Gp2x Upgrade Petition Idea

-Jihadisoul-

Still Fresh
Hey guys you reckon if we started up an online petition so gp2x could be upgraded such with hardware such as 3D accelerated Graphics Card,More Ram,more built in storage and etc if we were able to get a whole lot of people who would upgrade their gp2x and send it in to the company and they see how many people would buy and support our petition they may actually create a awesome upgrade if they know if alot of people would buy it and it would be great if we could send it in to the company and they upgrade it for us like what most companies do when your hardware is damaged they will take it for like a week or 2 and send it back fixed

i would really like that and probably alot of gp2x owners aswell. Games will run better the console itself will be alot faster and Emulators such as PSX,N64,3D Arcade machines would run at great speeds

It's not going to work. The GP2X is already $190. Considering that you still have to get 'special' rechargeable batteries (in the sense that they're not typically found in, say, Wal-mart) and a SD card, it's easy to see how the price can shoot up to $300 just to get the GP2x to run like how it's supposed to. To make the GP2X even more expensive will easily put it out of the price range of most people. I had to really consider purchasing it for $190, and adding in everything else that I bought (TV-Out cable, carrying case, AC adapter, 4GB card), my total price came out to $360.

Nah. Get 'em to replace the second CPU with a FPGA instead, then it could be configured to suit whatever task the game requires :)

Seriously: If you want 3D graphics, more RAM and built-in storage, you really don't want a GP2X at all. Can't see it happening. . .

well thats still cheaper than a PSP with 2 or 3 games..i guess it depends what your really want but i would really like a 3D Graphics card in my gp2x and im pretty sure alot of people would aswell it would make emulation and gaming alot faster man i only bought the gp2x like a month or two ago i dont want to just jump consoles and spend money on another console the only reason i stick to this console is because i believe it has alot of potential

Hey if they can make a external board for USB and TV out stuff dont you think a external 3D accelerator card or a upgraded GPU would be good or a FPGA that oneinoneis2 was talking about would be good...and also gp2x has great variety of homebrew and emulators a lot more larger variety than DS or PSP and also if you start homebrew or emulation on PSP and the firmware upgrades can lead to ur emulators not working anymore n etc.

If I may make a suggestion, please use punctuation, especially periods. Not only does it make your posts hard to read but it also effuses a negative connotation regarding your intelligence level.

As for your post, you cannot simply say that because this is what you want, then therefore it is what 'a lot of people' want too. Sure, a 3D graphics chip (not card, big difference) would be nice, and more RAM and built-in storage, but you're talking about more money here, but these things cost more money and substantially so for very little benefit. Considering that the main appeal behind the handheld is 2D and not 3D, a 3D chip wouldn't help as much as say, a better 2D chip. Also, 64 MB of RAM is plenty to do what needs to be done, more would just add a lot to cost without a lot of benefit. And built-in storage, if you're talking about solid state, it's pretty expensive and not too useful considering that SD cards are cheaper than getting more NAND chips.

While I do admire your enthusiasm, I think the GP2X has a lot of potential as it is. *Scratches head* Sure, we need a lot more 3D engines, games and applications, but it'll be too expensive to get it from a chip, even though once we got it, it would be a shortcut to the graphics. Too expensive and too time-consuming having to send them all back, have them upgraded, having them returned, etc.

A 3D graphics chip would be a nice shortcut, but I think we should be working on getting current developers all the info they want about 3D basics, programming without a 3D GPU. Maybe take some lessons from independant 3D engines, like YETI.

Wait a few years and get the next gen gp2x, I like not having to worry about compatability. An upgrade like 3d processor, more ram etc would be a waste to an already established community..it would create an un-needed schizm in our ranks. I am an owner of a gp2x and a gp32 and I really feel bad about the gp32 not being developed for as much..if we are split between versions of gp2x it would be a much worse situation..it would be blu+ of the gp32 from hell.

