Next Big Deadline (january 15th)

CandidStan said:
Bosbeetle said:
:ph34r: what could we expect around the 15th, some CNC prototypes. And maybe even the final go for the production.
/me is excited

I wouldn't hold my excitement bladder on that one, this project is (at least to me) known for surprise delays because of the current economic situation, manufacturer delays and supply shortages; not to mention shipping accidents and acts of FSM.

I've been excited since I joined this forum, I can stand it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bosbeetle said:
I've been excited from 3 months before i joined the forum, closing into a year now. Personally i can handle it, it's friends that that think i'm weird for telling them "I allmost have it!" for 3/4 of it now :p

But once i have mine, muhahahaha

Craigix: I think those keyboard buttons look superb.

Thats awesome! I was hoping those were the kinds of keys they were going to use, clear coating over the letters. Hope they have a nice feel.

Brockway said:
Thats awesome! I was hoping those were the kinds of keys they were going to use, clear coating over the letters. Hope they have a nice feel.

Looks like almost everything is mentioned except for the smell of the pandora :D

So how would it smell :unsure:

What if it had the smell of a Zenit camera? *That* would be something special.

...um, actually, nevermind. :rolleyes:

----------------------------------

I'm not really sure about those keys. I like those on my Psion 3a - rubber mat, but the keys are concave. Not enough tactile feedback to type comfortably though.

Chip said:
fusion_power said:
Looks good. Is this Printing completely on Top? Or is some transparent coating over the Printing? I can't see it.
It looks very much to me like the printing is done on the rubber mat, then a clear hard plastic is applied on top. You're going to have to wait for Craig to confirm or deny this, but if true then it will be virtually impossible for letters to "wear off". An ideal setup.

Exactly what I'm hoping for. :) Months ago I made some renderings with Button Printing underneeth a transparent surface:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...mp;#entry646732
maybe, someone was inspired from this? ^_^

Eniko said:
Phawx said:
Wth? Whats with all the angst? I just didn't think they did stress testing in software.

I understand you can do simulations, but simulations are just that. They DO make real life prototypes and have machines pressing and opening and closing devices in real life to test durability.

I don't know if you remember those Dell commercials where it showed the laptops being abused in real life. Like constantly dropping a laptop from 3 feet. A machine that keeps pressing the button on the keyboard. That type of stuff.

If the physical case and components of the Pandora is getting tested through Software than we should be waiting a LOT longer than three days longer. I'd recommend stress testing be done with the physical version of it as well. Hinges are probably the weakest part.

I would imagine having a company doing the testing would take a month or two.

Here --> http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/produ...bility_Test.pdf

This thread may or may not be of interest to you.

Thanks Eniko. So what happens if the software simulations detects that the hinge is the weakpoint and needs to be modified. I would assume that the January 15th deadline would be canceled.

How much more expensive would metal hinges make the Pandora. Though the Pandora Clam-shell looks identical to the DS so I doubt it would be a huge problem. It's well... the only *durability* problem I can see from the Pandora. Everything else seems like it should be fine.

The Keymat looked good. You guys have the measurements for the prototype battery. I assume the cavity for the wifi antenna and leads have already been done as well as the Stylus?

Does the software also take into account the 'play' for the LCD ribbon and the antenna leads. I assume the antenna is in the LCD housing btw. Crimping/ opening and closing the shell jostling the wires around a bit.

Thats all I can think of really.

Hinges are a problem.
Wifi Leads / LCD ribbon need perfect slack
Stylus hole if placed near an edge, when dropped could crack off completely.

Those are the only things I can see that need to be paid attention too.

Does a CNC prototype look like a standard Pandora?
Or it look more like this:
Pandora04.jpg

In the second case: when (according to the speed of the mass producion) will we see a REAL Pandora?

[I'm asking for an estimation, I know that is impossible to say the precise moment]

MarkoeZ said:
Bosbeetle said:
I've been excited from 3 months before i joined the forum, closing into a year now. Personally i can handle it, it's friends that that think i'm weird for telling them "I allmost have it!" for 3/4 of it now :p

Yes the chance that I am completely insane has increased in many of the minds of my friends because of this.

Back