Next Pandora Release?

Ark

Still Fresh
I was wondering when the next :pandora1: release (if any) was expected to be?

I know it hasn't been determined yet, but any estimations, plans, rumors, anything?

Ark said:

I know it hasn't been determined yet, but any estimations, plans, rumors, anything?
At the rate we're going we'll get our refunds back to pay for the pre-order when the pandora 2 is being released. Honestly though, if they were supposed be shipped at the end of November and are now probably delayed until January the original March deadline for batch 2 will more than likely be mid next summer. This of course is all assumptions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wolfspirit said:
Ark said:

At the rate we're going we'll get our refunds back to pay for the pre-order when the pandora 2 is being released. Honestly though, if they were supposed be shipped at the end of November and are now probably delayed until January the original March deadline for batch 2 will more than likely be mid next summer. This of course is all assumptions.

Well, thats dissapointing, I was hoping batch 2 was gonna be realeased in march. :( (But mabie it will be...)

Thanks for the feed-back. ;)

I bet there will be a sell of Pandoras from people who cancelled. Maybe I can get one sooner that way. Man the second batch is a long ways off...

If I understand MWestons last post and the info regarding the keyboard optimizing correctly, you can assume, that you can't extrapolate the difficulties, that are present now, into the future.
When the process is tuned and the prototyping is finalized, future batches will be far easier to handle.
My suggestion is not to make any assumption about future delays based on todays data.

Stay tuned, and be prepared to order from the second batch :)

The way I interpret the info from MWeston's update there won't be any obstacles to mass production as soon as they have found a way to put the Pandoras together efficiently. This will also be the point in time when they will manufacture the units for the majority of the people who pre-ordered from batch 1, as they are not willing to produce a larger number of units without efficient mehtods.

So unless you are among the first 400 or so, you will probably get yout device only a couple of weeks before people from batch 2 receive theirs. Maybe the time difference will be even less. I do not see a reason why they would stall production for months once they know how to do it.

MiniSinisterMinister said:
The way I interpret the info from MWeston's update there won't be any obstacles to mass production as soon as they have found a way to put the Pandoras together efficiently. This will also be the point in time when they will manufacture the units for the majority of the people who pre-ordered from batch 1, as they are not willing to produce a larger number of units without efficient mehtods.

So unless you are among the first 400 or so, you will probably get yout device only a couple of weeks before people from batch 2 receive theirs. Maybe the time difference will be even less. I do not see a reason why they would stall production for months once they know how to do it.
If what you say is true, then I would be truly pissed off. I pre-ordered in the first batch to be IN the first batch of people... not to tag along slowly before the 2nd batch. If I knew that was true I would have saved my money and then waited until my income tax check to buy the pandora. I hope what you are saying is WAY off from the truth of the matter.

I think a lot of us pre-ordered the first batch in case there was any reason why a second batch wouldn't be made or this was our only chance or something. Although we knew there would be possibilities of a second batch, it did always depend on the progress of the first batch. Either way you'll have a Pandora in the end. Its hardly a case of "FIRST! HA!" or anything. The hope was to get it as soon a possible and get one at all, rather than wait until some time in March.

The real reason behind the pre-orders in September was to find out whether there was a real demand for the Pandora and to raise money for the production. In effect, you helped an upstart company with a small interest-free payment in advance - an act of benevolence :) Although their sales-pitch was "get it before Christmas and anyone else" and this has probably attracted a lot of people who just wanted it as soon as possible and do not care much about the help the upstart aspect.

I do not know, whether I am right (I hope not) but I guess that they assuemed to figure everything out in November, mass produce 3800 units in early December, take a holiday break and resume production in January. I do not see a reason besides the holidays why they should take such a long break between batch 1 and 2. As soon as they have figured out everything, they can start mass production. If they do not start the production of most of the Pandoras from batch 1 before early next year, it won't be long before they can also ship batch 2 Imo.

The way I interpret the info from MWeston's update there won't be any obstacles to mass production as soon as they have found a way to put the Pandoras together efficiently.
So, the only thing stopping mass production is production? ;)

Nothing more than could have been expected in one sense I guess.

