News From Gph (14-11-05)

well, anyone who is basing their opinion on the 'quality' of this machine without having actually seen it, first hand, for themselves, is quite frankly: AN IDIOT.

You are the idiot. Flaming away because I don't speak Korean? WTF? Do I have to see the unit firsthand to read that there are HARDWARE problems like bad screens, broken joysticks, and earphone jacks that fall apart? NO. I don't need to speak Korean either, plenty of the posts were translated from Korean so your point is moot.

I don't care that much about the buggy firmware, it is the numerous reported HARDWARE problems that are a concern. Will they be fixed? let's hope. If you had half a brain you would see what a hardware fault can do to the reputation of a unit. Lik-Sang stopped selling the GP32 BLU+ because of a MINOR incompatibility with the screens. What do you think they will do when the returns start to flood in with the GP2X?

Calling us "idiots" because we have concerns with buggy systems is retarded. These should have NEVER been released this way. And no I wasn't one that was whining about the delays. I would rather wait an extra month and have it done right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are, at best, second-hand news. And nobody says anything if their 2X works well... If 3% of shipped units have problems, it's that 3% that pops up everywhere.

well, anyone who is basing their opinion on the 'quality' of this machine without having actually seen it, first hand, for themselves, is quite frankly: AN IDIOT.

You are the idiot. Flaming away because I don't speak Korean? WTF? Do I have to see the unit firsthand to read that there are HARDWARE problems like bad screens, broken joysticks, and earphone jacks that fall apart? NO. I don't need to speak Korean either, plenty of the posts were translated from Korean so your point is moot.

I don't care that much about the buggy firmware, it is the numerous reported HARDWARE problems that are a concern. Will they be fixed? let's hope. If you had half a brain you would see what a hardware fault can do to the reputation of a unit. Lik-Sang stopped selling the GP32 BLU+ because of a MINOR incompatibility with the screens. What do you think they will do when the returns start to flood in with the GP2X?

Calling us "idiots" because we have concerns with buggy systems is retarded. These should have NEVER been released this way. And no I wasn't one that was whining about the delays. I would rather wait an extra month and have it done right.
He has a good point, i think about it the same way as he does.
I don't care about bad firmware, it can be fixed easily.
Hardware that isn't functioning right, that's the problem.

the simple facts we know are that gbax are still testing ALL the systems they have so far and are yet to post these out and they won't be sent out for at least a couple of days more (source: gbax) and this alone shows that GPH are sending out systems which frankly were not ready for the consumer market. It is lucky for us that a reputable company such as GBAX are prepared to check out each one stringently before preparing to ship them to us.

ps - @torpor, look in the mirror and you will see what the real definition of 'full of shit' is.

gbax checks them couse of the complains of the korean useres, afaik they had no single faulty unit so far.

I think everyone has valid points but at this time I think its better to keep an unbiased open mind about the GP2X problems. From my point of view I have only seen a few hardware related issues so far in the Korean units and to be honest out of these only the headphone jack soldering bothers me.

What we have to remember is that these 500 units would have been produced in the very first production run meaning a few (3% would be 15 units) could have slipped through the quality control (QC) process. Such things as bad soldering most likely would have been picked up on by the time the first 50/100 had gone through QC and the production process hopefully altered to fix it.

I dont see the big deal and all these people giving negative feedback doesn’t change what the GP2X is and will do. I can understand people cancelling their pre-orders and waiting for the bugs to be ironed out that is a quite sensible move if £130 is a lot of money. However abandoning the scene and blatantly slagging off the system is unnecessary at this time especially as Craigix & Ed are checking all units anyway so yours arriving with problems is unlikely.

At the end of the day when large numbers of people start to report hardware problems with batches from GBAX.com and other sources maybe the complaining will be warranted and maybe I'll even agree with what people are saying but at the moment I think things are getting a little out of proportion and this hysterical behaviour is quite unecessary.

i know i know, people really like to flame here :D

but anyways.. I really dont care about software problems, since they can be fixed later. For me, the real concern is about the hardware ones...

Those buggy joysticks or the headphone jacks.. How much of those units were released?

I think everyone has valid points but at this time I think its better to keep an unbiased open mind about the GP2X problems. From my point of view I have only seen a few hardware related issues so far in the Korean units and to be honest out of these only the headphone jack soldering bothers me.

Actually for me the biggest concerns are the uneven lit and noisy LCD screens, and bad joystick. I am very picky about screen quality, a bad pixel to me is not exceptable. Noise and uneven lighting is even worse. The headphone thing doesn't even bother me much. I can just go in there and solder it back. The screen and stick can't be fixed by me though.

Actually for me the biggest concerns are the uneven lit and noisy LCD screens, and bad joystick. I am very picky about screen quality, a bad pixel to me is not exceptable. Noise and uneven lighting is even worse. The headphone thing doesn't even bother me much. I can just go in there and solder it back. The screen and stick can't be fixed by me though.

The LCD problem doesnt worry me personally as I know craigix is reportably checking all the screens on the GBAX units before they ship , so thats already covered for me. From what I have read about the joystick it seems to be fixed by simply turning it in order to loosen it up a little, not the best solution I admit however if it works then I have no complaints in that respect either.

Like I said lets wait for more people to start reporting these problems on here before we start to blow things out of proportion and assume if they will be fixable, assuming they will be present at all. Anyone with doubts can cancel their pre-order and wait for facts rather than speculation but personally Im pretty confident that things are going to go pretty smoothly.

all the lcd problems at the moment are couse of bad timeing afaik, this will be fixed with a firmware update. (was allready partialy with the last one)

at least craig & the girls are taking things seriously and ensuring that each and every system leaving him is thoroughly checked over. Plus GBAX's returns policy was and surely will be excellent.

DaveC said:
Actually for me the biggest concerns are the uneven lit and noisy LCD screens, and bad joystick.

1) The LCD issue has been confirmed as firmware and was mostly fixed in the recent firmware update. There is a "diagonal" issue which is still being worked on. The only hardware issue confirmed is that people thought the vinyl covering was part of the screen.

2) The few reports of "bad joystick" were a case of the screws being too tight on that side of the unit. After slightly relieving the pressure by unscrewing a half-turn, or by simply rotating the joystick a little, the issue was fixed.

Your two biggest concerns are completely unfounded.

Back