Nintendo Switch

You want!??

• Total voters

Go ahead and spray me with funny smelling stuff.

I don't actually have a huge selection of games myself. I'm not much of a player.

Games of note:
Armello
Black Mesa
Bunny Must Die!
Child of Light
Dust: An Elysian Tale
Endless Legend
Endless Space
Meadow
Never Alone
Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

and then of course the obvious must haves:
Skyrim
Fallout: New Vegas
Half Life 2, ep 1, ep 2, LC
Portal, Portal 2
Civ V
Civ: Beyond Earth
Terraria
Torchlight II
XCOM

Bought me a Anker Powerbank today,
It have 26000 mah, and I want to use it whit the Switch, so I can put my Switch, and this Thing and something to sit on in my Backpack in Summer, so I can goo outside in our garden, to play my games ..
I hope the Screen is good readeble in Sunlight..
I wonder how long I can Play whit the Powerbank, but it should much more than 3 Hours in Zelda..

Reactions: rSl
Has anyone here pre-ordered yet? ..I'd love to hear of your reasons as I'm struggling to commit, I'd LOVE to buy a new Nintendo console at launch as it's been a while since the last for me (Gamecube) other than there's a Zelda at launch!
I'm terrified of third party support or the lack of it & the actual power of the device though.. I own a Nvidia Shield TV which apparently has the same chip as the Switch is using ..Tegra X1 (who knows?) the Switch is a fabulous device & for all things media/emulation is the best thing I have EVER used on my TV no contest.. but capable to run all the incoming games at acceptable frame rates (regardless of Nintendo's coding alchemy) that is another matter entirely.. I appreciate that Nintendo's first party stuff will almost certainly be perfect (It Better Be!) but they can't survive on that & I'm nervous of how well (or not) stuff that ain't from the big N is going to look/play or is going to be offered in a compromised version.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I pre-ordered. Reason being that pre-orders sell out and then go for 2-4 times their original value on e-bay.
I'm pretty sure this makes me a bad person.
I'm pretty sure Nintendo doesn't care:
(the NES classic, Amiibo, deliberate rarity factor in toy companies)

Has anyone here pre-ordered yet?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

The NS is the second home console in a row from "N" that I won't be buying at launch, and maybe not at all. And this is from someone who imported most consoles/handhelds at release, and then bought the US versions once they where out. I did finally buy a Wii U for myself last week, as they are no longer being made, and NoA sales a refurbished white 32GB model(pretty much new system), that wasn't officially offered here, and it's $200 which was my buy in price for what I found the Wii U to be & offer.

I'm more a portable gamer at heart, so the NS is more appealing, but it's not as portable as I would like, and the price is just assdiculous. We all know you buy a "N" system for "N" games(didn't used to be the case, but is is now), but for me, their once wonderful and creative games, have become stale and repetitious, or sadly, just flat out bad. Now that isn't all games, but when your system is mostly supported by one company, it needs the best and then some, and to spend the money on the NS, just to play Wii U titles, what's the point? Yes, 1 2 Switch, and Arms are new titles that are only on NS, but MK, Zelda and Splatoon are Wii U games. Splatoon 2 is new, but is it worth another $400 to play? If your not a fan, which I wasn't, it's not a factor.

3rd party support looks less than the Wii U had, and for the games that are being released, they look like rather safe and low risk titles for 3rd parties, with no new or creative AAA titles. Just games that are mobile titles, or easy ports, where if they don't sale well, they aren't out a ton of money, and they can save face with "N" and say they tried. The best game at launch is Zelda, and if anyone really wants that, just get it on the U, and wait out the NS and see what happens. I expect a good launch, but after the novelty and newness wears off, your going to have a ton of consumers bitching about no games, and it's the Wii U cycle all over again.

3rd party support may improve, but not until they reach a good installed base, and that won't happen without good 3rd party support, so it's a catch 22, and always will be. I'm expecting some bundles, or maybe a better valued set later in the year, so unless you just want the latest and greatest, I'm personally waiting, and seeing where this goes, but so far, I'm very underwhelmed by it all.

[doublepost=1486908526,1486907049][/doublepost]
I'm pretty sure Nintendo doesn't care:
(the NES classic, Amiibo, deliberate rarity factor in toy companies)

I can say 100%, yeah they don't care, which is rather sad. I was lucky enough to get my son a NES Mini through Amazon when they first offered them, and it was sold out within seconds. During the few weeks leading up the Xmas, I was able to get an extra controller from Walmart, as they offered the Mini at 2pm Mon-Friday one week, and that was just as bad as Amazon was.

When it was all said and done, I sold that $9.99 controller, for $70+, and covered the cost of the system I bought at Amazon. "N" announced that system pretty early on, and while a few places took preorders, most did not. That's all it would have took to gauge demand, and produced based on that, but that is a foreign concept at "N". Their best selling current gen item, the 3DS has been sold out most places since early December, and is just now seeing restocks happening.

So where one could plead ignorance with the Mini, and not knowing how popular it would be, what's the excuse for the one item that has actually been making them money not being available during the busiest shopping time of year?

Chris

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever bought a Nintendo home console at launch. The NES I only ever played the first five minutes of Super Mario World in Woolworths, once a week or so (alternating with tetris on gameboy, which thankfully wasn't on a timer). For the SNES and N64, I always lived in shared houses where somebody had one, and finally picked up my own a few years after I got my own place when they brought out the blue and white (iMac) style ones, for 80 quid I think. Gamecube I waited for the first (I think) manufacturer price drop which took it down to 150 quid. Wii I bought second hand for 10 quid (after trading in a 360 steering wheel), and I've not yet picked up a WiiU.

