Where The Data?!

Mattchewie

Still Fresh
So, I bought a GP2X from my friend. With it he gave me a 512 sd card and I have a 1G sd card laying around. I noticed that the FW is at 1.2.1 so I wanted to update it. So I read up on the wiki.gp2x.org on how to do that. So I format the sd card on windows (FAT32) copy over the image and follow the process and no updating occurs. So I'm reading and reading and I find out that you should use an AC adapter as so not to brick the device. No problem, I go to the store, and I have a AC adapter on the way. So I put in the 512 sd card that is formated to fat32 and copy a ogg file over, ...well now I don't see that file in the music player, the explore....ANYTHING!

So I try the same with the 1gig, same issue....won't show me the files.

Anyone have a clue what might be up here? I mean it had data on it when it was given to me and it worked fine . Did this formating screw with how the GP2x can read it.

Oh also, on a bummer note, I just noticed that this is Mark1 :(.....had I known it was a Mark 1, I would of saved another 100 bucks and got the M2

Well, I got it. I used FAT16 and got the files to read but this now begs the question. How in the heck do you really update the firmware?? Unless I follow the directions but use FAT16 instead?

Oh also, on a bummer note, I just noticed that this is Mark1 :(.....had I known it was a Mark 1, I would of saved another 100 bucks and got the M2

What's wrong with MK1? :huh:

Anyway, try formatting the card on another PC/OS/Card reader

Last edited by a moderator:
mrsnature said:

What's wrong with MK1? :huh:

Anyway, try formatting the card on another PC/OS/Card reader

? I'm "assuming" MK2 is a VAST improvment from MK2....by all that I have read on the net?.

Also, I tired formating in both Linux and Windows, but same issue. However I did find "flash utilities" that you can run from one (depending on utility) menu. I will try that I guess unless anyone advises not to?

Mattchewie said:
? I'm "assuming" MK2 is a VAST improvment from MK2....by all that I have read on the net?.
No, they're the same thing.

Mattchewie said:
meh. not a huge difference. probably the screen is slightly better. but i still feel kind of like you do, even though when i bought mine there were no mk2s...

also, don't mean to be pedantic but as a former philosophy student this bothers me:

An argument that improperly assumes as true the very point the speaker is trying to argue for is said in formal logic to “beg the question.” Here is an example of a question-begging argument: “This painting is trash because it is obviously worthless.” The speaker is simply asserting the worthlessness of the work, not presenting any evidence to demonstrate that this is in fact the case. Since we never use “begs” with this odd meaning (“to improperly take for granted”) in any other phrase, many people mistakenly suppose the phrase implies something quite different: that the argument demands that a question about it be asked—raises the question.

(from http://wsu.edu/~brians/errors/begs.html )

if anyone tries to make the argument that "language evolves and phrases mean whatever the majority of people believe they mean, keep in mind that the new meaning is not necessary, whereas "begs the question" is a really convenient way of saying "structures the argument such that the proposition assumes the conclusions and vice versa". also keep in mind that i will find out where you live, go there, and beat you.

trooper said:
rokdcasbah said:
also keep in mind that i will find out where you live, go there, and beat you.
I beg to differ. :p

Trooper

sorry but begging to differ will not get you beaten, only begging the question. :p

edit: i should probably clarify that i am not, in fact, an ass. most of the time. but there are a couple of things that get to me, like they're/there/their...but i guess english itself is most of the problem...

rokdcasbah said:
Mattchewie said:
meh. not a huge difference. probably the screen is slightly better. but i still feel kind of like you do, even though when i bought mine there were no mk2s...

also, don't mean to be pedantic but as a former philosophy student this bothers me:

An argument that improperly assumes as true the very point the speaker is trying to argue for is said in formal logic to “beg the question.” Here is an example of a question-begging argument: “This painting is trash because it is obviously worthless.” The speaker is simply asserting the worthlessness of the work, not presenting any evidence to demonstrate that this is in fact the case. Since we never use “begs” with this odd meaning (“to improperly take for granted”) in any other phrase, many people mistakenly suppose the phrase implies something quite different: that the argument demands that a question about it be asked—raises the question.

(from http://wsu.edu/~brians/errors/begs.html )

if anyone tries to make the argument that "language evolves and phrases mean whatever the majority of people believe they mean, keep in mind that the new meaning is not necessary, whereas "begs the question" is a really convenient way of saying "structures the argument such that the proposition assumes the conclusions and vice versa". also keep in mind that i will find out where you live, go there, and beat you.
\

Oddly enough, I never knew that. I think this site explains the abuse of it well and takes a very small look why most jack up "begging the question". http://begthequestion.info/

Mattchewie said:
Oddly enough, I never knew that. I think this site explains the abuse of it well and takes a very small look why most jack up "begging the question". http://begthequestion.info/

offtopic: if you haven't had the chance to, and you start reading up on the various logical fallacies and how to avoid them, it's a real eye opener. like here. people are so bad at making arguments (at least the people i know :D)

for instance: confusing cause & effect, creating a false dilemma, ad hominem, straw men, relativism, red herrings, etc.

a word of warning though...if you try and watch any sort of political show or pundit afterwards, you will most likely kill yourself.

Back