Nintendo Ds Emulation?

Holokauston said:
Tinnus said:
N64 might be possible, at what speeds is more of an issue, easiest way I would think would be a modification of Mupen64plus and it's plugins.

Yes, I was referring to out-of-the-box PS1 :) Full speed N64 is certainly possible with good work (see Daedalus for PSP).

Yeah, I wouldn't be first in the queue to develop an emulator of one of Nintendo's two cash cows, especially on another handheld!

The Zodiac folks here remember the entire Firestorm GBA-on-Zodiac story. And then they released Firestorm anyway and Nintendo didn't care because the emulator was crap :p Now, if someone here did a *fast* DS emulator...

Last edited by a moderator:
antaresuk said:
There should be a sticky that says WAIT AND SEE WHAT PANDORA CAN EMULATE and a link to the wiki IMHO. Maybe then it would cut down on these "can pandora emulate X, when?" threads.
It might. It'd likely not do it.

People will insist on being an idiot about this even when it's made clear that <foo> isn't likely to happen for varying reasons. In spite of all of it, you still end up with people going on and on about the Pandora doing DS, N64, or DC emulation out of the box- when it's either not practical, would entail quite a bit of work, or is at or slightly beyond the theoretical limits of the machine...and it's been stated over and over that this is the case.

Why could Nintendo do? Emulators are perfectly legal providing they do not cross certain legal bounds (i.e. break copy protection, provide dumped BIOS).

All of the PC DS emulators are relatively young and unoptimized, so a direct port will result in unacceptably low speeds. To mend this would require much skill, time, and patience on the programmer's behalf; something very few people have.

All of the speculation about what it can and can't do isn't getting us anywhere; it's all just approximate guesses. Sure, you can safetly write off things like Dreamcast emulation, but we won't know with reasonable accuracy what the hardware is capable of until more devs get their mits on dev units (which they should have soon) and try some things out.

Personally, I'm not very interested in DS emulation and would rather see emulation of everything else perfected before moving into new territory.

Shiny said:
Why could Nintendo do? Emulators are perfectly legal providing they do not cross certain legal bounds (i.e. break copy protection, provide dumped BIOS).

Do some research on the Firestorm GBAz case, Nintendo apparently claims it has a pending patent (???) on emulating a portable on another portable.

Of course that doesn't stand since people had already emulated, for example, GB on Palms before Nintendo had the patent filed. But nevertheless, Nintendo has money and they can claim whatever they want about someone that bothers them (specifically, someone emulating a current mobile platform of theirs in another mobile platform); the person in question will just give up instead of paying lawyers and stuff.

Tinnus said:
Do some research on the Firestorm GBAz case, Nintendo apparently claims it has a pending patent (???) on emulating a portable on another portable. Of course that doesn't stand since people had already emulated, for example, GB on Palms before Nintendo had the patent filed. But nevertheless, Nintendo has money and they can claim whatever they want about someone that bothers them (specifically, someone emulating a current mobile platform of theirs in another mobile platform); the person in question will just give up instead of paying lawyers and stuff.
At least Firestorm claims that Nintendo told them to stop. They haven't exactly been true to their word in the past. It could have been a stalling tactic on their part (since they already had and continued to take preorders).

If Nintendo really did care then it's probably only because it was announced as a commercial emulator. Nintendo never told me to stop doing gpSP. Although that was a couple years later GBA games were still being made and sold.

Exophase said:
At least Firestorm claims that Nintendo told them to stop. They haven't exactly been true to their word in the past. It could have been a stalling tactic on their part (since they already had and continued to take preorders).

If Nintendo really did care then it's probably only because it was announced as a commercial emulator. Nintendo never told me to stop doing gpSP. Although that was a couple years later GBA games were still being made and sold.

They actually stopped Gambit Studios ( www.gambitstudios.com ) from releasing a GBC emulator for PalmOS under the same stupid argument. If you had done gpSP before (or shortly after) the DS was released, they would probably have got you as well.