Be happy with what we have..we have not pushed many of the limits of the gp2x. It makes me eccstatic to see programs amaze me. I still am stoked every time I see even a megadrive/genesis emulator running handheld but there are by far more amazing things to come from this great group around here, give the coders time and play what the release. There are already a number of gems on the gp2x.

sorry about the ranting...I had a run in with some beer

well i appreciate it that people are actually giving in their opinions i guess an upgrade would be expensive and we should just be happy with what we have and sorry about my punctuation im not that great in punctuation and grammar including when im not thinking properly when im typing.

The only reason im so into upgrading for a better GPU because it would add more variety when it comes to 3D emulation with better speeds and graphics when it comes to 3D Gaming Emulators like PSX,N64,3D arcade and maybe old 3d games like quake3

na, no worries..we still love you. Check out some of the great programs..there are tons of emus and homebrew is popping up all over. Love your gp2x :)

maybe someday we will even get lacuna on our gp2x's

The GP2X is fairly capable of really good 3D.

If you consider ported games like Doom and Quake, then an optimised 3D engine that best uses the ARM-Linux combination could really wow people. Sure we may not have antialiasing or ultrarealistic lighting, but there's a possibility for using a lot of textures at one time, or using 3D objects as backgrounds for exciting 2D platformers or action games.

something that i would really like to see is N64 or games like Street Fight EX would be kool if they could get PSX running atleast 15 fps in developing stages you never know what gp2x is capable of even with its 2d acceleration chip

The major hinderance towards getting good 3D is the lack of a FPU. Given what the GP2X was designed for though and taking into consideration the people who program for it, 3D is really just icing on the cake.

By the way, when I say people who program for it, I mean just 1 or 2 people working on a small-scale project and not a development team that can put out 3D models and animations like a factory.

yeh thats true well anywayz i want to ask to you guys whats better PSP or GP2X do any of you have both?

-Jihadisoul- posted on Jul 19 2006 at 09:49 AM said:
Hey guys you reckon if we started up an online petition so gp2x could be upgraded such with hardware such as 3D accelerated Graphics Card,More Ram,more built in storage and etc if we were able to get a whole lot of people who would upgrade their gp2x and send it in to the company and they see how many people would buy and support our petition they may actually create a awesome upgrade if they know if alot of people would buy it and it would be great if we could send it in to the company and they upgrade it for us like what most companies do when your hardware is damaged they will take it for like a week or 2 and send it back fixed

i would really like that and probably alot of gp2x owners aswell. Games will run better the console itself will be alot faster and Emulators such as PSX,N64,3D Arcade machines would run at great speeds

I used to read a UK mag called C&VG and they ran a article where peaple would send in thier game ideas. This sounds like the sort of thing that would be sent in.

Tom age 14: My game idea for C&VG :
"My game is like Tomb Raider but better and have more music and two women they can fly and drive cars like BF1942 and it will play better than mario and have more puzzles than silent hill and a really cool racing section and it would be really cool if someone could make that."

Sorry mate, but your post is so wrong in so many ways to the point i'm not 100% sure you were not mucking about, are you have a joke? If so LoL! :) If not I may have just upset you, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol as if i would get upset over something like that hey maybe we should make a game were people shit on each other

oh please not another one of these. Stupid fucked up consumersist society we live in these days.

I think I will petition my car manufacturer to upgrade the engine as it's too slow for me. Maybe if I get other like minded car owners together we could pressure them into putting in a new engine for us.

yeh this is a stupid post i dont even know why i brought it up im a dumb ass we should just change the subject lol

Hey when you guys put movies onto ur gp2x what program do you guys use to compress your movies or do you guys just throw it on the SD card and have you had that problem when it gives you an error that it didnt identify the file or couldnt load the file

It was just an idea, we discussed it, decided it wasn't really practical, so on the to the next suggestion. Wasn't a horrible idea, just not really possible.

I have a metric assload of movies on and off my gp2x..most of the ones I put on there I didnt have to do anyhting to. There are threads all over testing that works best and what dosen't work at all..

Back