News From Gph (14-11-05)

Website
Visit site
Translated from the www.gp32spain.com site (link).

GPH has just published on the Korean side of ther site, the following up-to-date infos about the various GP2X problems.

SD Cards

At the moment 2GB SD cards are not recognized; the following models has been tested to be working:

1. Transcend Mind-SD 128M, SD 128
2. LG SD 1G
3. Teravit 80X SD 1G
4. UMAX 60X SD 1G
5. Imation SD 512M
6. Sandisk 1G, 512M, 256M (}sdsdb{-1024-}a{10 income product)
7. A-DATA My Flash SD 1G
8. C$i-O DATA SD 512M
9. MAX Ultra Pro II SD 1G

There are some problems regarding read/write speed, and another problem about the inability to use all the 64 MB of NAND memory. Both these problems are going to be corrected in a new release of the FW.

USB Connection

Only Windows 2000 (SP 4) and Windows XP are working.

Sometimes the GP2X is not recognized if it is connected with the SD already inserted.

LCD screen

The already released FW update solves the first reported LCD problems.

New releases will solve the diagonal fault.

It seems there are problems with the vinil that covers the LCD screen.

Headphones

Some users are reporting problems with the HP jack; the indicated solution is to fully insert the jack into the plug :huh:

Hardware defects in some units

Joystick - some problems with the up-left direction; only appreciable in Test Mode.

Cable USB - some cables are defective; GPH will replace it if the customer complains

Red LED - in some units it does not light on.

Battery life

With this video:
Eastern image format: Eastern image (DviX 4, 320*240, 30 frames, 800Kbps) and future of the company tu (}mp{3, 2CH, 128Kbps, 44KHz)

and these batteries:
Sanyo Ni-MH 2500mA, 1.2V

the duration is 3 hours and 10 minutes. GH says that they plan to bring battery duration to 4 hours in the same conditions.

Oher Firmware faults
Boot-up time will be reduced to 20 secs. A loading screen defect will be resolved, and the always-on battery LED will be corrected.

Other software

Video Player
Problems with Pause, with the Xvid codec due to instability of SD reading (see above).

MP3 Player
Minor equalizer and GUI problems to be solved.

Text Viewer
Some little improvement to be done.

Image Viewer
Some little improvement to be done: brightness/contrast zoom and support for images of size superior to 2048 X 1024 (actual maximum size)

SDK
It will be published after all the FW faults are solved.

Translated from the www.gp32spain.com site (link).

GPH has just published on the Korean side of ther site, the following up-to-date infos about the various GP2X problems.

LCD screen

The already released FW update solves the first reported LCD problems.

New releases will solve the diagonal fault.

It seems there are problems with the vinil that covers the LCD screen.

How would a firmware update fix a vinyl covering on an LCD? That is a hardware issue. That doesn't make any sense.

This is worrying. They are trying to fix hardware problems with firmware patch jobs. It seems like they are just using firmware hacks to cover up rather than fix bad hardware. What happens when new firmwares are made by homebrew devs? These problems all come back?

This is very bad. They would be better off to just recall all of the dodgy units and fix or replace them when they get the bugs worked out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love your posts Dave, so cheery and never a knee-jerk reaction in sight :D

"The already released FW update solves the first reported LCD problems."
The already released firmware update fixes this problem.

"New releases will solve the diagonal fault."
Future firmware releases will fix this fault, whatever they mean by "diagonal fault".

"It seems there are problems with the vinil that covers the LCD screen."
Any mention of firmware there? No, so it's obviously not something they're trying to fix with "firmware patch jobs".

This is about the third time I've seen posts by you about how terrible this situation is. When are you going to cancel your order and just be quiet? ;)

the units sound damn shoddy for a released system.

These shouldnt be past the beta stage, never mind retail if they have a list of problems as big as this.

very very poor.

Future firmware releases will fix this fault, whatever they mean by "diagonal fault".

Any mention of firmware there? No, so it's obviously not something they're trying to fix with "firmware patch jobs".

This is about the third time I've seen posts by you about how terrible this situation is. When are you going to cancel your order and just be quiet? ;)
he is entitled to his own opinion, isnt he??

What happens when new firmwares are made by homebrew devs? These problems all come back?
No, only the hardware issues come back, which is actually very few:
  • Issues with Up-Left on Joystick [This can be "fixed" with software.]
  • Defective USB Cables [GPH is taking care of it, giving people new ones.]
  • Issues with Vinyl Cover on LCD Screen [What?]
  • Issues with Headphone Jack [This isn't even confirmed to be a real problem.]
  • Defective Red LED [Not the end of the world, but if I have it, I know my GP2X is getting returned. :blink: ]
Apparently, most of them are fairly rare, and doesn't Craig check all of the units himself?

