Nintendo Switch

You want!??

• Total voters

I also agree, people do for whatever reason kinda giggle when they see a man playing a DS over here in public. Not really sure why.
They never giggled close enough for me to hear, but this would be far from the most seemingly strange or silly thing I do (strange/silly to others, it all makes sense to me).  I have even played DS (and GBA, with cables for Bomberman and such a little over a decade ago*) games with other adult human males in public, and there may be a video online where I was doing that.  The people that were around and places where we played may have had an impact (not typical "general public" or even "nerds", but actually amongst those that are sometimes perceived as overly macho or something...some of us never fit that stereotype, myself included, and were/are pretty nerdy).

*Steve Wozniak loves Tetris on Game Boy.  I do too, and dream of being able to play him.  I remember an interview with him where he said that he used to go to concerts and play it, and also that he gave a Game Boy to, I think, the first President Bush, and his Russian counterpart, and later saw the President playing it on the news or something.  I know my father and a bunch of other men were playing Game Boys back then.  Just before the turn of the century I started using my father's since my original one lost the screen cover, and it sucked trying to play some games on my Game Boy Color due to how hard the screen was to see under certain lighting conditions.  That reminds me, I need to get one of my Colors frontlit by someone with the required stuff, patience, and a steadier hand and more confidence than I have.  Maybe my GBA, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I regularly play my GameBoy ADVANCE SP out in public. Mostly on the train and bus.
I'm not saying it's not. I'm just saying what others think. 

I really could give **** all what others think about what I do lol. I'm just saying from a general perspective.

For better or worse, I stopped caring what most others thought long ago.  It seems Nintendo is the same way, and I still like a lot of the stuff they release (but I want more NEW Metroid).

For better or worse, I stopped caring what most others thought long ago.  It seems Nintendo is the same way.
This is the exact reason why they have been posting losses since the Wii left the market. And why the have just finally returned to making profits, although rather small in comparison to what they are used to. If all they want to do is tread water, then they are doing more than enough to make sure they continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

If they ever want to return to HUGE profits, they better start caring what others think, as their own thoughts aren't getting the job done, and haven't for a very long time.

Chris

I regularly play my GameBoy ADVANCE SP out in public. Mostly on the train and bus.
I'm not saying it's not. I'm just saying what others think. I really could give **** all what others think about what I do lol. I'm just saying from a general perspective.
All good mate~ Strangely enough it's the only one I'm not shy to whip out in public because it's small and attractive.

I'm not saying it's not. I'm just saying what others think. 
I really could give **** all what others think about what I do lol. I'm just saying from a general perspective.
All good mate~ Strangely enough it's the only one I'm not shy to whip out in public because it's small and attractive.
The thing Is I feel proud to pull out my Pandora, i'm not sure why. It just feels so much more professional feeling and looking. 

People ALWAYS ask me question, The problem is trying to tell them what it is (They don't understand Open Source Linux Handheld with a Ti Cortex A8 Microprocessor with 512MB RAM.).

The thing Is I feel proud to pull out my Pandora, i'm not sure why. It just feels so much more professional feeling and looking. 

People ALWAYS ask me question, The problem is trying to tell them what it is (They don't understand Open Source Linux Handheld with a Ti Cortex A8 Microprocessor with 512MB RAM.).

Its a really really small MacBook

Its a really really small MacBook
I bet it's not as small as this -

https://www.youtube.com/embed/BGGOn-H7s3Q?feature=oembed

BTW this is als the solution to the Pyra keyboard problem.

For better or worse, I stopped caring what most others thought long ago.  It seems Nintendo is the same way.
This is the exact reason why they have been posting losses since the Wii left the market. And why the have just finally returned to making profits, although rather small in comparison to what they are used to. If all they want to do is tread water, then they are doing more than enough to make sure they continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

If they ever want to return to HUGE profits, they better start caring what others think, as their own thoughts aren't getting the job done, and haven't for a very long time.

Chris
I had more to say about this and in response, but I will limit it to this: please don't use my comments that are intended to show support of those who are trying things their own way to attack them.

Ok, then...(be careful with that excuse) :p

The Micro is my least favorite Nintendo handheld since it is tiny and limited to GBA games (there are other bad points, and some good ones, including the size...).  Size is an issue with the SP for me as well, and I am not into the look of it so much anymore.  It looks too plain and boring, and like a typical early 21st century consumer electronic device.  I still usually think of the silver one, but I guess some colors are more interesting, just not the standard ones.  Even the brick had some interesting style choices.  That being said, I think both versions of the SP are probably the best choice for those who want to play the most games close to the original way on authentic hardware.