Theres another great incentive for preordering which I think alot of people forget.
If the Pandora arrives and you decide it isn't for you, or theres some issues you can't be bothered to deal with then you can stick it on ebay and charge an extortionate amount for it :D... And then charge an even more extortioante price for the postage :D
(Just kidding really, but I wouldn't be suprised if there were alot of people planning this)

The way I interpret the info from MWeston's update there won't be any obstacles to mass production as soon as they have found a way to put the Pandoras together efficiently. This will also be the point in time when they will manufacture the units for the majority of the people who pre-ordered from batch 1, as they are not willing to produce a larger number of units without efficient methods.
That is is all things go as planned. Real life lesson, they never do! The pandora team probably did not think they where going to run into this many problems.

We know:

- Problem with the LCD screens ( manufacture can not keep up with demand ).
-> This problem alone can be solved in a month, or keep nagging on for a long period.
- Soldering problems
-> In theory if they solve this, production can go faster.
- Still no final cases
-> In other words, its unsure that the production will go as planned.
- Keyboard pad
-> No final pad in production.
- Finance ( bank & paypal )
-> All this reordering is putting a real strain on the projects cash flow. There is a constant amount of money in limbo going between Craigex, and the customer. So instead of having a easy cash flow of a few 100.000pounds on there account, they are even worse off at this moment.

Did i miss anything?

How many people have payed already? Seeing as its now a bank transfer, i don't expect the amount of people to be extremely high. This might also be the reason why they started with the UK customers. Its way more easy for them to do a bank transfer, then it is for us EU, US, worldwide customers.

And as there is no Credit Card system active ( only in about 6 to 9 days from this post date ), thats another bundle of money waiting. Paypal? Nowp. Paypal will block the transfer as there is no expected 20 days delivery of the product.

In theory the second batch can go more easy, but thats assuming no hiccups happen like the nubs not being available anymore. All it takes is one item to be unavailable, and production is stuck. Thats the bad thing about just in time ordering.

The board soldering problem is another one that crept up. The case we all assumed to have been in production already, what its not. The pads problem from the past. The neon bug from the past... Whats next? No speakers? No Battery's? There is already talk about the battery cable...

Its a real mess. If people see there first batch Pandora end of December, they can count themselves extreme lucky. And do not expect the full 3800 to be ready and delivered. Think more end of January ( at best! ).

I'm glade there is at leased some communication now. At leased we know where we stand. But, seeing as we are almost 2 months from the ordering period, and there is not even one finished Pandora ( almost finished with a temporary case does not count for me ).

MarkoeZ said:
uhm, i follow the forum quite obsessively, but soldering problems? that's new? (link?) :blink:
He refers to MWestons update ;)

Info Index(see signature)
-->MWeston

mali said:
MarkoeZ said:
uhm, i follow the forum quite obsessively, but soldering problems? that's new? (link?) :blink:
He refers to MWestons update ;)

Info Index(see signature)
-->MWeston

damn, too many posts here. but slightly uncomfortable that chip might get one WEEKS before they START shipping. Ah i think i can handle another month (or 2 : S )

Benjiro said:
- Problem with the LCD screens ( manufacture can not keep up with demand ).
-> This problem alone can be solved in a month, or keep nagging on for a long period.
- Soldering problems
-> In theory if they solve this, production can go faster.
- Still no final cases
-> In other words, its unsure that the production will go as planned.
- Keyboard pad
-> No final pad in production.
- Finance ( bank & paypal )
-> All this reordering is putting a real strain on the projects cash flow. There is a constant amount of money in limbo going between Craigex, and the customer. So instead of having a easy cash flow of a few 100.000pounds on there account, they are even worse off at this moment.
The only one of those things that is an actual problem is the LCD panel supply. The rest is just part of gearing up for full speed production combined with your own misguided delusions of doom. Even the one real problem - the LCD panels - is just a matter of waiting for the parts to arrive. I do not know why you are so convinced that everything is going horribly wrong, but the problems exist only in your head.

