Gp2x Upgrade Petition Idea

Epicenter posted on Jul 20 2006 at 02:42 AM said:
It wouldn't really 'divide' developers to have an enhanced GP2X released later-- though I would imagine it being considerably later for fiscal reasons among others (the GP2X hasn't been out THAT long.) It's pretty easy to use ifdef/endif statements to have different code automatically compile for different hardware choices in a C program, so one compile job could build a GP2X / GPWhateverTheyCallIt / XGP version all at once with or without features custom tailored to each machine.

As for the x86 idea-- not bad, but since the development scene has been working with ARM9 processors for years now and have put together so much ASM for various applications that wouldn't run on an x86 processor, it might not be the ideal approach. Also, GPH would need to engineer/have engineered an x86 board that would fit a remarkably small space with a lot of extra parts to accomodate-- a chipset, loads of controllers, etc.-- when an SoC can cram all that into a space the size of a quarter.
Did you even click the link I left?

That was a "handheld" already silly. Looked about the right size too.

I guess it is a little taller, but at 640x480 we need at least a 4" screen.

The point of this would be Win XP in your hand and classic PC games on the go for under $1000 with a built-in controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Magnulus posted on Jul 24 2006 at 03:04 AM said:
nubie posted on Jul 24 2006 at 06:47 AM said:
The point of this would be Win XP in your hand and classic PC games on the go for under $1000 with a built-in controller.

I don't want WinXP on my desk.
Why not? I'd like to see you write a better OS.

(Or is it possible that you don't even know how to USE a proper OS :).)

Seriously though I would likely run 98se on it for the compatibility with older video games and the Dos base.

Anyone who has ever tried retro-gaming will know that you need Actual Directx 7 to run a lot of Directx 7 stuff. And so on and so forth for a lot of stuff, DX6.1 DX8.1 and drivers and the whole nine yards.

If everything is on a little handheld you can play around with the OS and the games while on the move.

If you get it figured out then you can build a Multi-Game cabinet for a couple hundred bucks with the same hardware in it and it will all work.

nubie posted on Jul 24 2006 at 08:43 PM said:
Haw haw. Dumbest argument ever. I'm not a team of professionals who've been paid to program an OS.
OS X for mac is superior. And cheaper if you have to purchase it.

Anyone who has ever tried retro-gaming will know that you need Actual Directx 7 to run a lot of Directx 7 stuff.
Then I've never tried retro-gaming, I suppose. I wonder what I have been doing, then. Probably eating sprouts.

Magnulus posted on Jul 24 2006 at 02:05 PM said:
Haw haw. Dumbest argument ever. I'm not a team of professionals who've been paid to program an OS.
OS X for mac is superior. And cheaper if you have to purchase it.

Anyone who has ever tried retro-gaming will know that you need Actual Directx 7 to run a lot of Directx 7 stuff.
Then I've never tried retro-gaming, I suppose. I wonder what I have been doing, then. Probably eating sprouts.
You are really tearing up these forums, shooting for 2,000 posts are we?

I find that many bitch about M$ for no good reason. XP is light-years better than any other iteration of their OS, I wish people would find it in their hearts to see where we come from and how good we actually have it.

I wish I could afford the shameless luxury of a Mac, not being made of money (or having a tree in the yard sprouting said money), I do without. Mac OS X costs about $200 if you figure in the inflated price of the improperly built Apple hardware you are forced to buy with it.

I would still like to see you write a better OS. IE, I don't think you fully realize how much Microsoft has added to the Computer experience over the years, take the good with the bad. And, more to the point, I don't think you fully understand how difficult it is to be as completely omnipotent as the pundits and critics feel that Microsoft should be. As popular as it is, it is amazing it runs as well as it does.

Hmm, sprouts, that must be a nice BM for you in the mornings (unless I am assuming and you like a nice BM in the evening).

Oh god, Magnulus? Isn't this the dumbass I argued with for 20 minutes about this exact same nonsese in #gp2xdev? Don't bring your crap here and stop derailing this topic with your mindless idealistic railing against XP; no one cares to listen or they'd go to a relevant forum.

since this has pushed so far off topic anways...hey Mr Epicenter..
Have you released any information about your game you have linked in your sig? I thought I read about information being posted or something similar a short bit ago but I never saw it :(

No rush at all, just thought of it lookin at your sig, have a good one

I've replied to both Nubie and epicenter in private, because I think both of their posts reached into more personal areas than necessary in public, but I feel it's sort of important for to point out that Epicenter is confusing me with someone else. Maybe Magus.

The "John" chip looks pretty rockin', for sure. IN a few years, that technology will have gotten even cheaper, and just maybe the next GPH system will include one of those things, or an ARM with a similar clock speed. Like I've said, I don't need anything more powerful than the GP2X right now, but some time in the future, it'd be nice to have an update. Not sure I want a very much bigger screen (max 4" if you ask me...) but 640x480 would be delicious. Would make the unit much more useful for the "eBook" and video viewing.

Winterkid posted on Jul 25 2006 at 09:52 AM said:
Well, also this isn't the right thread OR the right forum OR group of forums to have an OS war.
I thought we were done with this by now?

I'll make a handheld myself. I'll take an old gameboy, wire it up to an old watch housing, with the LCD sticking up on an angle, give it a wired DPAD seperate from the unit, put the start and select on the bottom of the rim of my hat, make my shoes reactive to steps as the A and B button, and I'll be able to run, hop and skip my way through tetris. I'll look funny as hell, but it'll work.

greenmikey posted on Jul 24 2006 at 11:18 PM said:
since this has pushed so far off topic anways...hey Mr Epicenter..
Have you released any information about your game you have linked in your sig? I thought I read about information being posted or something similar a short bit ago but I never saw it :(

No rush at all, just thought of it lookin at your sig, have a good one

There will be an announcement soon, though we had to push it back a bit. Stay tuned. :)

I've replied to both Nubie and epicenter in private, because I think both of their posts reached into more personal areas than necessary in public, but I feel it's sort of important for to point out that Epicenter is confusing me with someone else. Maybe Magus.

You seem to be correct and I mixed you up with someone else with a similar name. The fact that you wrote me such a polite reply is proof of that. ;) Sorry about that one.

Sorry for being so OT. And I apologize formally to Magnulus.

Back On Topic, Does anyone see a huge problem with the Vrender3D, outside of the lack of a MPEG and Divx decoder?

I like it because it is better suited to what we are using the platform for outside of the Movies.

I would like the next-gen console to have a seperate high-clock ARM core though. The Samsung site has a spot for a 300-400 mhz SoC, but they are not available.

Would it be smarter to have a simple ARM9 and a seperate Video and I/O chip, or to have a SoC with a higher clocked CPU for the next-gen handheld?

Or, maybe to get two full cores and a seperate RAM (maybe 8MB, maybe 32MB if total system RAM is 128MB).

That way the second core will be able to be bent to our will for 3D, 2D, emulation, calculating PI, etc.

Also a processor with a full-speed FPU might come in handy, or just a seperate FPU for that floating math.

Does anyone know how much the RAM refresh on the 64MB we have now is costing us in power?

Back