Nintendo Revolution, First Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, go buy the real thing! you want to play a game legally? go buy it! there will always be rare games that cost a lot of $$$, but if you really like/want it, then you should do yourself the favor and buy it.
and importing may be a better option for you since 60 pounds for an n64 game is unheard of(here)!

declaration posted on May 21 2005 at 01:01 PM said:
Why is emulation never as good as the real thing?

I think its better. You can play at a higher resolution making many N64 games (Mario 64 for example) look better than they ever did on the original hardware.

Controller adaptors mean you dont have to use crappy controls. You can also change the button options, as you could never do on many console games.

Save states mean you can have the choice of saving wherever. Helpful if you need to go somewhere.

Some emulators even have features such as the ability to 'fast-forward', meaning you can skip cut scenes you've already seen before.

If you think the real hardware is better than emulation, fair enough. I personally think that that is just psychological, because if you have a top quality emulator and hardware, emulation can even be better.

yeah, exactly. all complete emulators are better/more convenient than the real thing, although you can never get the same feeling from then as when you're playing on the original hardware. this will be the same for whatever the revolution will have, too.

so then it's not that you want to emulate legally, but that you want to have posession of the roms legally, right concept? i'd much rather have legal posession of the real thing ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't this a pretty much confirmed feature now? So saying I should go out and buy the original games is retarded as I won't have to. What I was trying to say is that for myself (and I suspect, many people) this isn't a 'gimmick' or a useless feature, but actually something quite cool and useful.

Also as I said I really don't want nine different consoles set up at one time, which is what I'd have to do if I got all the original carts I want to play.

thats unlikely I think, but it would be very cool. I have a large amount of 64 games I want to play again, but can't be arsed to hunt down my 64.

Magus 86 posted on May 21 2005 at 03:58 PM said:
I paid $80 for Chrono Trigger when it was new... If emulation isn't as good, and you want a legal way to play the old games, why not buy the real things? Videogames have always been pretty expensive, and that's not gonna change. I'd rather have the original cartridge than download it on the Revolution anyway.

Well... at least here in Germany I have seen the price for a working, english Chrono Trigger Cartridge go over 200€. While I have the game (including the instruction booklet and the artwork, well and the box), I doubt that many will want to pay that kind of money for the game if Nintendo offers it for10 to 20. (Mind you, I said IF)

As for the emulators vs consoles argument... there is this special feeling when you play the game on a console. A subtle feeling like "everything is like it should be". I can't really describe it - I actually feel good when I insert my Ogre Battle cartridge into my SNES, and playing it feels somehow better than using emulation. Like... when using emulation, someone ripped his own game and you got it and now you just play another computer game. But on the actual console, you know that there are several cartridges like this, but this one is MINE. And everything that happens in the game is suposed to happen, not because some hobby programmer decided he wants to emulate what happens, but because the actual ROM was programmed to do exactly that.
Getting kind of esoteric here, but there really is a difference for me.

Mosch posted on May 21 2005 at 08:17 PM said:
I paid $80 for Chrono Trigger when it was new... If emulation isn't as good, and you want a legal way to play the old games, why not buy the real things? Videogames have always been pretty expensive, and that's not gonna change. I'd rather have the original cartridge than download it on the Revolution anyway.

Well... at least here in Germany I have seen the price for a working, english Chrono Trigger Cartridge go over 200€. While I have the game (including the instruction booklet and the artwork, well and the box), I doubt that many will want to pay that kind of money for the game if Nintendo offers it for10 to 20. (Mind you, I said IF)

As for the emulators vs consoles argument... there is this special feeling when you play the game on a console. A subtle feeling like "everything is like it should be". I can't really describe it - I actually feel good when I insert my Ogre Battle cartridge into my SNES, and playing it feels somehow better than using emulation. Like... when using emulation, someone ripped his own game and you got it and now you just play another computer game. But on the actual console, you know that there are several cartridges like this, but this one is MINE. And everything that happens in the game is suposed to happen, not because some hobby programmer decided he wants to emulate what happens, but because the actual ROM was programmed to do exactly that.
real thing is always a million times better

DemonStar55 posted on May 21 2005 at 09:29 PM said:
hopefully they have a device that can rip nes snes and n64 games to it
because I have a lot of those

No they won't let you do that. Then you wouldn't be paying them for their ROMs. That is the whole idea, to get you to buy games that have been done for ages. It is like free money for Nintendo, no developement cost and no need to have to split some profit with stores, now they get all of the money.

Mosch posted on May 22 2005 at 01:17 AM said:

A real good emu can duplicate this feeling. I was beta testing Rlyeh's ColecoVision emu and I got the feeling that I was playing the real hardware. And I was a big Coleco fanboi in the day. It was perfect and captured the "soul" of the hardware that you speak of.

