Nintendo Ds Emulation On Pandora

Patience? The system isn't even out yet, so trying to motivate devs right now is exponentially harder.

haha now we're back on topic of DS :D
The only way is to see if any dev's are interested, is once we all get our pands.
I'm sure at least one will be, out of all he people getting one.
I don't know if there's any likely port candidates that could say have a new recompiler written for example.
If people really want to get a dev interested that sort of high level investigation and reporting maybe enough to kick start someone, spark their interest. What are out there, what do they do, what would a port possibly require.
If you really want it so bad that's the sort of productive things that could be done.
Everything else probably will just end up being noise....
Just my view for what it's worth.

borgqueenx said:
I wish someone would start a ds emulator...
But i dont know how to get a dev to start on it. We tried offering money but no one answered to that.
Any other ideas?

It's been stated many times in this thread that the only reason for somebody to take on such a huge task is the *desire* to do so. Offering a few hundred/couple of thousand pounds in a bounty isn't going to help, as the time put into the project will be far in excess of the remuneration. I suppose several tens of thousands of dollars might just convince somebody to give it a shot, but as nobody here is likely to put that much cash on the table, then we can pretty much rule out 'getting a dev to start on it'.

Really, you sound pretty selfish. You're asking somebody to put hundreds of hours into this, just so you can play a few more games on a Pandora.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a DS emulator. But I'm not going to sit here devising dastardly plans to convince somebody to try and make one. Hopefully some day they will. Until that day I'll continue playing N64, Dreamcast, SNES, Megadrive, Master System, Amiga, and Dos games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleng said:
borgqueenx said:
I wish someone would start a ds emulator...
But i dont know how to get a dev to start on it. We tried offering money but no one answered to that.
Any other ideas?

It's been stated many times in this thread that the only reason for somebody to take on such a huge task is the *desire* to do so. Offering a few hundred/couple of thousand pounds in a bounty isn't going to help, as the time put into the project will be far in excess of the remuneration. I suppose several tens of thousands of dollars might just convince somebody to give it a shot, but as nobody here is likely to put that much cash on the table, then we can pretty much rule out 'getting a dev to start on it'.

Really, you sound pretty selfish. You're asking somebody to put hundreds of hours into this, just so you can play a few more games on a Pandora.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a DS emulator. But I'm not going to sit here devising dastardly plans to convince somebody to try and make one. Hopefully some day they will. Until that day I'll continue playing N64, Dreamcast, SNES, Megadrive, Master System, Amiga, and Dos games.
yeah you're right;)
Sorry for sounding that way.
But "just so you can play a few more games on a Pandora" aint correct. i can play about 30 favorites again, and im sure it will be the emulator i use the most.
So its kinda important to me, that why im trying how we can make this attractive to a developer.

You've said it yourself that none of that stuff seems to be enough to grab their attention.
So all you can do is try doing something practical otherwise it's just another person begging without trying to do something. Not meaning to sound bad about it.
Even then it may not make any difference, but at least it shows that your trying something positive

Maybe we can work on an interface? Borgqueen, why don't we find a suitable program for making the interface, and present it to the community. Any ideas on what to use?

borgqueenx said:
But "just so you can play a few more games on a Pandora" aint correct. i can play about 30 favorites again, and im sure it will be the emulator i use the most.
So its kinda important to me, that why im trying how we can make this attractive to a developer.

In the grand scheme of things 30 games is 'a few more games'

And the point that you're *still* missing is it doesn't matter HOW many games you can play on the emulator, YOU wanting to play games is not enough to justify a DEV spending months coding and optimizing an emulator.

THERE IS NO WAY TO MAKE A DS EMULATOR ATTRACTIVE TO A DEVELOPER, short of offering TENS of THOUSANDS pounds. No begging, no telling them how badly you want it. If a anybody decides to take up the project it is because THEY will want to do it. Not because YOU or I or ANYBODY ELSE wants them to do it.

Argh, why don'y you people see that running DS games at 25% speed (that's just a guess) is not fun at all? Speeds are not going to be consistent, so games like Elite Beat Agents wont be fun. RPGs wont be fun because leveling will take a lot longer and it's just generally not going to be nice to play. Most DS emulators on the PC aren't consistently full speed and tend to have a few graphical glitches as it is.

No one is showing any interest because it's a hard console to emulate, and after all that hard work they're not going to get a playable emulator out of it. It's like trying to climb the worlds steepest mountain, but that mountain has no peak to reach.

The only thing you'd get out of it is bragging rights. What else could you do with the possibility of a slow emulator? :huh:

Tokiopop said:
Argh, why don'y you people see that running DS games at 25% speed (that's just a guess) is not fun at all? Speeds are not going to be consistent, so games like Elite Beat Agents wont be fun. RPGs wont be fun because leveling will take a lot longer and it's just generally not going to be nice to play. Most DS emulators on the PC aren't consistently full speed and tend to have a few graphical glitches as it is.

