Gp2x Upgrade Petition Idea

Use Vemode to compress your movies, it's free, open source, and very user friendly, even if you don't know a lot about compressing movies.

oh okay i really want to put my dave chappelle seasion 3 episodes onto my gp2x but episode 2 and 3 dont work when i put them on but the first episode works it must have something to do with the rip and i also tried a movie and that didnt work ill try some more movies i got like the one largest collection of divx,xvid and hd rip movies hopefully the next movie i test will work

-Jihadisoul- posted on Jul 19 2006 at 11:25 AM said:
sorry about my punctuation im not that great in punctuation and grammar including when im not thinking properly when im typing.

A good way to learn punctuation is to read it out loud and then put a period (the single dot.) at any point you'd normally pause to draw your breath or start a new sentence. *inhale* This should help you get a start on things, *short pause* and might make your posts easier to read. *inhale*

If you've got any questions on punctuation, *short pause* don't hesitate to ask. *inhale*

Last edited by a moderator:
Ranma13 posted on Jul 19 2006 at 01:55 AM said:
It's not going to work. The GP2X is already $190. Considering that you still have to get 'special' rechargeable batteries (in the sense that they're not typically found in, say, Wal-mart) and a SD card, it's easy to see how the price can shoot up to $300 just to get the GP2x to run like how it's supposed to. To make the GP2X even more expensive will easily put it out of the price range of most people. I had to really consider purchasing it for $190, and adding in everything else that I bought (TV-Out cable, carrying case, AC adapter, 4GB card), my total price came out to $360.

LAST I LOOKED WAL-MART STOCKS 3 BRANDS OF NiMH AA BATTERIES AND CHARGERS (and has since last October when I was shopping for them, dumbass)

Edit: just realized something, they are in every store I know of that carries batteries, Target, Rite-Aid, yeah, just cause you've never looked doesn't mean they don't exist.

pantera6 posted on Jul 19 2006 at 03:36 AM said:
Just wait for the gp3x mate
That is all anyone needed to say to him anyway.

Anyone have a good idea for a SOC to use instead of the MMSP2 (see my sig)? I don't really want the Vrender0 or whatever by the same folks (mesdegital, magiceyes), I would like to see something more up-to-date in the next-gen console.

nubie posted on Jul 19 2006 at 01:25 PM said:
LAST I LOOKED WAL-MART STOCKS 3 BRANDS OF NiMH AA BATTERIES AND CHARGERS (and has since last October when I was shopping for them, dumbass)

Is it really necessary to use huge fonts and bold all-caps like that while at the same time insulting the guy in public? Stop being such a dick toward people, Nubie.

-Jihadisoul- posted on Jul 19 2006 at 05:50 AM said:
yeh thats true well anywayz i want to ask to you guys whats better PSP or GP2X do any of you have both?

I have both. Both systems are good in their own way. I mainly use the handhelds for gaming. I didn't really care about movies or a music player. Just straight emulation and gaming. The psp is great in it's own way. It has some nice features that the consumer would like but the games are why I got it. Letely there hasn't been much to talk about with the commercial games on the psp. Now there are starting to be some really good games coming out and more down the road. I used to use the psp for homebrew, but got tired of all the immature crap that goes on with the psp homebrew scene. There's some amazing coders that do stuff on the psp, but quite a few of the people ruin the whole thing. The GP2X community is far better and more "professional" haha I guess. It's a smaller tight community and that's what makes it so much more enjoyable. Emulation to me on the GP2X is far better (minus snes right now) but it's getting there. The main reason I got a gp2x is because I wanted a full speed Mega Drive/Genesis emulator (even though I have a Nomad), MAME on the go, and GNGEO2X. So needless to say I'm very happy with the GP2X, and now that Vobbo is emulating my favorite system (PC-Engine/Duo) things are just getting better.