The trick is that the emu has to be perfect or very close to perfect in every way from timing and framerate to sound. Very few emus are so that is the problem.

sam fisher posted on May 21 2005 at 11:43 AM said:
lol. are they infared as a mag says? J allard talks about signals not getting mixed up through walls which suggests not infared. and head sets through infared does not seem right ;)

Obviously they aren't infrared. If the controller isn't lined up with the IR sensor it won't work. And it is impossible for IR beams to go through walls so the controllers are definetly RF.

Well Mosch, I've NEVER had that feeling in my entire life... and based on what you said, it's a psychological thing, just as I suspected. If you play any old games on the revolution though, you're still not playing it on the original system, so how will you still get that feeling? You might as well just forget about it and emulate. it's the exact same thing except you don't have to pay for old games you missed the first time around. I'm not suggesting someone spend 200 euros on Chrono Trigger. But I wouldn't spend any amount of money on a system that can do what my computer can already do, especially when I own the original system and cartridge. I'll be damned if I'm paying for the game again. Unfortunately, I no longer have the box or book. I just have the cartridge and 2 maps that came with the game... no idea what happened to the rest... :(

c0ncept posted on May 21 2005 at 06:40 PM said:
Isn't this a pretty much confirmed feature now? So saying I should go out and buy the original games is retarded as I won't have to. What I was trying to say is that for myself (and I suspect, many people) this isn't a 'gimmick' or a useless feature, but actually something quite cool and useful.

Also as I said I really don't want nine different consoles set up at one time, which is what I'd have to do if I got all the original carts I want to play.

because it is a gimmicky, useless feature. what's wrong with buying the original hardware? everyone agrees, there's nothing like playing on the real thing. and i don't see how you would see this revolution feature as something superior to current emulators.
you think it won't be emulation, or just because it's offered by nintendo that it will be more than just that? the only plus side i can see from this is that you'll be able to legally buy those game ROMS, which really isn't something to get all crazy about.
what the heck is wrong with owning the original hardware/carts and also playing those games on your pc or whatever platform by emulators?

junker posted on May 21 2005 at 11:58 PM said:
c0ncept posted on May 21 2005 at 06:40 PM said:

because it is a gimmicky, useless feature. what's wrong with buying the original hardware? everyone agrees, there's nothing like playing on the real thing. and i don't see how you would see this revolution feature as something superior to current emulators.
you think it won't be emulation, or just because it's offered by nintendo that it will be more than just that? the only plus side i can see from this is that you'll be able to legally buy those game ROMS, which really isn't something to get all crazy about.
what the heck is wrong with owning the original hardware/carts and also playing those games on your pc or whatever platform by emulators?
the only way emulation could be better on teh PC is if you had a controller

my point isn't that emulation is necessarily better than the real thing, but that whatever feature the revolution won't be any better.
and yeah, you can use a controller on your pc, or xbox(best emulator experience IMO).

Yeah, I've had a PSX(original, without analog sticks)-style PC controller for at least 2 years now that I use with my emulators. Before I had that, I used my keyboard, and it was like using an NES Advantage controller(minus the joystick, of course, but i'm used to the arrow keys because of Rogue Spear)... Why should the controller matter? I use a MadCatz RetroCon whenever I play my PS2, and I don't feel like I'm playing an NES. I just feel like I'm playing a PS2 with a slightly different controller(except that now it doesn't feel different or weird because I'm used to it). I don't understand the psychological attachment to the controllers or original system... there is absolutely no difference. And like someone else already said, you can use the original controllers. So the only difference is maybe the location of your ass as you play the games, along with a few other similar minor things that don't make a difference anyway. If it's that big of a deal that you don't want to emulate because of the "feeling," then go buy the originals. So what if it's expensive, you want to play them legally right? If there's such a big difference between an SNES and a PC, then I'm sure you'll notice it between the SNES and the Revolution too.

I'm trying to say that there is no big difference.

The only difference is in your minds and probably comes from the fact that to play SNES games on the PC, you have to boot up the PC, mess around with an emulator interface, select options and deal with menus.

The revolution will almost certainly require none of this, and therefore it will feel the same as playing on original hardware (except for the pads).

Magus 86 posted on May 22 2005 at 04:53 AM said:
Well Mosch, I've NEVER had that feeling in my entire life... and based on what you said, it's a psychological thing, just as I suspected. If you play any old games on the revolution though, you're still not playing it on the original system, so how will you still get that feeling?

Of course it's psychological, that's why I highly doubt it will ever be "emulatable". By the way, it's a pity you never felt that, that excitement over a new game and all that stuff I said up there ;)

And I doubt that I'll get the same feeling from playing old games on a Revolution. So what? I still have my original consoles, but it's a great feature for people who want to play the games without buying four other consoles plus the games; also, the consoles have to stand somewhere, you have to have the cables somewhere.....
For the real geeks, that feature will not be that great, but for the casual gamer who remembers the old games (and I know a lot of people who sell their old console to get money for the next generation one), it will be a great feature. Nintendo wins, video gamer wins, everyone happy. It's not like they're forcing you to download their games at gunpoint ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back