Microsoft Xbox 360 Mini

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
These are the specs for the new Xbox 360, which include a "custom Kinect port," a new system fan that's "as quiet as a PS3," according to Microsoft, and some other noteworthy changes, like the official death of Memory Units.

• Touch Sensitive Buttons - turn the Xbox 360 on or off and eject a disc with the swipe of a finger
  • Whisper Quiet - Whether you're playing a DVD disc or from the hard drive or navigating the dashboard, with the all-new and much quieter Xbox 360, the only noise you'll hear is your own laughing, cheering and playing
  • Wi-Fi - Built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi for fast, easy connection to your friends and entertainment on Xbox LIVE.
  • Hard Drive - 250GB internal, swappable hard drive for even more storage. To access, remove the bottom panel by pushing the small tab toward the front of the console.
  • Kinect-ready - Custom Kinect port on the back of the console that directly hooks up to the Kinect sensor for controller-free fun.
  • USB Slots - Five USB ports, three in the back and two in the front.
  • Power Supply - Smaller and more efficient. Xbox 360 250GB and Xbox 360 Original power supplies are not interchangeable.
  • Wireless Controller - The award-winning Xbox 360 Wireless Controller matches the console in all black with color-matched thumbsticks and directional pad with a touch of gloss and chrome to complete the look.
  • Backward Compatible - Your favorite accessories and games will work with Xbox 360 250GB. Xbox 360 external hard drives and Memory Units are not compatible.
  • Under AU $550?
500x_xbox360specs.jpg
500x_xbox_360_slim.jpg

http://kotaku.com/55...-xbox-360-specs

My thoughts;-

• A touch sensitive power button was something that the PS3 phat had already achieved in 2006.
  • Whisper quiet was already what PS3 Slim was doing...last year. Nothing new here.
  • WiFi - n...not really needed as it's a non-portable console.
  • Looks like all the current 360 owners who are planning to get this new model will have to use the good old HDD transfer cable thing, if still compatible.
  • Kinect ready = Meh
  • 5 USB slots? A bit over-kill, don't you think? And they're probably not even USB 3.0 (too expensive to put at the moment?). PS3 had 4 to begin with and removed 2 when the PS3 Slim was released, so once again...nothing really new.
  • Smaller PSU, but not built in (inside) to the console = FAIL
  • Controller looks and sounds exactly the same to me, so me. I hate using, as it's uncomfortable as a mofo.
  • Not 100% backward compatible with current 360 accessories.
  • Price is too high, imho.

Its a revision so its a bit unfair to scrutinize it too much or expect any huge new features. Anyway, built in wifi is actually a big thing for me and the reason I never bought an xbox to begin with. Didn't want to run wires around and the wifi adapter was way too much on its own.

I'm a bit confused about the "custom Kinect port" though. Does that mean that old xboxes won't be able to use Kinect or is the port something that was already on the old xbox units?

It's probably utter marketing bullshit³. If the old 360s can't use Kinect, it's going to be completely useless crap...

All in all it's a fixed 360 but I've already got an old one so I don't care.

It doesn't. It's a very incremental refresh.

Old Xboxes can use Kinect, but I read that they need a separate power brick! Ugh.

As for the new one, it's not quite as small as the press shots make out.

mlt6rt.jpg

They're also using a new "non-standard" HDD, to cut the arse out of the grey market I presume. That's no good for me, I shop at the grey market!

Wow Sony, can you be any more of a fanboy? Its really hard to take your opinion seriously when your actual forum name is Sony. :D

My thoughts on your thoughts:

* A touch sensitive power button was something that the PS3 phat had already achieved in 2006.

Big deal its a button.

* Whisper quiet was already what PS3 Slim was doing...last year. Nothing new here.

PS3 is pretty quiet, but its not whisper quiet, just how quiet this new console is remains to be seen.

* WiFi - n...not really needed as it's a non-portable console.

Err, what if your router is in another room? Are you going to run a cable?

* Looks like all the current 360 owners who are planning to get this new model will have to use the good old HDD transfer cable thing, if still compatible.

You can transfer 360 data to external HDDs/USB sticks since the last main update so the cable isn't needed.

* Kinect ready = Meh

Looks better than sony's giant dildo controller.

* 5 USB slots? A bit over-kill, don't you think? And they're probably not even USB 3.0 (too expensive to put at the moment?). PS3 had 4 to begin with and removed 2 when the PS3 Slim was released, so once again...nothing really new.

2 USB ports isnt enough, you cnat charge both controllers and use an external HDD or charge a headset on the slim at the same time. Current 360 has 3.

* Smaller PSU, but not built in (inside) to the console = FAIL

Meh, its a power brick.

* Controller looks and sounds exactly the same to me, so me. I hate using, as it's uncomfortable as a mofo.

Why change an awesome controller, Sony's controller is uncomfortable imo. 360 controller is more ergonomic.

* Not 100% backward compatible with current 360 accessories.

Such as? the HDD? the memory cards? Both not needed since the last update as said above.

* Price is too high, imho.

We dont know the exact price yet, so this point remains to be seen.

Iorgy77 said:
Wow Sony, can you be any more of a fanboy? Its really hard to take your opinion seriously when your actual forum name is Sony. :D

PS3 is pretty quiet, but its not whisper quiet, just how quiet this new console is remains to be seen.

A Microsoft spokesperson said that it's "as quiet as a PS3". I saw the quote on Kotaku but I now can't find the article

Looks better than sony's giant dildo controller.

That's a fanboy statement if I ever saw one

We dont know the exact price yet, so this point remains to be seen.

It's US $299

Last edited by a moderator:
Iorgy77 said:

* A touch sensitive power button was something that the PS3 phat had already achieved in 2006.

Big deal its a button.

* WiFi - n...not really needed as it's a non-portable console.

Err, what if your router is in another room? Are you going to run a cable?

* Looks like all the current 360 owners who are planning to get this new model will have to use the good old HDD transfer cable thing, if still compatible.

You can transfer 360 data to external HDDs/USB sticks since the last main update so the cable isn't needed.

* Not 100% backward compatible with current 360 accessories.

Such as? the HDD? the memory cards? Both not needed since the last update as said above.
The touch sensitive buttons I'm not sure I'd really like, I prefer the visceral old poke, click, power up.
With regard to Wi-Fi, I'm already using it (sort of) because I have to drag out my laptop, flip it on, and use ICS between it an Ethernet cable, and the X360.
The HDD thing... Greaaat, just what I'm looking forward to, buying a kit and new memory stick to format...

Nova said:
It's US $299
I saw the thing advertised as $199

I doubt I'll purchase it until I know the whole deal. When I was... 11, when the X360 came out, I was rather excited but not intent on buying. Glad I didn't, I got the opportunity to miss out on the RRoD. Oh, and my dad won a 360 in a sweepstakes anyway :D
But I'm not about to run out and grab this new unit until somebody has it hacked/modded, etc., I know what the equivalent of the E74 is on this thing, etc.
End of line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back