-Jihadisoul- posted on Jul 19 2006 at 10:49 AM said:
Hey guys you reckon if we started up an online petition so gp2x could be upgraded such with hardware such as 3D accelerated Graphics Card,More Ram,more built in storage and etc if we were able to get a whole lot of people who would upgrade their gp2x and send it in to the company and they see how many people would buy and support our petition they may actually create a awesome upgrade if they know if alot of people would buy it and it would be great if we could send it in to the company and they upgrade it for us like what most companies do when your hardware is damaged they will take it for like a week or 2 and send it back fixed

i would really like that and probably alot of gp2x owners aswell. Games will run better the console itself will be alot faster and Emulators such as PSX,N64,3D Arcade machines would run at great speeds

What i think:

The console isn't even a full year on the market, doesn't have any games that push it to the limit, and people are already complaining about the console not having the 1337'st hardware on board. Technology advances along the way, but making yet another console like the GP3X for example isn't going to make a lot of people happy. A lot of people just bought their GP2X, and aren't going to buy a GP3X in this short amount of time anyway.

People that want better hardware and 3D games just need to move on to another system i think. Buy a DS Lite, or a nice PSP. They are both very great systems for what they have been designed for. Emulation capacities can always be bether. When N64 could be emulated people would start complaining that there isn't any Dreamcast emulation possible, and so on.

My opinion is that people who don't like the GP2X as it is in its current state just have to move on to another platform, or just stop complaining about the things that this system don't can. Instead look at what it already DOES can, at this very moment! It can do a hell of a lot. There are a lot of talented people working for this system. Great stuff has already been made, and there are lots more things coming our way.

At 189.99 US, it's only ten dollars cheaper than a psp, adding all that extra stuff would drive up the price like crazy

$169 at Play-Asia and Sony sells PSPs at a loss, plus they don't rely on third-party manufacturers as much as GPH.

So, your point was?

nem posted on Jul 19 2006 at 02:43 PM said:
and Sony sells PSPs at a loss, plus they don't rely on third-party manufacturers as much as GPH
How does that affect the consumer? His point was that less people would buy a GP2X if it cost more than a PSP.

Personally, I don't think the GP2X needs a 3D chip yet. I'm really interested in the homebrew projects trying to use the 2nd CPU as a GPU and I think a lot will come of that in the future.
The GP2X is so young the hardware is barely being used properly yet. Give it time.

Well of course they sell at a loss, it's buisiness, all game companies sell at a loss. The fact is with the gp2x at it's current price adding special 3d hardware, ram, memory, etc.. will only drive up the price rediculously because gamepark isn't selling at a loss

-Jihadisoul- posted on Jul 19 2006 at 08:49 AM said:
Hey guys you reckon if we started up an online petition so gp2x could be upgraded such with hardware such as 3D accelerated Graphics Card,More Ram,more built in storage and etc if we were able to get a whole lot of people who would upgrade their gp2x and send it in to the company and they see how many people would buy and support our petition they may actually create a awesome upgrade if they know if alot of people would buy it and it would be great if we could send it in to the company and they upgrade it for us like what most companies do when your hardware is damaged they will take it for like a week or 2 and send it back fixed

i would really like that and probably alot of gp2x owners aswell. Games will run better the console itself will be alot faster and Emulators such as PSX,N64,3D Arcade machines would run at great speeds

If it had what you wanted it would just be yet another 3D handheld like the DS, PSP. If you really need 3D go get one of those. Why do so many insist that the GP2X has to be the same as every other 3D handheld all of the time? I don't get that. If 3D is what you want you already have plenty to choose from. To me 3D is a waste on such as mall screen anyway. It is hard to get immersed in a 3D world when playing on a tiny screen. Go play a PS2, Xbox 360 etc for much better 3D.