Any mention of firmware there?  No, so it's obviously not something they're trying to fix with "firmware patch jobs".

This is about the third time I've seen posts by you about how terrible this situation is.  When are you going to cancel your order and just be quiet? ;)

Agreed. Never a nice comment. ever!

I find it funny that in another post he was questioning me on how a firmware upgrade could solve the backlight issue, but it did!!! Ahhhhhhhh.

I'm only concerned about hardware problems. My only fear is that I'll be forced to return the unit. The swedish postal system is one of the most expensive in the world. Shipping with insurance would cost me €34 <_<

I'm only concerned about hardware problems. My only fear is that I'll be forced to return the unit. The swedish postal system is one of the most expensive in the world. Shipping with insurance would cost me €34 <_<

Well that is a justifiable worry, and I too hope that I'm not forced to send the unit back for a genuine fault.

My complaint is with the number of scare-mongering posts around here I guess... Several times we've had posts from relatively new members adopted as fact, without question, by regular posters, then rubbished by people who actually have a GP2X. The "vinyl problem" comes to mind - apparently someone was complaining about the (obviously removable) protective screen cover being scratched, and this was immediately leapt upon as being a hardware problem.

I'm taking a break from these forums until I actually get a GP2X in my sweaty palms. Hopefully I'll only be gone for a few days now :)

This is about the third time I've seen posts by you about how terrible this situation is.  When are you going to cancel your order and just be quiet? ;)

And my post is the only one concerned about dodgy hardware? No, you just chose to flame me for some reason. Why don't you go and flame half of the members of this board that might have a concern or a less than glowing comment on this buggy mess that was released.

And my post is the only one concerned about dodgy hardware? No, you just chose to flame me for some reason. Why don't you go and flame half of the members of this board that might have a concern or a less than glowing comment on this buggy mess that was released.

No, your post was the only one from someone whose opinion I actually respected before the baseless criticism posted ad infiniteum.

I've lurked here a long time before registering, and it just confuses me that someone who is so obviously into the scene can be so negative, and for no reason. Some of these "OMG, the GP2X is falling apart in my hands!" posts are being written by newly registered posters, yet taken as fucking gospel.

A SNES emu (OK, OK, it's alpha and looks slow at the minute, but still...) has been released for the western launch of the GP2X - aren't you at least a *little* bit optimistic? Come on, smile :)

And my post is the only one concerned about dodgy hardware?  No, you just chose to flame me for some reason.  Why don't you go and flame half of the members of this board that might have a concern or a less than glowing comment on this buggy mess that was released.

No, your post was the only one from someone whose opinion I actually respected before the baseless criticism posted ad infiniteum.

I've lurked here a long time before registering, and it just confuses me that someone who is so obviously into the scene can be so negative, and for no reason. Some of these "OMG, the GP2X is falling apart in my hands!" posts are being written by newly registered posters, yet taken as fucking gospel.

A SNES emu (OK, OK, it's alpha and looks slow at the minute, but still...) has been released for the western launch of the GP2X - aren't you at least a *little* bit optimistic? Come on, smile :)

What baseless criticism? I think my criticisms have a base. Ok so maybe the "firmware to patch vinyl" bit was a bit excessive, I am not perfect. But otherwise the concerns have base.

Negative for no reason? Again there is reason. The Gp2X is a buggy mess. Bad FW, bad joysticks, bad screens, earphone jacks that fall off. I should just say it is ok that these things are so messed up? Don't you realize how bad this is? This will go alot farther than a little whining on this forum. What happens when engadget or slashdot get a hold of this thing and rip it to shreds on their sites calling it a buggy piece of garbage. They are much less forgiving than we are. This will hurt this thing for along time. My few concerns that I may express will be nothing in comparison.

SNES "emu"? No, sorry I am not excited. a 2 FPS emu is not too exciting to me. I have been here long enough to know that quick ports of emus like this come and go. It takes a few hours to port but months to get it useable. Most emus get abandoned as fast as they are made as it becomes too much work to get to a decent level. I have seen this many times. Call me pessimistic and flame away but those are just the cold facts.

I will say it's probably not worse than Italy, Eolair, if what I hear is true. Unless, of course, nobody in Sweden knows how much it costs to send a letter either...

Back