Nintendo DS Emulation with Slackware14 work, see in here! :)

ingoreis

Hardcore Member
Staff member
WELCOME ALL

----------------------

With Slackware14 for Pandora is it

possible to compile Desmume for Linux.

I made it on an Rebirth Pandora.

On a 1 GHZ Pandora should it be nearly playable.

here a Testvideo made with the golden Pandora ^_^

I can in the moment in Slackware only overclock to800MH and when OPP change work in Slackware can i make a

Video on a Rebirth with 1,03GHZ :p

Enjoy the Video

https://www.youtube.com/embed/sqbTaitBq9g?feature=oembed

Greetings from Germany and the German Gp2x Pandora Forum ;)

(when this Thread is on wrong Topic,move it)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get me wrong, but where is the news in this one ?

notaz "see for yourself and then please leave your cakehole closed" - build for the Pandora is out for months.

OOOOOOOOOPS,and i did not saw that?????

Shame on me :(

Thougt i where first ^_^ i was so happy to manage this.

Edit,but i am first who manage this on slackware :p

I don't know if there's a lot of assembly in this code, but when compiling natively with gcc-4.7.1, you can expect a boost in performance vs the 3.x from classic toolchains.

If only our emu coding gurus weren't so busy and actually wanted to go to town on optimising/writing a NDS emulator from scratch... Seriously guys this doesn't look likely to be playable any time soon and people that possibly could make a reasonably quick or fullspeed emulator are just too busy or not interested.

(Just to note that amongst this negativity there is a slight bit of optimism that someone will jump out of the shadows and say "Look at this!" but I'm not holding my breath...)

If only our emu coding gurus weren't so busy and actually wanted to go to town on optimising/writing a NDS emulator from scratch... Seriously guys this doesn't look likely to be playable any time soon and people that possibly could make a reasonably quick or fullspeed emulator are just too busy or not interested.

(Just to note that amongst this negativity there is a slight bit of optimism that someone will jump out of the shadows and say "Look at this!" but I'm not holding my breath...)

If someone were working on a DS emulator long enough to have anything to show but was quiet that whole time why would they jump out of the shadows now?

There was a pnd of this somewhere sometime ago, so nothing new here. But hey, great use of oversized fonts in that post!

What emulation-technique is this using that it can be recompiled so easily to another cpu/opengl platform?

If someone were working on a DS emulator long enough to have anything to show but was quiet that whole time why would they jump out of the shadows now?
I don't know? People do weird things. Kinda like when Ari appeared and said "O Hai! btw I have awesome dynarec which makes N64 games a reality on Pandora"

It can happen from time to time.

Yeah, Ari64 comes here when he has something done. Not to say he's working on something but it isn't ready. In the case of the N64 dynarec he needed other people to integrate it into a full port of the emulator.

What emulation-technique is this using that it can be recompiled so easily to another cpu/opengl platform?

?

Well, obviously it's no dynarec, I believe, and also it cannot build on opengl otherwise it wouldn't build for the pandora. (that's what I assume, haven't looked into the code)

I know little about emulation, but I think a mere interpreter wouldn't be able to produce such even-if-stuttery results, so my question was what technique it uses instead.

I once tried to read this and even though I broke halfway through it nevertheless fascinates me, that's why I asked.

It's definitely not a dynarec, and OpenGL isn't needed because desmume has a software renderer (and I wouldn't recommend people use the OpenGL renderer given any choice).

The games used don't look like they need a lot of the DS's CPU time, and of course frame skip is being cranked up like crazy here. In case anyone can't tell, the number at the top is the emulated speed, so when it says 12fps that means it's running at 20% the speed a real DS would (12/60). But the number of frames it's rendering is clearly a lot less than that. Between 0:53 and 1:09 it rendered about 20 frames (it's so slow you can easily count them). So it's barely more than more 1fps that it's rendering. It's possible that the game was updating that intro at 30fps for some reason, but either way it's some really, really serious frameskip.

I'm guessing the games were chosen and the settings were made to give the best possible emulated speed. Still pretty poor though...

With a 1Ghz at 1.2Ghz and pandebian desmume I have like 25 FPS on layton, but still it's far from full speed. The P2 should have enough power to make this emulator usable :)

Back