The GP2X would benefit from better use of the second core to make emulation better. If the second core had its own RAM things would improve alot. The money would be beter put into that if any upgrade was made.

xinfernoofdantex posted on Jul 19 2006 at 03:56 PM said:
Well of course they sell at a loss, it's buisiness, all game companies sell at a loss. The fact is with the gp2x at it's current price adding special 3d hardware, ram, memory, etc.. will only drive up the price rediculously because gamepark isn't selling at a loss
Not entirely sure what you mean here, but it seems like you're suggesting that GPH sell their system at a loss. This is a fine idea in itself, but what one must remember is that GPH doesn't earn money on games the way Sony does. Sony can sell at a loss because every game sold results in some more money in the bank for Sony. GPH can't sell at a loss because they don't have the same revenue, due to their system being made for the homebrew and emulation market, which is not exactly a huge cash cow.

The only two things I think gph should have originally included that they didn't is ram for the second processor and an fpu

But, I don't think we should try to get them to change it now, otherwise the early adopters (I preordered the first day gp32z had it available :p) would feel cheated. Let's just celebrate what we do have.

Also, a request like this coming from someone who obviously isn't developing anything on the gp2x doesn't really convince anyone. If all of the developers decided we needed to upgrade, then I think the community would support it much better. Right now, you're suggesting we upgrade the hardware so that we can play n64 etc. , but just because you have better hardware doesn't mean you can play those systems. What we need are some good coders to write some low-level, pedal-to-the-metal emulators (which is already happening in certain areas). Why don't you volunteer? Everyone learned how to code at some point, they weren't born with the knowledge. We haven't nearly pushed the gp2x to its limits.

Magnulus posted on Jul 19 2006 at 02:15 PM said:
xinfernoofdantex posted on Jul 19 2006 at 03:56 PM said:
Not entirely sure what you mean here, but it seems like you're suggesting that GPH sell their system at a loss. This is a fine idea in itself, but what one must remember is that GPH doesn't earn money on games the way Sony does. Sony can sell at a loss because every game sold results in some more money in the bank for Sony. GPH can't sell at a loss because they don't have the same revenue, due to their system being made for the homebrew and emulation market, which is not exactly a huge cash cow.

im not suggesting it, im just making that point clear.

well, while we are on the subject, i still havent got a gp2x and i was thinking: will the gp2x get upgraded at all in the future and should i wait, or should i get one now?

Ranma13 posted on Jul 19 2006 at 01:55 AM said:
It's not going to work. The GP2X is already $190. Considering that you still have to get 'special' rechargeable batteries (in the sense that they're not typically found in, say, Wal-mart) and a SD card, it's easy to see how the price can shoot up to $300 just to get the GP2x to run like how it's supposed to. To make the GP2X even more expensive will easily put it out of the price range of most people. I had to really consider purchasing it for $190, and adding in everything else that I bought (TV-Out cable, carrying case, AC adapter, 4GB card), my total price came out to $360.
Magnulus posted on Jul 19 2006 at 04:31 AM said:
nubie posted on Jul 19 2006 at 01:25 PM said:

Is it really necessary to use huge fonts and bold all-caps like that while at the same time insulting the guy in public? Stop being such a dick toward people, Nubie.
Do I have too? Maybe it isn't nice, but he is clearly wrong. How can a battery be 'special' when I can buy it anywhere for a very reasonable price and get a charger included? (I did however put a strike through the dumbass remark, it was a bit harsh, I hate stupidity ignorance so much) Edit: as was pointed out to me, I have no proof of his stupidity, only his ignorance (defined as lack of education), thus I change the word.

derka-street posted on Jul 19 2006 at 08:06 AM said:
well, while we are on the subject, i still havent got a gp2x and i was thinking: will the gp2x get upgraded at all in the future and should i wait, or should i get one now?
I would get one now, but caveat emptor of course. No one can know the future. The current one is great (I had the pre-order one, the first edition, and now this MK2, I must say this one is very nice), but we have heard nothing concrete about any upgrades, so it should be safe to get now.

Back