Chip said:
The only one of those things that is an actual problem is the LCD panel supply. The rest is just part of gearing up for full speed production combined with your own misguided delusions of doom. Even the one real problem - the LCD panels - is just a matter of waiting for the parts to arrive. I do not know why you are so convinced that everything is going horribly wrong, but the problems exist only in your head.
Chip, i'll put it in simple terms. Expected shipping date where originally mid to end November.

Now there is a claim that its going to ship in December. Based on the available data, the chances that the entire 3800 order will be done = impossible.

In other words, this project has been slowly stringing people along, with the carrot on a string.

I'm pointing out that people don't need to get there hopes up of having a Pandora in there hands any time soon.

And to be honest, i'm getting fed up with the "there is no problem" attitude. Its rather clear already that the expected time schedule they originally had can't be made.

So i take it a bit personal when somebody tels me that "the problems exist only in my head". Is it so hard to tell people the truth? Tell them, sorry, but a more realistic delivery date for the entire 3800 Pandora's will be 2009.

Using just a bit of common sense instead of "take a smoke brother, its going to be fiieeeeeen man", that kind of hippie attitude will work for some of the true believers here. But guess what. Most people are not in a religion or high on joints, but are expecting a product that they payed for way in advance.

The LCD problem is just one of many problems this project has had to endure. At this moment the LCD's are very slowly being delivered. In case you did not notice, what month the following is? O yea, December. In other words, lots and lots of gadgets are going to exchange hands. Those same gadgets that might use the same LCD's the Pandora is using. And as the Pandora is a small order, guess what clients get high priority. Combine that with holidays, and yea. Don't expect to see all those 3800 LCD's at that timeframe. Sorry mate, thats business logic.

Hell Chip, i'm even willing to put a bet with you, that the entire 3800 units will ONLY be completely shipped at the end of January 2009 or later. So yea, i'm not the harbinger of doom like you make me out, but i'm a realistic person who has seen his share off business and productions gone wrong.

Now we see a post of ED, saying, o wait, any exchange rate problem, extra costs of preordering, well, the 256MB upgrade will cover that. Yet, what have we seen in the past. The nice little post that nobody was going to get any extra costs. Contradictions.

To put it simply, they where better off first getting the final designs out the door, getting the sample's in, and finished, BEFORE starting with the pre-orders, so they had a realistic timetable, and don't put people off into ordering again.

Hell, how much of a amateur project this is, when they know they are going to refund people, and have yet to setup a Credit Card system. And you know what, the reason this way of working pisses me off the most, is because thats the exact same way my old employer used to deal with things. The end result being projects overtime, over budget, and a whole lot of other crap. Pre-selling the product without any idea if its possible to deliver in the expected time frame, but they did gladly bill people in advance. Sounds familiar?

So yea, like i said before. This project is being handled on a amateur level. And using this hippie attitude from how there are no problem gets on people's nerves fast.

Hell, how long ago has it been that we have seen any feedback from the finished samples? Where are the video's? MK2 board finished? Ship a few to the developers, and let here rip, and get active posting video's. O wait... No, lets not do that, and lets not show anything expect maybe one or two things every ones in a while.

You know, the most "interesting" post this entire month has been MWestons update. Most of the other official have been mostly a answer without a answer... People complain about it. O wait, here come the rabbit fanboys to tear up all those non believers who can't see the rain of information in those half backed official answers. When people need to say: "Its better then nothing". Yea, thats a rather good idea that the communication is lacking. So yea, i personally applaud MWestons for a informative post!

But hey... Its all in people minds. There are no problems. All is fine. There are not the Jedi's you are looking for... Chip waving his hand, and is using the force... Next comes the chock hold if i keep writing :)

Fail

I think most people knew what they were in for you should just read more.
In my opinion it was risky and anyone could have seen that.
Your just pissed from what i read is because an item's release got pushed back longer, have you ever waited months for a game just for it to come in to your possession the next year i have it sucks but I live with it.
Also the crew have given us valid reasons for these delays not like a large company that would just say nothing at all. Hell they even added the extra RAM at no cost for one of the problems, what more do you want man?

Ark said:

It's the exact second after your deceased corpse is buried six feet deep under a tree.

CandidStan said:
Ark said:

It's the exact second after your deceased corpse is buried six feet deep under a tree.

I was wondering when Ark's burial was expected to be?

Back