Next Pandora Release?

Benjiro said:
Hell Chip, i'm even willing to put a bet with you, that the entire 3800 units will ONLY be completely shipped at the end of January 2009 or later. So yea, i'm not the harbinger of doom like you make me out, but i'm a realistic person who has seen his share off business and productions gone wrong.
They most likely won't all ship this year. I haven't claimed they would. I very specifically didn't give any dates in my latest update because any time we say "We hope to have X done by Y", people like you take that as a guarantee and post rambling diatribes about how unprofessional we are and how we can't keep "promised" timeframes.

I find it particularly difficult to understand your anger and confusion over minor delays since you claim to have "Seen your share" of production projects. As complex consumer electronics development projects go, a mere one month delay is excellent. Considering that there are literally only a handful of people working on this with a budget of next to nothing (compared to a Sony or Asus sized project), it's beyond belief.

In September, when preorders were set up and we said we planned to start shipping in November, that was our best estimate based on progress at that time. As problems have slowed progress a bit, we have kept you all abreast of them. We have not kept anything "secret". When I say "Most of these things are not really problems", it is because they are not. None of them jeopardize the project as a whole. None of them besides the LCD panel supply are even have the potential to cause any further delay. The fact that you do see these issues as serious problems is due to your lack of experience with electronics design and manufacturing. The only problem here is your perception of the facts.

Perhaps if we had just done what GPH did with the Wiz - Push back the ship date by three months and claim it was to "change the menus" - I wouldn't have to be explaining all of this to you.

It would have been a lot easier to come up with some lame excuse and then say nothing until the Pandora shipped, but you guys said you wanted to be involved. You keep saying you want more details and more updates. Well, that's what we've been giving you. I'm sorry if the rolling crisis that is new product development is scary to some of you, but you asked for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm as excited as ever. My enthusiasm hasn't waned one eight bit byte. =)

I think it's fair to say that we can expect the second Pandora release sometime after the first has shipped =P

Also, a man walked in to a bar and said "ouch".

Thanks Kly.

It won't be possible to keep everyone content, but the percentage has raised. Keep up informing us, it is very appreciated :)

Benjiro does have a good point amidst that rant though :D
AM I right in guessing none of the Devs seem to have been shipped a Mk2 board yet? (Or are they all being tied up with writing/recompiling the various OS's?)
As far as I know EvilDragon is still waiting for his one, and thats the stated reason for the complete lack of videos of late isn't it?

I'm guessing it was a Mk2 board showcased in Turkey (And incidently did anyone notice that the Wiz STILL has 2 Dpads in those pics?!?!?!), so does that mean we can expect same funky promo vids soon?

maxSteiner said:
Benjiro does have a good point amidst that rant though :D
AM I right in guessing none of the Devs seem to have been shipped a Mk2 board yet? (Or are they all being tied up with writing/recompiling the various OS's?)
As far as I know EvilDragon is still waiting for his one, and thats the stated reason for the complete lack of videos of late isn't it?

I'm guessing it was a Mk2 board showcased in Turkey (And incidently did anyone notice that the Wiz STILL has 2 Dpads in those pics?!?!?!), so does that mean we can expect same funky promo vids soon?
Wrong.

What part? You do realise one word posts are tantamount to spam posting and considered VERY bad forum ettiquate in most places don't you? :D
Just a little more detail and it might have been a useful post.

maxSteiner said:
What part? You do realise one word posts are tantamount to spam posting and considered VERY bad forum ettiquate in most places don't you? :D
Just a little more detail and it might have been a useful post.
I hate writing, so I try to put info in the smallest possible footprint.
Wrong is the opposite of right. Look at the sentence where you've said "am I right?"
and you've got it ;)
ED has got his board(as I posted some days ago), and in the new Translations Thread there is more info.

Ok, so rather than meaning my entire post was wrong, you mean I was wrong in one part of it, that is assuming EvilDragon had yet to recieve his Mk2.
Have all the core Devs recieved theirs?

BUT I wasn't wrong about it being a mk2 in Turkey?
Or was I wrong in that too?

Thanks for the tiny nugget of info, if only you could have said that in your first post, but then I suppose you wouldn't have been able to act all superior and put me in my place then...

Right off to read the translation thread, thanks again :D

Edit:=======>Wow there is alot of useful info in that translation post thanks!
Now I know to read the translation posts before asking questions :D

maxSteiner said:
Ok, so rather than meaning my entire post was wrong, you mean I was wrong in one part of it, that is assuming EvilDragon had yet to recieve his Mk2.
Have all the core Devs recieved theirs?
See above mentioned thread.

