The Sims On Pandora

devil99125

Still Fresh
I was wondering could someone possible port say sim city 2000 sim farm or any other Sim games

I was also wondering could it be possible to port The Sims just the original game not The Sims 2 :pandora1:

Uh, no. Wait, forget what I said. Some games maybe, probably not The Sims though. Some of the Sim games are actually open-sourced. But Sim City 2000 wouldn't run well as it needs a 486, at least for the PC version. SNES, PSX, GBA, etc. ports should all work fine, but they are not the same.

MacCoylton said:
I was wondering could someone possible port say sim city 2000 sim farm or any other Sim games

I was also wondering could it be possible to port The Sims just the original game not The Sims 2 :pandora1:

no

PORTS REQUIRE SOURCE CODE.

Last edited by a moderator:
MacCoylton said:

well as far as sim city and sim farm goes, thats nothing, i am fairly certain there are already linux ports of them and even if there arent they should run in dos box without any problem, especially sim farm. also might i recommend sim ant as that was great fun lol

There at least four Sims games on GBA.
Sims: Busting Out
Sims 2
Sims 2: Pets
Simcity 2000
(Urbz counts?)

SimEarth, SimAnt on SNES

and go on...

Kyosys said:
sim city is open source and available on the SNES, so that will be available
And for the PSX! Sims would be all round awesome, but unless some lovely opensource engine comes out, it won't grace the pandoras screen.

Based on my Dosbox experience on the GP2X, pretty much every Maxis title before SimCity 2000 should run fine on the Pandora. Although I didn't bother trying SimLife as it ran like a drunken turtle on my Packard Bell 386SX-16 back in the day. :lol:

Then there are the aforementioned console ports, but I remember being disappointed by them when I was a kid.

Spray190 said:
well as far as sim city and sim farm goes, thats nothing, i am fairly certain there are already linux ports of them and even if there arent they should run in dos box without any problem, especially sim farm. also might i recommend sim ant as that was great fun lol
Linux ports still require source code. The only Linux port I know about is Sim City 3000, and that's binary-only, so it won't run.

I had forgotten that the original Sim City source had been released, so that would be quite possible. However, Dosbox will not be fast enough to be able to play any of the games (the DOS version of Sim City 2000 claimed that it would run on a 386 at 25 MHz, but it's way too slow to be playable at that speed.)

It might be possible to run some of the Mac versions under Basilisk II, though, and there are SNES, N64 and PSX versions that might work well too.

The Sims is out of the question, though, as is any native port except the original Sim City, due to the lack of source code.

I don't know first hand, but I heard of a program that enables a user to run Windows games on Linux.

-Windows 95 or 98
-233 Mhz or faster Intel Pentium processor or AMD K6
-32MB RAM
-2MB Video Card, 16-bit Color Capable - DirectX 7 Certified
-Sound card - DirectX 7 Certified
-300 MB free hard disk space (additional space required for DirectX 7 installation and Windows swap file)

Personally I think the Pandora has enough power to run the program that runs Windows on Linux AND The Sims simultaneously. As long as the Pandora's Linux OS (the Pandora runs Linux as its OS right?) is compatible with this program I heard of, you should have no problem running The Sims.

Although don't go by me because I'm sure there are TONS of variables I'm forgetting.

MacCoylton said:

The original SimCity is now open source. (It was donated to the OLPC procject.) So it probably wouldn't be hard to get that running. Wouldn't be surprised if someone did this. But that's a really primitive game nowadays.

As far as I know the rest of the "Sim" line is still closed source, so ports are unlikely. (You might get the real old ones working in dos box? SimAnt? Maybe?)

However, check out "LinCity-NG", an open source rip-off of SimCity. It looks pretty awesome.

Unless EA/Maxis does something astonishingly unexpected this will never happen.

MeleeRay said:
I don't know first hand, but I heard of a program that enables a user to run Windows games on Linux.

-Windows 95 or 98
-233 Mhz or faster Intel Pentium processor or AMD K6
-32MB RAM
-2MB Video Card, 16-bit Color Capable - DirectX 7 Certified
-Sound card - DirectX 7 Certified
-300 MB free hard disk space (additional space required for DirectX 7 installation and Windows swap file)

Personally I think the Pandora has enough power to run the program that runs Windows on Linux AND The Sims simultaneously. As long as the Pandora's Linux OS (the Pandora runs Linux as its OS right?) is compatible with this program I heard of, you should have no problem running The Sims.

