Sim Cards?

polkunus

this seems extremely improbable on the :pandora1: , but it would literally complete the pandora as an everything device. Yes i know it has Voip, however i was wondering if there is any way a person would hardmod the pandora, smack a sim card slot on it, throw a receiver on it, and make a simple phone app on the pandora... ya it might be stupid, but i want to know if its possible. + it would be pretty cool.

trooper said:
Just get a cheap bluetooth enabled phone and tether it via bluetooth to the Pandora, Mobile internet via a nice big screen.

Trooper
i really wish there was a sticky that have these unique ideas that are so arcane... but bringing the phone with you kind of defeats the purpose(except for the big screen) of the idea in the first place..... lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming skype works on Pandora ...

... you could get your own skype phone number and use that. Then you wouldn`t need a mobile.

You`d need to make sure you have net access everywhere though, probably with a 3G something or other

polkunus said:
this seems extremely improbable on the :pandora1: , but it would literally complete the pandora as an everything device. Yes i know it has Voip, however i was wondering if there is any way a person would hardmod the pandora, smack a sim card slot on it, throw a receiver on it, and make a simple phone app on the pandora... ya it might be stupid, but i want to know if its possible. + it would be pretty cool.
I did a thread about this a while back, asking the exact same question, but it's not possible.

Can we have GPS? What about a camera? Will it blend? Will it have a search function?

Squidge said:
Next you'll be asking for a GPS and a Camera ;)
Why not?
All you'd have to do is smack on a webcam, slap a GPS module in there, and have somebody throw together some software for it ;)

I hope they can get the toaster functionality built-in, I believe it's just a matter of overclocking enough so it gets hot! :)

Tinnus said:
I hope they can get the toaster functionality built-in, I believe it's just a matter of overclocking enough so it gets hot! :)
Don't forget it is a clamshell, so it should be perfectly possible to use it as a sandwich toastie maker, especially if you use open sauce.

Response to the OT/joke GPS posts: There are plenty of bluetooth GPS units available for ~$70. I've got one and it works quite well with my n800.

On topic: You could get a GrandCentral account and have a single number that forwards calls to *both* your cell phone and your VOIP phone. Then you just give out one number and use whichever one you want to. The incoming calls are free on your VOIP client, because they're considered VOIP calls, I believe it's also free to use with a landline depending on your billing. You can also use the GC site to initiate free calls.

If you really wanted mobile internet without wifi, and without a cell phone, you could get one of those usb modem dongles.

emil10001 said:
Response to the OT/joke GPS posts: There are plenty of bluetooth GPS units available for ~$70. I've got one and it works quite well with my n800.
But then it won't be in the Pandora will it? Just like a have a sim card converter that is not inside the Pandora. I call it a "mobile phone". Give it a few years and it might catch on.

Pandora has USB, wifi and bluetooth - there are lots of things that can be set up externally. So? That's not really the question.

The reason many threads go off topic is because on topic is not particularly worthwhile.

emil10001 said:
On topic: You could get a GrandCentral account
GrandCentral, from Google. Which of course means its still in beta ;) , and more of your personal data going through their servers. Also only available to those in the USA at the moment.
jakshep2 said:
TaG said:
especially if you use open sauce.
lol, "open sauce".Thank you very much. I'm here all week.

i wasn't looking forward to a built in sim card reader or what not... i was looking forward to alternatives without wifi. there are already toasters that run on usb btw

polkunus said:
i wasn't looking forward to a built in sim card reader or what not... i was looking forward to alternatives without wifi. there are already toasters that run on usb btw
An alternative without wifi is bluetooth, which just happens to be built-in :)

Squidge said:
polkunus said:

okay maybe this is my fault and i was was not clear enough...

is there anyway(maybe a usb input?) to have a simcard connected through your pandora?

polkunus said:
Squidge said:
polkunus said:

okay maybe this is my fault and i was was not clear enough...

is there anyway(maybe a usb input?) to have a simcard connected through your pandora?

And what pray tell would that accomplish? Allow you to easily move contacts from your Pandora to your Phone.

Ok, I know what you're asking for and that is mobile internet aka WWAN. SIM Cards are not the radio, they are merely an ID. There are USB radios that most service providers sell and some of these might work. Go look at the linux compatibility of these cards since well... Pandora will run a linux kernel. That being said, tethering through BT to your phone is likely a better choice. Do you really want a big USB modem sticking out of your Pandora eating up battery life galore?

Megamixman said:
Do you really want a big USB modem sticking out of your Pandora eating up battery life galore?
One of the few reasons you might want to try this is cost - some of them seem to offer far better data transfer limits for the price than data plans on a phone contract.

thanks, since im really into this, once the pandora comes out and IF i get one... i'll look into this a lot and share the compatibility results.

Back