Upgrading Gp32

It's only unique as to it's pin configuration - there are loads of arm cores out there with memory controllers & lcd controllers built into them, and I would of thought you'd know that the smc controller is just software considering that you have built an sdk around it :)

It's true that the PSP is only cpu speed locked due to battery capacity.

It's only unique as to it's pin configuration - there are loads of arm cores out there with memory controllers & lcd controllers built into them, and I would of thought you'd know that the smc controller is just software considering that you have built an sdk around it :)

It's true that the PSP is only cpu speed locked due to battery capacity.

A SMC card is a Memory Card with Memory, but missing the Controller to organize the memory. This controller is build into the s3c240 chip ( look chapter 19 of pdf ). To control an SMC card you need, the SMC card, an controller (build in s3c240 chip ) and software to get access to the smc memory.
SMC cards are so damm dumb, a SD card is 1000x more nicer, comming with its own mem-controller.

The s3c240 chip offers, again,
LCD controller,
Memory Controller for SMC cards,
ARM9TDMI CPU core with memory controller (SD-RAM),
Sound Hardware, serial Bus, I²C-Bus, only connect a DAC and you have sound.

There is no other chip, supporting ALL the above features.

cheers, Mirko

This chip, looks very close to it, but missing the MMC controller.
http://arm.convergencepromotions.com/catalog/683.htm

Samsung's S3C2440,
ARM920T CPU Core,up to 533Mhz Core speed,
LCD Controller,
USB Host/Device interface 2 Port ,
AC97 Audio Codec,
!!!!!! SD Host/MMC (Multi Media Card) I/F !!!!!!
Operating Conditions
* Internal: 1.2V / 1.3V
* External: I/O: 3.3V
* Speed: 300/400/533MHz @ 1.1-1.3V
* Memory Interface: 2.5V / 3.3V

Wow, this chip looks very nice, someone wants to build a new machine with this chip ?
Count me in, i can design a nice layout with eagle .... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, this is exciting.

I say we go for it.

If only a prototype, it may lead Gamepark to mass-produce them for cheaper than we ever could.

Question: How the heck would we power this bad boy?

theres actualy a even more intresting chip by samsung, just forgot the model number (robbrown mentioned it some time ago) its pretty much the same as the s3C240/1 but 400mhz and it needs LESS!! power.
to bad it also haves a way different pinout.

Samsung's S3C2440,
ARM920T CPU Core,up to 533Mhz Core speed,
LCD Controller,
USB Host/Device interface 2 Port ,
AC97 Audio Codec,
!!!!!! SD Host/MMC (Multi Media Card) I/F !!!!!!
Operating Conditions
* Internal: 1.2V / 1.3V
* External: I/O: 3.3V
* Speed: 300/400/533MHz @ 1.1-1.3V
* Memory Interface: 2.5V / 3.3V

Wow, this chip looks very nice, someone wants to build a new machine with this chip ?
Count me in, i can design a nice layout with eagle .... :)

Wow, this is exciting.

I say we go for it.

If only a prototype, it may lead Gamepark to mass-produce them for cheaper than we ever could.

Question: How the heck would we power this bad boy?

Hah, imagine that, GP32 fans designing and prototyping Gamepark's next handheld...

I would definately want in on this, although I doubt I would be much help.

A SMC card is a Memory Card with Memory, but missing the Controller to organize the memory. This controller is build into the s3c240 chip ( look chapter 19 of pdf ). To control an SMC card you need, the SMC card, an controller (build in s3c240 chip ) and software to get access to the smc memory.
SMC cards are so damm dumb, a SD card is 1000x more nicer, comming with its own mem-controller.

<snip>

Hmmm, since I wrote GpDrive, I think I know how to talk to SMC's :p

The media controller built into the s3c2400x is serial-based, and is compatible with MMC and SD cards. It is not compatible with SMC's, which are parallel based. SMC's certainly do have a controller, and support various commands (I use them!).

In comparison, SD cards are a hell of a lot easier to talk to, as they are just serial data on a clock that can be anything upto 25Mhz. The controller inside the s3c2400x helps by allowing you to do all SD/MMC access in the background, and supports things like CRC calculation and error detection, so you don't have to do it yourself.

If you take apart a GP32, you'll find which pins are connected to the Smart media socket, and then find out that those pins are controlled directly as standard i/o pins via software in the SDK.

<snip>

The media controller built into the s3c2400x is serial-based, and is compatible with MMC and SD cards. It is not compatible with SMC's, which are parallel based. SMC's certainly do have a controller, and support various commands (I use them!).

In comparison, SD cards are a hell of a lot easier to talk to, as they are just serial data on a clock that can be anything upto 25Mhz. The controller inside the s3c2400x helps by allowing you to do all SD/MMC access in the background, and supports things like CRC calculation and error detection, so you don't have to do it yourself.

If you take apart a GP32, you'll find which pins are connected to the Smart media socket, and then find out that those pins are controlled directly as standard i/o pins via software in the SDK.
wait cna you explain what that means we can do?

(sorry Im not very good at this type of thing)

wait cna you explain what that means we can do?

Sorry, I'm not quite following you, what are you asking?
well maybe if I spelt CAN right you would be able to tell

but I was just asking if what you said means we could upgrade to teh 533 one

or we can't

would we be able to do it w/ a modded SDK or something

In that case, no I wasn't saying you could use the 533Mhz version, even with a sdk mod. I've not looked into it in enough detail.

So that's neither a yes or a no, it's a "I don't know".

I think it means that the GP32 could be hacked to work with other flash media? You would need to hack the FW and chg the SDK to make it work, but is that possible without alot of electronics rework?

I think it means that the GP32 could be hacked to work with other flash media? You would need to hack the FW and chg the SDK to make it work, but is that possible without alot of electronics rework?

You can connect an SD/MMC Card to anny i/o pin. And use it.
Modern hadware offers an SPIO Controller, to do some higher level communication between the cpu, and sd-card, but the gp32 is missing this serial controller. But it can be emulated in software. But connecting SD-card to gp32 is not worth the work. You must rewrite/compile all Software you wanna use.

<snip>

Very interesting, i never noticed this...
A bad point for gamepark, using a cpu, offering an MMC controller, but not using it.

DaveC: Yes, that is possible, and has already been done. The SMC socket can be removed and replaced with SD or MMC sockets, but the bios would have to be changed and any software that accesses the smc would need to be recompiled with a new sdk. Gomwing has already done this with his GpCinema.

Secondly, I've been able to communicate to a SD card via the Ext port at the bottom of the gp32. I can read and write sectors, and this requires a minimal amount of electronics (a few resistors is all I use). However, I don't think I'll be taking it further, as I don't see much point beyond the "proof of concept". Someone else may take my idea and improve on it though, now they know it would work. All you need is the SD documentation which decribes the required hardware.

I've no idea why Samsung decided to ignore the MMC controller inside the gp32 and use the pins for other purposes. It can't be because of low pin count as they wasted far more on the SMC interface - maybe they were in bed with Samsung, and Samsung didn't have existing code to talk to SD/MMC cards?

Back