Although don't go by me because I'm sure there are TONS of variables I'm forgetting.
Tom` said:
In this case, Wine/Cedega (formerly WineX) runs Windows software by essentially re-implementing the parts of the Windows OS that software need to run. This still requires the processor to be compatible - since the processor itself is the same on a desktop computer whether Windows or Linux is being run, no software needs to be written to translate the actual instructions sent to the processor, just the ones to the OS. (something of an oversimplification, I suppose, but pretty close.)

Half-Life will not run on the Pandora because the CPU is an ARM CPU, which has its own instruction set that's different than the one used by x86 CPUs. In this case it doesn't have anything to do with Linux.

Now, most software that runs on Linux can probably be ported, since most software that runs on Linux has source code available. However, it has to be ported, which involves both changing the software to run on the ARM CPU and possibly other things, like reducing the memory requirements since the Pandora only has 128 MB, or reducing the screen resolution necessary to run, or making the software work better with the Pandora's controls.
Sorry, I just didn't feel like rewriting the same explanation...this has been being brought up over and over for months.

Tom` said:
Tom` said:
In this case, Wine/Cedega (formerly WineX) runs Windows software by essentially re-implementing the parts of the Windows OS that software need to run. This still requires the processor to be compatible - since the processor itself is the same on a desktop computer whether Windows or Linux is being run, no software needs to be written to translate the actual instructions sent to the processor, just the ones to the OS. (something of an oversimplification, I suppose, but pretty close.)

Half-Life will not run on the Pandora because the CPU is an ARM CPU, which has its own instruction set that's different than the one used by x86 CPUs. In this case it doesn't have anything to do with Linux.

Now, most software that runs on Linux can probably be ported, since most software that runs on Linux has source code available. However, it has to be ported, which involves both changing the software to run on the ARM CPU and possibly other things, like reducing the memory requirements since the Pandora only has 128 MB, or reducing the screen resolution necessary to run, or making the software work better with the Pandora's controls.
Sorry, I just didn't feel like rewriting the same explanation...this has been being brought up over and over for months.

Yeah I figured this would probably come up. But the fact still remains that the system requirements of the Sims is lower than the specs on the Pandora, except for the CPU. I guess that's about the only thing keeping people from using the Sims on their Pandora... Well actually you might be able to play it through PC Control. =P

Tensuke said:
But Sim City 2000 wouldn't run well as it needs a 486, at least for the PC version. SNES, PSX, GBA, etc. ports should all work fine, but they are not the same.
There's an Amiga version od Sim City 2000. Probably closest you'll get to the PC version.

SimAnt should run it DOSBox just fine, right? I've got SimAnt floppy installation disks right here. Man, that game was awesome! :D

Tom` said:
I had forgotten that the original Sim City source had been released, so that would be quite possible. However, Dosbox will not be fast enough to be able to play any of the games (the DOS version of Sim City 2000 claimed that it would run on a 386 at 25 MHz, but it's way too slow to be playable at that speed.)

I reread the thread, and found this. Are you talking about the more recent versions? The SimAnt disk I have here has 1991 printed on it, so I'd think that'd be old enough to run fine.

VRAndy said:
MacCoylton said:

The original SimCity is now open source. (It was donated to the OLPC procject.) So it probably wouldn't be hard to get that running. Wouldn't be surprised if someone did this. But that's a really primitive game nowadays.

As far as I know the rest of the "Sim" line is still closed source, so ports are unlikely. (You might get the real old ones working in dos box? SimAnt? Maybe?)

However, check out "LinCity-NG", an open source rip-off of SimCity. It looks pretty awesome.

Unless EA/Maxis does something astonishingly unexpected this will never happen.

and that is REALLY going to happen soon :)

hahahah

Tom` said:
MacCoylton said:

no

No, they do not.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_engine_recreation

A homebrew Sims-esque game would be really wicked for this, though. Especially if it's online.

EDIT: I just got told! Sorry, small mistake I made there. What I meant that for directly unportable games, many game engine recreations for some of them are open-source so there are closed-source games that could be ported onto Pandora.

Skofo said:

No, they do not.
Yes, they do. Stop confusing people. A port is what it's called, a PORT. You can port The Sims if you had the source code for it, you can port a The Sims engine recreation if you had one, or you could write a new The Sims implementation yourself and make it work on the Pandora. But don't confuse the terminology.

VRAndy said:
(...)
The original SimCity is now open source. (It was donated to the OLPC procject.) So it probably wouldn't be hard to get that running. Wouldn't be surprised if someone did this. But that's a really primitive game nowadays.(...)
Unluckily, the open source SimCity version is the old unix one, which requires an Huge screen resolution (compared to the pandora) to be playable, so there is hope, but there will also be the need for quite some work.

Back