Also, I think the Zodiac was even more problematic because it was simply very good for emulating GBA because (at the time) it was the only handheld with compatible gaming controls (action buttons, L, R) apart from Nintendos, AND it had a 480x320 screen which is a perfect 2x for the GBA.

Shiny said:
Why could Nintendo do?
If you made a DS emu, and Nintendo sent YOU a letter threatening legal action, you'd take the emulator offline. No questions.

Unless you're either very, very rich or stupid... or both..

teggun said:
Shiny said:
Why could Nintendo do?
If you made a DS emu, and Nintendo sent YOU a letter threatening legal action, you'd take the emulator offline. No questions.

Unless you're either very, very rich or stupid... or both..

Or you make the Emulator under a alias and don't take real credit and make it open source with multiple contributors and so on and lower the risk from the start that Nintendo can find someone to attack and even if the attack you others can take up the project under GNU and so on making it next to impossible for Nintendo to bury it.

A_SN said:
Iorgy77 said:
Why emulate a machine you can still buy and is very cheap?
Ask people who are excited about GBA emulators. CAUSE YOU DON'T WANT TO CARRY TWO EQUALLY SIZED MACHINES AROUND WITH YOU WHEN YOU COULD HAVE JUST ONE THAT DOES THE JOB FOR BOTH. Troll.

+ 1

The real reason is most people here are too cheap to buy the real deal as well as a Pandora and so just want to pirate things.

Orkie said:
The real reason is most people here are too cheap to buy the real deal as well as a Pandora and so just want to pirate things.
You don't actually know that, so why don't you keep your denigrating comments to yourself. I would expect that a good number of the people interested enough in DS emulation already own one and the games they're interested in as well. As opposed to them holding out for a platform that costs over 2x what a DS + flashcart would so they could pirate DS games.

Exactly right.

In fact I would imagine a LOT of Pandora owners will already own a DS. I have a DS Lite, about 15 games and an old (but functional) flash cart.

But I would still like to see DS emulation (but it's also pretty low on the totem pole for me - I mostly want 8bit/16bit stuff), just because it's nice to have one machine that does many things, and also because it's just fascinating to see the "impossible" happen. Who wouldn't be impressed to see DS games running on Pandora? Just for the geek factor alone! :p

I would like GBA and possibly DS emulation because both of those devices broke for me. (the GBA's shoulder buttons stopped functioning, and the infamous faulty DS Lite hinges completely broke the top screen off a few months after the warranty expired)

edit: oops, I for some reason thought that the last post was a May and not an April... unbump this if you wish

waffles said:
I already have a ds, and i would like to see it emulated so i can sell it.

Honestly......................Even if the Nintendo Ds is emulated I am certain it will not be great. Think about it, your emulating 2 screens on 1. Why would you sell your ds?

Spadoof said:
waffles said:
I already have a ds, and i would like to see it emulated so i can sell it.

Honestly......................Even if the Nintendo Ds is emulated I am certain it will not be great. Think about it, your emulating 2 screens on 1. Why would you sell your ds?

thats why i said i would like too.
anyway now that i think about it paint and amplitude are both pretty awesome.
but if great emulation was possible, then it would be a tough choice.
but this raises another question- would a ds emulator be able to run ds homebrew, such as win2ds?

Brandon Orban said:
Google DS for PSP has this group got shut down by now I don't think so.
That's probably because Nintendo doesn't give two shits about someone attempting to emulate a (partially) touch-screen handheld on a (completely) non-touch-screen handheld.

Vorporeal said:
Brandon Orban said:
Google DS for PSP has this group got shut down by now I don't think so.
That's probably because Nintendo doesn't give two shits about someone attempting to emulate a (partially) touch-screen handheld on a (completely) non-touch-screen handheld.

I agree, why try to stop something that allready is doomed? There is no doubt that the Pandora is the ultimate platform for a potential DS emulator!

Back