The Micro and New 3DS are the only 2 of their handhelds (when I say this I am not including game and watch and such) I have not owned.  Oh, and the 2DS.  And XL versions...  They have released a lot of variations recently.  Anyway, the Micro took away too much for me, and didn't offer much in return, but it still seems to have sold well enough, and there are people that still want them to use.  It would be cool if they released an XL sized New 2DS.  I still kinda think the design of the 2DS might be best for longevity, and I will probably need a New 3DS eventually (I am still playing Xenoblade Chronicles on a Wii, so no need yet).

Is there anything reliably hinting at what the NX will be, and not what it won't?

I haven't actually looked at the specs of the New 3DS, but the next one of their handhelds I buy will be of the larger screen variety. It may not be used just by me, though...not sure if you can have multiple lusers like on the Wii U.  I don't really have any games I am really looking forward to.  I think the new Xenoblade will be New 3DS (what is the best abbreviation for it?) only, so if there are a few other games I am into I will pick it up in the next year or so, but maybe not until we get more info about the NX.  The Pyra is a higher priority for me.

Although I never really felt that I needed an XL in the DS family I came to really appreciate a larger screen due to my Pandora.  I stick with smaller sized smartphones, but after staring at one for a while and then using my Pandora the Pandora screen feels massive.  I can keep using smaller screened handhelds, but I am not likely to carry them unless I have a bag or cargo pockets, (or if they fill my need to be reachable by others, eliminating my need for a fone).  Since it will probably only be used at home I might as well go with a more pleasant sized screen.

Now I will go look at the upcoming Nintendo releases and probably find a reason to buy a New 3DS. 

Serious question.

Why are the folks at Ninty (in Japan) so pathetic at making smart gaming and business decisions?
Good question SONY, but I don't know where to begin to even scratch the surface with a competent answer. First off, Japanese business is a different beast than probably any other country in the world, and while this can be good at times, it can also be an Achilles heel.

"N" was ran for a very long time like a dictatorship, as it had one man in charge, and that I believe led to the issues they have today. They just really function best on their own, and only work outside the fold when it suits their needs. Sadly, this is where I think they are very "broken".

They have just functioned for so long with this inward mentality, they just can't, won't, or refuse to break from tradition. Japan is all about tradition, so who knows if and when they will ever fix what is "broken". Even when they finally attempt some industry standards, they do it years behind everyone else, and normally not very well.

Once they where at the forefront of the industry, and now the innovation is just gone. Yes, they still make great games, but it's the same games over and over(wash, rinse, repeat). "N" will always be apart of my best gaming memories, and I wish them well in the future, but they keep expecting different results, when they continue to do the same dumb shit!

Chris

Did the crap begin when Yamauchi passed away? Is it somewhat Iwata's doing?
Well, Iwata was running the company long before Yamauchi passed away, so who can say for certain when things went wrong exactly. Yamauchi did some dumb shit back in the day, but the industry was very different then, and he was considered a pioneer of sorts, so he got away with a lot. The company probably should have started making big corrections back in the N64 days, but Yamauchi didn't work that way. By the time they knew there was trouble, the Wii came along and saved the day.

I've always said the Wii was a huge blessing and a huge curse for "N". If the Wii wouldn't have succeeded, it would have made them take some serous looks at how they operated their business, and hopefully they would have made some big changes. Since it took off, it gave them the same "Big Head" mentality they had after the NES and SNES periods. Atari had it with the 2600, where they flooded the market with more games(mostly crap) then they had systems,and Sony had it with the PS3 when they thought consumers would pay anything to have their latest and greatest.. "N" is the only company so far in my lifetime that has had it twice IMO.

"N" broken business model just happened along at a time when the casual gamer was coming in to full swing, an their low spec cheap system mentality was at the right place at the right time. Anyone could argue it was their genius that made it all possible, but I just don't see it. I have a Wii currently along side my 360, PS3, WiiU, 3DS, Vita and Pandora, and the Wii hands down gets the least amount of use.

If anyone looks at "N" last 20+ years of home consoles, you can see a steady pattern of decline for "N", with the Wii being the one anomaly of it all. The pattern is right back on track with the WiiU, and I'm sure the next home console will decline even further, unless they make some HUGE changes.

Hell, just look at all the great Japanese companies of long ago, Capcom, Konami, Nintendo, the list goes on and on, and they all just don't get it.

Chris

Back