Nintendo Dsi

slaanesh

Certified Guru
Website
www.slaanesh.net
I didn't realize that the new Nintendo DSi was going to up the RAM and CPU.
It makes sense of course if downloadable titles are coming and the built in browser probably needs that much to run at better speeds.
However I couldn't help think about homebrew for this. MAME would run very nicely with these specs and I imagine many other emulators would too.

Food for thought, hey?

Last edited by a moderator:
'slaanesh' said:
I didn't realize that the new Nintendo DSi was going to up the RAM and CPU.
It makes sense of course if downloadable titles are coming and the built in browser probably needs that much to run at better speeds.
However I couldn't help think about homebrew for this. MAME would run very nicely with these specs and I imagine many other emulators would too.

Food for thought, hey?
Wow, i never realized how weak the ds was tech wise! Amazing what they do with it, knowing that

'slaanesh' said:
The original NDS has 4MB of RAM and a 66Mhz CPU (+33Mhz secondary CPU).
My PDA had better specs than that... And it was a Palm. Although it didn't have the 3d hardware. Still amazing what has been done with it, though. :)

I'm still technically impressed on how they got Mario Bros. working on the old colour Gameboy.. that uses pretty much every trick in the book to run.

'lizard808uk' said:
I'm still technically impressed on how they got Mario Bros. working on the old colour Gameboy.. that uses pretty much every trick in the book to run.
You're technically impressed that a second generation NES game could be ported to a platform that has, for the most part, significantly better hardware??

I do not think those minor upgrades are worth the $70CAD bump in price they want for it. The PSP is cheaper and it is considerably more powerful and useful.

It's especially not worth it if you already have a ds lite and a slot-2 flash cart.

Im gonna buy this 'new' DS at my bday (25 june) because my old DS needs replacement (touscreen with lots of scratches and I dont want to use those cheap replacement things) and I really like DSiWare.

'Xian Long' said:
if it can run an snes emulator better than the one on the ds lite.
Better how? Faster, yes. More accurate/less glitches/better compatibility, no.

The main addition that I think will really jumpstart the already thriving DS homebrew scene is the sd card slot. Once someone finds an exploit & hacks that thing wide open (which probably won't be soon off with it being available worldwide) it'll really be worth it to have one. I've already got a ds lite & a slot 2 flash card & I'm still tempted to get a dsi.

I'm still trying to get over how awful the psp was/is. Can't sell mine for shit anywhere either.

personally tho, I was kinda hoping they'd release some crazy small ds-mini (about the size of one of those ds giftcard tin things at gamestop would be rad)

You're technically impressed that a second generation NES game could be ported to a platform that has, for the most part, significantly better hardware??

Oh I stand corrected then.. in that case.. they did a god awful job. I thought the dodgy side scrolling was due to technical limits of the console not bad dev'ing.

I saw that they're doing trade-ins on old DS lites here in NZ. Tbh - I don't see the point just yet in upgrading. The camera seems pathetic too.

Maybe next DS will get a fingerprint scanner and a laser pointer, then it will be the whole package.

Back