I did pick up a first gen GBA (later retrofitted with a front light), and a first gen DS (though I don't think I pre-ordered either of them), then picked up a second hand Lite. I did preorder a 3DS, and that has given me a lot of entertainment, though I am disappointed in their recent move towards free-to-play type gaming. I'll be keeping an eye in whether they try that schtick on the Switch too.

Only tree fridays to go, a bit less than 3 Weeks..

And I found something pretty cool
7c138dd62d79c96e39bf3b44b74c1b70.jpg
ef9dde6eae90d15c9bc4af27a89cafcf.jpg

Has anyone been able to try the Switch at any local events? None of the ones in the states passed through my city, but I figured someone here may have been able to attend depending on their location. Overall, most hands on impressions have been good.

Chris

Not personally, but I've heard from a few people that have. General impressions I remember is they were quite impressed with the hardware, but 1-2-switch was not worth what they were charging. And don't bother with the pro controller yet - the joycons are better than expected, so unless you buy a lot of virtual console stuff and really need a dedicated d-pad, save your money for now.

Hear is my Nintendo Device ID for the Switch

73b546b0c7f54d63f8f82fc5fc8692a8.jpg

Ditnt had the chance to try the Switch yet, so at 3.March, it will be my first time..
But I heard the Device is pretty good in therms of usability so I'm looking forward..

Not personally, but I've heard from a few people that have. General impressions I remember is they were quite impressed with the hardware, but 1-2-switch was not worth what they were charging. And don't bother with the pro controller yet - the joycons are better than expected, so unless you buy a lot of virtual console stuff and really need a dedicated d-pad, save your money for now.

Yeah, the 1 2 Switch has "free" pack in game written all over it, so while I'm not getting an NS at launch, I never planned to get that title unless it's $10 or under, so no worries there. While I enjoyed Wii Sports, and Nintendo Land with my son, those where great titles to show the concept of the machines they where released along side(packed in with), "N" have just become greedy in recent years, and it's not a good look for them at all.

Chris

According to Nin Tendo, 1 2 switch will be a full price title (50 $/€) ans will get sold seperatly from the Switch.

From the leaked tear down pics, it looks fairly well made. ,many of the components are modular including the battery, uSD slot, game card slot, headphone jack and emmc storage.

Now that the embargo is over, a number of people and sites have gotten the Switch and written about it. It appears it's using a Tegra X1 as Engadget reported.

Also interesting is the real battery test below. Zelda at full brightness and volume etc runs for 2.5 hours.

Also, there seems to be a connectivity/signal strength issue with the joycons. Check the second video below

Last edited:
Hmm, people are calling it a desyncing issue of the left joycon. That's clearly not a desync that requires you to re-pair in a long and fairly complicated process - you just need to adjust your grip to allow it to connect at higher bandwidth.

To be fair, it's not exactly surprising it's doing this. It's a small unit and you're almost entirely covering it with your hand grip, which is a bag containing a significant quantity of water, which is a very effective attenuator of radio signals.

Hmm, people are calling it a desyncing issue of the left joycon. That's clearly not a desync that requires you to re-pair in a long and fairly complicated process - you just need to adjust your grip to allow it to connect at higher bandwidth.

To be fair, it's not exactly surprising it's doing this. It's a small unit and you're almost entirely covering it with your hand grip, which is a bag containing a significant quantity of water, which is a very effective attenuator of radio signals.

I was heading here to report this, but someone beat me to it.

Since the press has been getting units, many have had this issue, and until this video, no one knew what was causing it, so every assumed it was a desyncing issue, but your correct, that is not the case. People have wondered how this didn't come to light during the preview events, and distance seems to be a factor, so when these where previewed, the NS was always close, so the issue never materialized.

So for those of you who may be a distance from where your NS is going to be set up, this may be an issue. There are rumors going around that this will be fixed by release, but as I stated, that is just a rumor, and this may be a bigger issue, so be aware.

Chris

EDIT: Here's a quote from a press member over at NeoGAF:

Originally Posted by Listonosh

I just measured how far my couch is from the dock and it's exactly 8 feet. Which begs me to believe 8ft is the sweet spot. Because the closer I get the less wonky the controls get.

I did numerous tests just now with different configurations, docked, tabletop, 6 feet, 10 feet, covering the joycon, uncovering it. What I found is hat obviously the further you get the less responsive they become. However the only really weird outlier in my testing was simply sitting 6 feet away, lounging with my hands to my side, neither joy con covered, and yet still after some time the sensing would just get completely wonky. Sitting about 4 feet away I noticed that if my hands are by my side but pointing at the screen everything's perfect but as soon as I drop my hands to a more comfortable position, the calibration once again gets weird and has a few dead spots. If I put the joycon behind my back for example, then the party's over. There's barely ever any response or all the inputs are delayed. That one is more understandable I guess since it correlates to the gamexplain video, but doesn't at all explain why it's still messing up 6 feet away when simply lounging.

I also opted to try some of these variables with the grip since I figured the grip would force me to point the joycon more so at the tv/dock but surprisingly I found out that it too had some issues. I tried holding the controller in many different ways, all comfortable ways like I imagined I would hold it if I'm playing for a long period of time. Simply holding the grip in front of me seems to work just fine, however if I decide to bring the grip up to my chest (for example when I'm laying down) so that the buttons are facing it and that the top of the controller is facing my face, it completely stops working. Right joycon can still rotate the camera but link simply won't move. So the position of the joycon seems to really play a large part in how it's detected.

Also, man I can't believe how long I just spent rotating a damn dot around a circle just to see if a controller is working properly! On a new console no less! I really love the joy con too and I'd rather use them instead of a pro controller so I'm hoping this signal issue can be fixed with an update.

Last edited:
Back