BUT I wasn't wrong about it being a mk2 in Turkey?
Or was I wrong in that too?

Don't know, never heard, link?

Thanks for the tiny nugget of info, if only you could have said that in your first post, but then I suppose you wouldn't have been able to act all superior and put me in my place then...

I like your style. It's very refreshing :lol:

Right off to read the translation thread, thanks again :D

Damn that took a while to find (turns out all I had to do was look in the Wiz forum though...)

http://www.gp2xtr.com/agallery.asp?id=compex_1108

Thats all the pics, but the only one which concerns us is:

P1040358.jpg

Which I am assuming is a mk2 based solely on the colour :p

maxSteiner said:
Damn that took a while to find (turns out all I had to do was look in the Wiz forum though...)

Thats all the pics, but the only one which concerns us is:

P1040358.jpg

Which I am assuming is a mk2 based solely on the colour :p

Wow, thank you so much, I totally missed that :eek:
Judging from the component placement it's definitely MK2.

maxSteiner said:

Lmfao at the pandora section of that show, its like a car manufacturer displaying only the engine at a car show alongside a photoshop picture of the full car XD

P1040354.jpg

EDIT: included the pic

I wasn't actually sure if I should post it or not, I mean I only stumbled across it on one of my Forum tralls by accident...

This is a VERY good example of why forums aren't really the best way to distrubute information isn't it :D
Honestly don't see why things like this don't get posted on OpenPandora.org, it'd put a heck of alot of peoples minds at rest, and theres about 10000% more chance of casual browsers finding it!

Squidge said:
mali said:
Wow, thank you so much, I totally missed that :eek:
Judging from the component placement it's definitely MK2.

Isn't that the same one as MWeston posted here on Oct 23? http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...mp;#entry661504

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa99/MW...n_2007/dev1.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa99/MW...n_2007/dev2.jpg

Damnit I missed those ones too!

for all those people stressed by the slight delays the Pandora is experiencing, you might want to pre-order something more dependable, may I suggest a copy of "Duke Nukem forever"?, or how about a nice Cherrypal computer?, or maybe you would like to develop for some big reliable company like Microsoft, you could pre-order a phone running windows mobile 7 and develop for that, or maybe just relax and watch Harry potter and the half blood prince over Christmas.......

oh!

hang on!

oh yes! THEY HAVE ALL BEEN DELAYED!!!!

get over it

:p

hobbyman II said:
for all those people stressed by the slight delays the Pandora is experiencing, you might want to pre-order something more dependable, may I suggest a copy of "Duke Nukem forever"?, or how about a nice Cherrypal computer?, or maybe you would like to develop for some big reliable company like Microsoft, you could pre-order a phone running windows mobile 7 and develop for that, or maybe just relax and watch Harry potter and the half blood prince over Christmas.......

oh!

hang on!

get over it

Pick up a copy of "Chinese Democracy" tomorrow. Now that is a delay. But it is here now so all is well?

Chinese Democracy

hobbyman II said:

oh!

hang on!

get over it

Um.... this isn't me hating on the Pandora, but it is worth pointing out that NONE of those would require you to pay the FULL amount upfrount.

welll....lemmeeeee see....

pre-order game from shop .....cash up front....yup!!!
pre order video from shop ......oh look....cash up front....yup
pre order Cherrypal ........umm! they expect you to pay in advance for that too....

the operative word was "pre-order", tbh I don`t know of anything you can pre-order in the commercial world where they take your word that if they get the item in stock they will trust you come back and buy it, at the least they need a decent deposit, in most places I trade they almost always want the full amount up front.

hobbyman II said:
welll....lemmeeeee see....

pre-order game from shop .....cash up front....yup!!!
pre order video from shop ......oh look....cash up front....yup
pre order Cherrypal ........umm! they expect you to pay in advance for that too....

the operative word was "pre-order", tbh I don`t know of anything you can pre-order in the commercial world where they take your word that if they get the item in stock they will trust you come back and buy it, at the least they need a decent deposit, in most places I trade they almost always want the full amount up front.
When have you ever had to pay full price for a video game preorder? Or a video? Plus the amount of money involved in those two are like $5 USD vs $330. It's quite a significant difference. I understand that this is no one's fault, but damn is it frustrating. I still haven't even been able to pay yet thanks to GBAXs credit card problem. I'm really frustrated but the worst part is convincing my dad that this isn't a scam, and that he should still let me use his credit card. I'm sure I'm not the only person in this position.

Back