No one is showing any interest because it's a hard console to emulate, and after all that hard work they're not going to get a playable emulator out of it. It's like trying to climb the worlds steepest mountain, but that mountain has no peak to reach.

The only thing you'd get out of it is bragging rights. What else could you do with the possibility of a slow emulator? :huh:
And yet you don't give any reasons why it won't be done(as in attempted), only reasons to see what can be achieved. People climbed mountings only knowing they were high, why was that?
Personally, I don't care.
But at least it's all in one thread, not blitzing the forum.
The devs, and people not interested can just avoid the single thread.
I'm here out of interest all things Pandora not DS.
There was a good discussion about why a dev may choose to see what can be done.
And people begging wasn't in any of them though. ;)

So many people here seem to be missing a big point. A slow emulator now, probably means a fast emulator on future hardware... Surely some of the more experienced people here know this...

ndbsolar said:
So many people here seem to be missing a big point. A slow emulator now, probably means a fast emulator on future hardware... Surely some of the more experienced people here know this...
Yep, that was one of the reasons, more of why it wouldn't be a waste than why to start one to be honest, but to say it's slow therefore worthless only makes sense to the users(at the start anyway) not developers

Na-Noo said:
And yet you don't give any reasons why it won't be done(as in attempted), only reasons to see what can be achieved. People climbed mountings only knowing they were high, why was that?
Personally, I don't care.
But at least it's all in one thread, not blitzing the forum.
The devs, and people not interested can just avoid the single thread.
I'm here out of interest all things Pandora not DS.
There was a good discussion about why a dev may choose to see what can be done.
And people begging wasn't in any of them though. ;)
I never meant it can't be done, and I wouldn't mind seeing it done, I just think some people are getting a little caught up in the idea of it all. I'm just trying to get them to not expect much if it does happen. Because if it did, it's probably not going to be very playable, and some people may be disappointed.

But I'll still keep checking back here, just incase someone does show some interest.

Tokiopop said:
I never meant it can't be done, and I wouldn't mind seeing it done, I just think some people are getting a little caught up in the idea of it all. I'm just trying to get them to not expect much if it does happen. Because if it did, it's probably not going to be very playable, and some people may be disappointed.

But I'll still keep checking back here, just incase someone does show some interest.
Fair enough, don't think their feet of the ground again yet, but it will happen soon enough, prob with release of next N64 vid :lol:

I think the easiest/quickest way to get a useable DS-emulator on the pandora is by giving DesMume's main developer a pandora. That'll probably get him interested...
However, Desmume's currently not nearly fast enough, and loads the entire rom into memory, which will be a problem for the bigger games, so he'll have some interesting work to do...
I am afraid however, that desmume's engine will need a major overhaul to get to fullspeed...

I do think however, that it's perfectly possible to get the DS emulated at full speed on the pandora. The main cpu is only a 66Mhz arm processor. pandora's 10x that fast... And, it's an ARM, so virtualization could also be an option (don't know how doable that is though).
It'll be an interesting platform to emulate, but well, someone capable will need to WANT to do it...

BTW, Exophase, how long do you think a good emulation programmer would need to get the DS emulated at full speed on the pandora IF he/she would want to do it? With or without using desmume.

Full speed maybe never! Maybe not even what most would even call close to playable.
Virtualisation isn't feasible
it has a lot of custom stuff, and more than one ARM, so not nearly as easy to even emulate as you would first think
In fact Exophase has given some good input, either in this thread or another recent thread

Edit: wasn't in this thread I don't believe, but I do remember reading stuff from him in terms of DS hardware

Edit: here you go DS complexity by Exophase

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50198-virtualization/ :)

Laurencevde said:
I think the easiest/quickest way to get a useable DS-emulator on the pandora is by giving DesMume's main developer a pandora. That'll probably get him interested...

That's a tad presumptuous, unless the developer in question has already stated a specific interest in developing for Pandora (in which case he'd have probably already pre-ordered). Again you're offering hardware worth a couple of hundred pounds for a project that will take many many many many hours to complete!

*bangs his head on the wall*

OK this is the LAST time I'm going to say this so please listen:
THERE IS NO WAY TO MAKE A DEV INTERESTED IN THIS PROJECT. The only person who can generate a dev's interest is HIM OR HER SELF! No exceptions.

DesMuME has several developers and various have came and gone over the years. The main one I've talked to, zeromus, doesn't seem that interested in any more than getting it working well and as accurately as possible on high end PCs.

Back