Pandora Wireless Chip

HacDan

Still Fresh
As the topic says, I was wondering if anyone could actually give any information on the Wireless chip inside the Pandora. Rumors are saying that it is a WL1251 TI Chip, but nothing confirmed. Maybe the information cannot be shared yet? Was more of a curiosity question. I know this has been brought up before, but from what I've read it hasn't been answered or confirmed. If it has, feel free to delete the topic and I'll go back to the search function.

I'am sure it has been discussed but can't find anything myself other than some photos of them

http://www.openpandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=2&Itemid=2&lang=en&limitstart=86

It is, yes.
Sourcecode for the driver should also be included in the GIT (http://git.openpandora.org)

I am under the impression that hacking wifi networks works better with some antennas than others, ie. some have better drivers or some such. Something about injecting packets? anyways, I've never had any luck with my MBP which has some broadcom chip.
Anyone knpw how good this chip would be for ...wardriving....?

Don't think you'll get much help with that question here, I'm afraid.

El Jefe said:
I am under the impression that hacking wifi networks works better with some antennas than others, ie. some have better drivers or some such. Something about injecting packets? anyways, I've never had any luck with my MBP which has some broadcom chip.
The circumvention of encryption to gain access to secured networks is illegal everywhere, afaik. Please don't discuss it here.

Last edited by a moderator:
isn't wardriving just collecting SSID's?

Cracking the scurity is illegal though, unless you're measuring the safety of your own network for safety/scientific purposes.

Wardriving is just collecting SSID's/GPS Cords of where they are found, but that was honestly not my interest in finding out the wifi chip. I would like to be able to use the Pandora as an Access Point for file sharing on the go. I know that this would give the Pandora the ability to do other things mentioned throughout the forums, but having the ability to access monitor mode or even just the ability to packet inject with the wireless driver can have other uses besides cracking wireless encryption.

::EDIT:: Two left thumbs >.<

yeah... I would use it to... compulsively check the security of my own network... right? heh

I hope all of the users that ever touch a Pandora use the webbrowser to access websites sites of which they are of legal age and that do not contain information that could be used for malicious intent, if not the functionality of the browser should be removed completely to fend of the users of malicious or illegal websites.

Wait a second...

HacDan said:
Wardriving is just collecting SSID's/GPS Cords of where they are found, but that was honestly not my interest in finding out the wifi chip. I would like to be able to use the Pandora as an Access Point for file sharing on the go. I know that this would give the Pandora the ability to do other things mentioned throughout the forums, but having the ability to access monitor mode or even just the ability to packet inject with the wireless driver can have other uses besides cracking wireless encryption.

::EDIT:: Two left thumbs >.<

The HTC Dream uses the TI WL1251B, and I can confirm it supports both connecting to and hosting Ad Hoc connections. Whether this works on the Pandora is dependent on the OS and the driver DJ built. But, the hardware IS capable of doing it.

well, ad-hoc isn't the same as an AP.

Some chips can act as a real AP, so any client can connect to it, like the wii for example won't work with an ad-hoc network, i think it's the same story with the DS.

GizmoTheGreen said:
Cracking the scurity is illegal though, unless you're measuring the safety of your own network for safety/scientific purposes.

It's illegal unless you have sought and been granted permission from the network admin (e.g. if the password has been forgotten, etc)

In 95% of cases, if you have forgotten the password, you can normally reach around the rear of the router and press the reset button to revert the password to the default - no need to crack it.

Its upto you what you do with your Pandora, but discussion here about cracking secured networks will be dealth with via banning the appropriate users and hiding the posts, so don't do it.

El Jefe said:

WarDRIVING! I havn't done that in years!
A macbook has excellent range and pickup for networks.
Just grab a cheap USB network card which has an antenna on it.
You don't need anything fancy to pickup networks, and if you want to try sniff out the password, I think the pandora could be a great way too! I hope someone ports over a packet sniffer! I'll leave my pandora hiding somewhere sniffing away until it cracks a few WEP keys for me!

There are several things being tossed around here - personally I would love it if the Pandora could be put into Master (a.k.a. AP or Host) mode and actually be a mobile access point. (I'd share out my phone's internet sometimes. The software side would be really easy if the hardware/drivers could do it). This would of course be perfectly legal. (Assuming you respect the frequency bands in your location, etc. Just like the normal Managed mode) Monitor mode, with or without packet injection is a separate issue, and one that many here seem to object to even discussing. I can sorta respect that. Ad-hoc mode is kinda like AP mode light, and as mentioned some things don't work with it.

Unfortunately as far as I can google the chip in the Pandora can not be put into Master mode - at least not yet. Hopefully this is a driver and not a chip issue, and could be fixed eventually.

Back