Upgrading Gp32

I think it means that the GP32 could be hacked to work with other flash media? You would need to hack the FW and chg the SDK to make it work, but is that possible without alot of electronics rework?

You need to solder 6 new pins from cpu to your SD-Ram connector. Its possible, but no easy work. You need to know, how to handle SMD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hmmm, since I wrote GpDrive, I think I know how to talk to SMC's :p

Totally off topic but, I've been wanting to use an smc card in a non-gp32, electronic device type way. I've looked at the official datasheet for them and the interface looks way complex.

Does anyone know any good web articles about using them? Do you know of an ic controller that would do all the interfacing for me?

Or would it be better to look at a different memory card types to use?
(I was thinking smc, cos they are cheap compered to other memory and I like their slim design).

TIA :)

DAMN I ask a question for a mod and it gets 1330+views. Oh yeah has anyoe found out anything else helpful for the subject. THANKS

Totally off topic but, I've been wanting to use an smc card in a non-gp32, electronic device type way. I've looked at the official datasheet for them and the interface looks way complex.

If you want to use a flash cart for storage in a new design, then i'd recommend MMC or SD cards, as you can run them in simple SPI mode (miso, mosi, clk) or the more advanced (and faster) 4-bit mode. I certainly wouldn't recommend Smartmedia.

If you want to use a flash cart for storage in a new design, then i'd recommend MMC or SD cards, as you can run them in simple SPI mode (miso, mosi, clk) or the more advanced (and faster) 4-bit mode. I certainly wouldn't recommend Smartmedia.

I'll look into SD then. The laptop that I'm looking at has a built in reader for them.
http://www.handtops.com/show/news/91/0/Tos...retto_U100.html :ph34r: I'm waiting for it to come into the UK so I can test dirve it. If its any good, I'll have to save up then B)

The smc datasheet did put me off quite a lot. I was just thinking that smcs were cheap and worked with my camera, laptop (pre-carbus), mp3 player and gp32_console

Cheers :)

Back