Nintendo Gives European Wii Price

Ganepark32 posted on Aug 31 2006 at 11:37 AM said:
The Wii does not and will not possess any form of HDMI output. As for DVI, not sure what that is but from what I've read, it won't possess this output either.

DVI is all we, consumers, need. HDMI is just a tool for publishers to sell the same movies 200 times to us with heavy copy protection scheme; there is NO benefit for consumers regarding HDMI.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2006/08/3...enshot-info.htm

Its going to be called "Far Cry: Vengeance" Will support 480p, widescreen etc.

far-cry-vengeance-wii.jpg

I want a Wii!!

I think I'm definitly going to have to get me a Wii, it by far sounds the most interesting console, and it's been a while since I've bought a Nintendo console... N64 was the last... it's going to be really awesome to play N64 and SNES games on it, and I'll also be able to pickup and play some gamecube games that I never got round to playing cos I didnt have one...

might even start looking on ebay and game stores that sell 2nd hand games and grab me some cheap before they most likely go up again once a new console is out that plays them... hmm dunno...

I read somewhere that the Wii will be playable on a PC monitor, but where I read that I'm not sure, but that would assume it has DVI or VGA output... which would be nice... but it was probably some bogus information... guess we'll have to wait and see...

signed up for notifcation from play.com for when they get info on price and pre-orders :D

xafier posted on Sep 9 2006 at 11:09 AM said:
I read somewhere that the Wii will be playable on a PC monitor, but where I read that I'm not sure, but that would assume it has DVI or VGA output... which would be nice... but it was probably some bogus information... guess we'll have to wait and see...

You can easily mod a gamecube component cable to work with a VGA monitor. (or buy one, at a place like http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/gc/vgacable.htm ). It only works with progressive scan games, which is most of them. I think it would be safe to assume that the Wii will work with a PC monitor, and that all the games will support progressive scan.

grahf posted on Sep 9 2006 at 06:57 PM said:
xafier posted on Sep 9 2006 at 11:09 AM said:

You can easily mod a gamecube component cable to work with a VGA monitor. (or buy one, at a place like http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/gc/vgacable.htm ). It only works with progressive scan games, which is most of them. I think it would be safe to assume that the Wii will work with a PC monitor, and that all the games will support progressive scan.

And only on NTSC games... since the PAL games (alas) don't come progressive enabled... (Yes I'm soooo annoyed about this... The PAL GameCube has the digital port and everthing to do Progressive Scan, it's just the software that doesn't >_>)

PokeParadox posted on Sep 9 2006 at 07:21 PM said:
And only on NTSC games... since the PAL games (alas) don't come progressive enabled... (Yes I'm soooo annoyed about this... The PAL GameCube has the digital port and everthing to do Progressive Scan, it's just the software that doesn't >_>)

surely its possible for PAL games to be progressive on the Wii though? I'd really like to use my monitor to play on cos it's a lot better than my little TV... I got one of those VGA box type things but it was utter crap made half my PS2 games look like turd :(

Hopefully... You have to remember that when the Game Cube came out in the UK (and the rest of Europe?) we didn't even have HDTV... so logically it didn't make sense for the software to support it. Which is why newer models of the Cube had the DigitalAV removed...

Hopefully they will at least give u the option this time :)

Xafier, some of those vga boxes are crap. There are some nice ones out there, but unless your giving it a good input (like raw RGB) it wont produce a decent picture on your monitor.

And pokeparadox, you should invest in a modchip such as the Qoob SX. It allows you to force 480p mode. Some games dont work, but most do. I just installed one the other day.

grahf posted on Sep 9 2006 at 04:33 PM said:
Xafier, some of those vga boxes are crap. There are some nice ones out there, but unless your giving it a good input (like raw RGB) it wont produce a decent picture on your monitor.

And pokeparadox, you should invest in a modchip such as the Qoob SX. It allows you to force 480p mode. Some games dont work, but most do. I just installed one the other day.
Grahf, can you recommend a good vga box? I recently got a free monitor from a co-worker and I want to use it so I can play games while the gf is watching TV.

grahf posted on Sep 9 2006 at 11:33 PM said:

Nice... I just might do that... of course I need a screen to support the progressive mode, but hey... yeah.
(Before I was going to connect it to my Destop monitor... Now I'm stuck with just my laptop so I can't really conntect the cube to a nice screen atm)

Ravnos posted on Sep 9 2006 at 07:13 PM said:
Grahf, can you recommend a good vga box? I recently got a free monitor from a co-worker and I want to use it so I can play games while the gf is watching TV.

The XRGB line is great, IMO. There is a nice one on ebay right now: http://cgi.ebay.com/XRGB-2-Plus-Upscan-Con...1QQcmdZViewItem
Its a pretty good deal considering it comes with both PS2 and Gamecube cables ready to go. If you want the best possible picture, things can get a little pricey. You can dig up a lot of great info at the gamesx.com forums.

hmm I wonder whether the Wii will also have Gameboy and/or GBA games to buy and play on it? they mention NES, SNES, N64 and a selection of Sega games... but there are some good GB and GBA games that would be cool to have on it too :)

176 bucks? That´s damn expensive... you could buy a decent used 19" TV for that price.

I am very interested in buying a VGA Box too, because i´m moving next week to my Uni and won´t have a TV there. I have a headmounted display, however it sucks for console games, i mainly use it with my GP2X and as a nightvision with an IR camera.

Fishbong posted on Sep 11 2006 at 08:51 AM said:
Do you think this would do the trick with a PS2?

If you have a component cable for ps2, then yeah it will probably work for you. Its really impossible to say what quality picture you'll get since you dont know what components that box is built with. Chances are it will be satisfactory. If it was me, i would buy it.

Yeah, but it states "new model PS2" I have a quite new PStwo (V14) so i think it should work, but it says the device has to support progressive scan and since some PS2 games dont support progressive scan i´m not sure wether it will work with those...

Under the "Accepted Scanning" section, it has 480i/576i listed. I would email the seller to double check.
The the problem is, that your still just ouputting a 480i signal with most ps2 games. Very few of them support 480p. Basically that means that your not going to get much better than tv quality picture on a monitor.

There is another adapter ive seen, which is the Blaze VGA adapter. It has a specific plug on it for PS2 (they make a dreamcast one also). The advantage to the Blaze VGA adapter, is that it comes with a boot disk to force 480p. Some games use a 640x480 framebuffer (480p), and then downsample and interlace the output. If it does whats advertised, then i would look into going with one of these. The only downside is that you can only use it with the PS2.

Nintendo will launch its new Wii console on 2 December in Japan, the group has said.

The Japanese electronics giant confirmed the machine would be priced at 25,000 yen ($212.5; £113) or less.

Nintendo declined to reveal when it would be releasing the machine in the US and UK but said US buyers would pay no more than $250 for it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5344510.stm

i like the price!

like to bet it sells for about £150 here in the UK, we always end up paying a bit more to ship to this little island of ours! :( still £550 - £150 = £400 to spend on games before its the cost of the PS3! even with the most expensive games thats 10 games and a console :)

Back