry supplying content. If "N" releases no games, which any good ones take years, then nothing is coming out over months at a time.

Really the only first party "N" games I still look forward to are 3D Mario and Zelda, and how often do we see those games? I think most of "N" best efforts have been bested by other games from other publishers.

Chris

Honestly, most of "N" big games lately I could care less about. Their 2D Mario games have been bested IMO by Rayman Origins/Legends. Mario Kart is really weak in general, as it does nothing but add a new coat of paint. I really see "N" doing nothing different from MS and Sony except for complaining and making excuses why this or that can't be done, or why this game fails, or why they can't do something.
Agree with you, but it seems like people still love buying the same games over and over again. Mario Kart still sells by the trillions with very little innovation in each title :)  

Nintendo has at least a niche market that nobody can touch: it's a "safe" console for parents who want their small kids to play games. Not sure if that's really the market they want to be in the end, but maybe there will be only that left for them several years down the road.

It may be my love of Metroid Prime series, or the fact that I work in the semiconductor fab were the Gamecube processor was designed and manufactured and I actually had a small role to help deliver these processors to Nintendo back in the day. So maybe I have a little pride in that little cube.
I love little connections like that, and have a few of my own I could claim.  What you are saying is that you played a part in getting the Gamecube to me?  Maybe I will pick up another instead of using my Wii for Gamecube games.

Maybe I will pick up another instead of using my Wii for Gamecube games.
 Well the Wii, Wii-U, PS3 and Xbox 360 as well. I was just a little more involved with the Gamecube as I know I directly handled a lot of the silicon wafers for it as the wafers were directly fabricated at my work site. The other game systems were manufactured in another FAB, just tested where I work. 

Microsoft and Sony decided to go with an Intel Solution in their current gen systems, so can't claim those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with you, but it seems like people still love buying the same games over and over again. Mario Kart still sells by the trillions with very little innovation in each title :)

Nintendo has at least a niche market that nobody can touch: it's a "safe" console for parents who want their small kids to play games. Not sure if that's really the market they want to be in the end, but maybe there will be only that left for them several years down the road.
They have their fanbase no doubt. With the exception of the Wii, everyone of their home consoles has been selling less than the previous generation since the NES(NES>SNES>N64>GameCube>WiiU>?). All they seem to have is the diehards, as I don't believe any of their go to games ever expands that market really.

They seem happy to just keep treading water, as they refuse to do anything that might actually bring any Sony or MS fans in to the fold. They always say how they aren't in competition with those companies, so they won't make choices based on what they are doing, but that is business 101. "N" should be in the business of selling the most systems and games possible, and if Sony and MS offer something that the public admires, roll with it.

Sadly, this goes back to the inward mentality, and how they can never give anyone else credit, and it's pushing them right out of business. Limits on Demo's is what their thinking has become, and only goes to show how far out of touch they truly are.

They seem more than happy to keep selling to fans who buy the same games over and over, but that well will go dry someday. I've been a fan for 30+ years(since DK hit US shores), have owned most systems at launch, imported several others, own 2 coin-ops, even Jumpman is a "N" reference, and even I have grown tired of the BS. There are so many great games coming out of everywhere all the time, my backlog is so HUGE, if "N" went out of business tomorrow, my life wouldn't change. Honestly, I play more classic "N" currently, than I do new games, as they release new stuff so slowly, I find the classics more enjoyable more of the time.

Chris

Maybe I will pick up another instead of using my Wii for Gamecube games.
 Well the Wii, Wii-U, PS3 and Xbox 360 as well. I was just a little more involved with the Gamecube as I know I directly handled a lot of the silicon wafers for it as the wafers were directly fabricated at my work site. The other game systems were manufactured in another FAB, just tested where I work. 

Microsoft and Sony decided to go with an Intel Solution in their current gen systems, so can't claim those.
Heh, that's pretty cool. I once met Jim Khale who worked on PowerPC line used for Nintendo Gamecube, Wii, Xbox 360 etc. He gave a lecture and spoke about the Cell design and working with Sony. It was cool as I was the only one with a game developer background (I now work for a Bank) and we hung out at the hotel afterwards for a couple of drinks and he had a few seconds lambasting the IBM account management team for letting the switch of Apple from PowerPC to Intel happen. Cool guy.

Heh, that's pretty cool. I once met Jim Khale who worked on PowerPC line used for Nintendo Gamecube, Wii, Xbox 360 etc. He gave a lecture and spoke about the Cell design and working with Sony. It was cool as I was the only one with a game developer background (I now work for a Bank) and we hung out at the hotel afterwards for a couple of drinks and he had a few seconds lambasting the IBM account management team for letting the switch of Apple from PowerPC to Intel happen. Cool guy.
Ah yes he is one of the IBM Fellows in the Austin, TX Research group. I had a much more direct handling the product role, As before I got into my current  Engineering technician position I was just a regular Manufacturing employee that did very mundane things.  

Back