Nintendo Ds Emulation?

i own a ds, but i dont own any retail games.
that looks bad, i know.

however, i never would have even bothered buying a ds if i didnt know that it was possible to pirate games. so nintendo have only profited (£100) from me.

How the hell could you play DS games comfortably on the Pandora, u have to turn the thing and how can u reach the buttons, if u want to play games like on the DS

DTH said:
How the hell could you play DS games comfortably on the Pandora, u have to turn the thing and how can u reach the buttons, if u want to play games like on the DS
How about if you placed the screens next to each other, rather than under each other?
BTW, no need to curse, some people find "hell" offensive!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you think about it, we have two screens. The pandora has one and you tv is the other.

I know the default setting is going to be (I assume, if I am wrong don't yell at me) that when the tv is functioning the screen of the Pandy is off since the tv out will simply send the data to your tv instead of the screen, with a slightly diff resolution of course.

What if the emulator kept the screen on and used the TV for the top screen and the touch/pandy screen for the bottom. Depending on the game this might work out really well. Would def be a different gaming experience.

I don't know if the video card would have two monitor support or how the diff video feeds work in the typical DS rom. This is just a random thought I had and may be the best thing ever, or simply not be possible. Anyone with more knowledge of the Pandora tv out hardware feel free to chime in.

There are all sorts of options for DS screen emulation that would cover most DS games. Here are some examples:

1) Side by side.
2) Stacked vertically (holding Pandora rotated vertically)
3) Stacked in center of screen (small DS screens holding Pandora normally)
4) Large bottom DS screen, small top DS screen - can be flipped

1, 3, 4 would be good for most games, 2 would be good for those games that only use the stylus. 4 would be great for DS games where the one screen is used very little in-game.

SOLGarion said:
Well if you think about it, we have two screens. The pandora has one and you tv is the other.

I know the default setting is going to be (I assume, if I am wrong don't yell at me) that when the tv is functioning the screen of the Pandy is off since the tv out will simply send the data to your tv instead of the screen, with a slightly diff resolution of course.

What if the emulator kept the screen on and used the TV for the top screen and the touch/pandy screen for the bottom. Depending on the game this might work out really well. Would def be a different gaming experience.

I don't know if the video card would have two monitor support or how the diff video feeds work in the typical DS rom. This is just a random thought I had and may be the best thing ever, or simply not be possible. Anyone with more knowledge of the Pandora tv out hardware feel free to chime in.
Pandora's tv-out is supposed to be independent from the LCD, i.e. they can each display something different, so your idea should be possible.

Wouldn't that cause slow-down because the Pandora would need to render for two screens rather than just one?

That is why i wanted some of the programmers and developers to weigh in on the possibility. If DS emulation runs say 80% (arbitrary number) then it would be playable for a large portion of games. If using your tv as an additional screen takes x% more processing power then we could see a workable ds emulator that would be non-playable via my idea. Don't know how much processing power/ video card power or whatever is needed., but if it can render two screens, that is they way I would like to play ds games. Anyone out there who is willing to give it a shot?

Is the DSP usable as a regular processor as well? Could it then be used for emulating the ARM7 of the DS while the Cortex A8 handles the ARM9?

...or am I misunderstanding something >:/

Is it potentially possible - Yes

Will it ever run full speed - No, but no one who actually knows the hardware from a developer stand point has said anything yet.

To be honest this discussion has allot of fluff in it, speculation is fun while we wait though so I can't even get mad about it. The consensus it right, but only to some minimal degree. The Pandora can supply dual video output on screen (correct me if im mistaking), the difficulty in coding does coding for two processors and utilizing there rendering methods under our one (but pretty powerful) processor.

Some people like to see emulation of powerful/complex systems just for the spectacle of seeing if its possible. So why are some of you guys sound sound offended even by the mere thought of emulation of certain systems. It's totally fine giving constructive commentary in regards to the plausibility of emulation of certain systems; however we honestly don't need any whining from anybody about a subject they don't really know too much about. That is what the PSP forums are for (not really...but would be surprised), go there.

I would like GBA and possibly DS emulation because both of those devices broke for me. (the GBA's shoulder buttons stopped functioning, and the infamous faulty DS Lite hinges completely broke the top screen off a few months after the warranty expired)

what flavor of gba was that? i have the same problem with my gb micro... but im holding off buying a replacement and getting a pandora instead.

gibberish said:
that looks bad, i know.

however, i never would have even bothered buying a ds if i didnt know that it was possible to pirate games. so nintendo have only profited (£100) from me.
actually, they actually LOSE money when they sell consoles, it costs more to produce them than you pay for them. they make money on their games, and licensing others.

Snu said:
that looks bad, i know.

actually, they actually LOSE money when they sell consoles, it costs more to produce them than you pay for them. they make money on their games, and licensing others.
isnt that only for the first 2 years or so of a console?
im positive the 360 and wii are well beyond that, and would assume the ds is.

waffles said:
isnt that only for the first 2 years or so of a console?
im positive the 360 and wii are well beyond that, and would assume the ds is.
I don't know about the DS, but the Wii was profitable from the beginning, even though the 360 and the PS3 were taking a loss.

Back